History

BDURHAM

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta admit I was somewhat ticked at McCallie in 96. They did wrestle an illegal wrestler or 2 knowingly and then had the gall to bring a lawsuit against the TSSAA when they got penalized. I think it made a bad situation worse.

But Stan, your condescending questions about why the privates "let it happen" just tick me off.

First, we didn't 'let it happen' just like we didn't let the highest multiplier in the country or what amounts to a kick in the teeth with realignment happen. We weren't given any choice because we have 0 representation at the TSSAA.

Second, we have all asked for some representation...the response was a rep on the advisory board...wooh, that's good stuff. Truth is the public schools just aren't going to give us any reps...even though we are 20% of the organization.

Third, the small non-aid privates did mobilize...if you remember the original vote was to put ALL privates in DII...we went to the TSSAA and explained the difference between large, elite, wealthy privates and smaller mostly religious ones. Thus they allowed non-aid schools to stay in DI. They didn't want too, but if they were claiming that BA and the other elites had an advantage because of aid, they clearly would be hypocritical to force non-aid schools in with them.

Even the hint that we are to blame for this, especially the smaller privates who are catching all the crap, is just a feeble effort to get the spotlight away from the real reason all this is happening...the publics are ok with dominating public programs and all the myriad advantages different publics have but any private that wins is evil. What a hypocritical double standard. Discrimination pure and simple.

You may have interpreted my comments as being condescending, but

I assure you they were not. I was and am serious.

There is simply no reason for the privates to not organize and effectively

negotiate with the TSSAA. I keep reading how D2 has been screwed again,

etc. Then do something about it!

The problem is that everyone is spread out across the state, everyone is

busy trying to coach and operate schools, and everyone is trying to cope

with all the changes and challenges of rising fuel prices. If everyone would

sit together and think this thing through, a few leaders could help work

toward building a better relationship between publics and privates.

The history matters, and to ignore it is to ignore the reality of the problem.

Publics and privates are different, and it is up to the privates to bridge the

gap. BA's lawsuit and willingness to destroy high school football and

athletics in a lawsuit certainly widened the gap.

It is a like a bad relationship where both sides do things that destroy the

relationship and then act as though nothing ever happened. "Why does

this person want to leave me? What's the problem?" Or, "Why does this

person want to dump me (or worse, divorce me)?"

There are valid reasons for both sides to not like and trust each other.

If the history is not acknowledged and dealt with, then how can there

be a real relationship in the present?

All this name-calling and belly-aching and whinning on these boards is

counterproductive. Either work toward a solution, or expect to be miserable

in a bad relationship.

Gotta admit I was somewhat ticked at McCallie in 96. They did wrestle an illegal wrestler or 2 knowingly and then had the gall to bring a lawsuit against the TSSAA when they got penalized. I think it made a bad situation worse.

But Stan, your condescending questions about why the privates "let it happen" just tick me off.

First, we didn't 'let it happen' just like we didn't let the highest multiplier in the country or what amounts to a kick in the teeth with realignment happen. We weren't given any choice because we have 0 representation at the TSSAA.

Second, we have all asked for some representation...the response was a rep on the advisory board...wooh, that's good stuff. Truth is the public schools just aren't going to give us any reps...even though we are 20% of the organization.

Third, the small non-aid privates did mobilize...if you remember the original vote was to put ALL privates in DII...we went to the TSSAA and explained the difference between large, elite, wealthy privates and smaller mostly religious ones. Thus they allowed non-aid schools to stay in DI. They didn't want too, but if they were claiming that BA and the other elites had an advantage because of aid, they clearly would be hypocritical to force non-aid schools in with them.

Even the hint that we are to blame for this, especially the smaller privates who are catching all the crap, is just a feeble effort to get the spotlight away from the real reason all this is happening...the publics are ok with dominating public programs and all the myriad advantages different publics have but any private that wins is evil. What a hypocritical double standard. Discrimination pure and simple.

. . . but I believe this is revisionist thinking . . .

I find it ironic that you start a topic and mention "revisionist thinking". The private schools keep get screwed over by the actions of the BOC and somehow the fault lies with the private schools because they have not "bridged the gap"? I don't follow that logic.

It is a like a bad relationship where both sides do things that destroy the

relationship and then act as though nothing ever happened. "Why does

this person want to leave me? What's the problem?" Or, "Why does this

person want to dump me (or worse, divorce me)?"

Great analogy...........and just as most of the situations you mentioned above.........

THIS WILL ALL END BADLY.

Instead of both sides being rational and working through there differences, IMO this has

become so deliberate and biased that there is no way to kiss and make up. End the end....

everyone will lose and believe me......most of the publics that are for a split, are only looking

at the privates they can't beat.....not the ones they schedule to pad their win column! Won't know

what you've got........till it's gone.

Let's just hope noone mentions the "s" word......three letters.......not four.

I have always been for a split. Travel costs don't mean that much to me because we are broke as it is

just trying to send our kid to private school. Would help alot if they would cut me a tax break and give

the money back I have to put in to the public school systems here that they have ........ABSOLUTELY RUINED!

I'm thinking now a split is not enough....I don't want the house, the money nor do I want to see the TSSAA every other weekend!

P.S. Married for 17 wonderful years.......above comments are NOT from bad personal experiences.

You are failing to state the flip side of the story. The privates gave in at this point. The McCallie episode was the final straw. It was preferred to be in their "own" division rather than try to follow the rules. Strange isn't it how some privates failed to follow the rules before the BA case?

Although it would have been difficult, the privates should have continued to mobilize and make their case to the TSSAA. Surely the educated and well-financed privates could have made a better internal move to change things within the TSSAA. Surely the privates could have advocated for BOC representation. But I suggest that the McCallie episode took the wind of the privates's sails. The privates had lost credibility in the debate. They agreed to the rules that they could not maintain.

Both sides are at fault and responsible for the split. Not one school, not one faction, not one man.

Not relevant to the public - private debate. But sure,I like Hillsboro.

I guess you are free to write whatever you want on this board, but none of this is true. It does make me laugh though--McCallie breaks the rules and "privates had lost all credibility in the debate." What sort of crediblity did the publics bring to the table, given that Hillwood had forfeited wrestling matches in the late 80s for wrestling ineligible wrestlers? You see, publics can't follow the rules either, but you don't see private schools rushing to push them into their own division.

I have always been for a split. Travel costs don't mean that much to me because we are broke as it is

just trying to send our kid to private school. Would help alot if they would cut me a tax break and give

the money back I have to put in to the public school systems here that they have ........ABSOLUTELY RUINED!

I'm thinking now a split is not enough....I don't want the house, the money nor do I want to see the TSSAA every other weekend!

I am laughing my tail off.......Thanks for the smile.

It would be oh so funny if it were not all so true.

I don't understand this perspective, "the privates keep getting screwed."

How are the privates getting screwed? On the other side of the fence

the sentiment is that the public 1A and 2A public schools keep getting

screwed.

In the tune and voice of Bob Dylan, "Rainy Day Women #12 & 35"

(with apologies to Bob Dylan for screwing up his song):

Well, they'll screw ya when you're trying to be so good,

They'll screw ya just a-like they said they would.

They'll screw ya when you're tryin' to go home.

Then they'll screw ya when you're there all alone.

But I would not feel so all alone,

Everybody must get screwed.

I find it ironic that you start a topic and mention "revisionist thinking". The private schools keep get screwed over by the actions of the BOC and somehow the fault lies with the private schools because they have not "bridged the gap"? I don't follow that logic.

I don't understand this perspective, "the privates keep getting screwed."

How are the privates getting screwed? On the other side of the fence

the sentiment is that the public 1A and 2A public schools keep getting

screwed.

In the tune and voice of Bob Dylan, "Rainy Day Women #12 & 35"

(with apologies to Bob Dylan for screwing up his song):

Well, they'll screw ya when you're trying to be so good,

They'll screw ya just a-like they said they would.

They'll screw ya when you're tryin' to go home.

Then they'll screw ya when you're there all alone.

But I would not feel so all alone,

Everybody must get screwed.

"screwed" (skrood'). adj. 1) placement of subpar competitors of unequal quantities with those of larger with

proclamation of equality. 2) slang. to "boink" 3) Poorly quoted Dylan song.

Technicality there--McCallie was actually sued along with TSSAA by the parents of the kids involved. But Judge Edgar moved them to the plaintiff's side because they would benefit from the parents winning.

On another note, even if the privates do organize, what leverage do they have?

IMO, if the private schools are forced to leave the TSSAA (which they will not be because the TSSAA wants the extra income) or they make the choice to form another organization they will be fine. If other states have a prep/private school league that competes both in their home state and out of state Tennessee schools will be able to do the same. Often times these schools compete for National Prep School Championships and not state championships in their home state.

This whole public vs private school athletic debate is a joke when you notice that the Tennessee public schools are near the bottom with national test scores. Should everyone (both public & private) not be focused on ACADEMICS and safety in the classroom instead of playing a game? The manner with which the TSSAA Board of Control is acting makes the whole state of Tennessee apear to be nothing more than a group of uneducated rednecks. The sad thing is that those same uneducated rednecks are leading the Tennessee public school system and we as residents of Tennessee are allowing them to do so.