History

BDURHAM

Should everyone (both public & private) not be focused on ACADEMICS and safety in the classroom instead of playing a game? The manner with which the TSSAA Board of Control is acting makes the whole state of Tennessee apear to be nothing more than a group of uneducated rednecks. The sad thing is that those same uneducated rednecks are leading the Tennessee public school system and we as residents of Tennessee are allowing them to do so.

well said.........

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand this perspective, "the privates keep getting screwed."

How are the privates getting screwed? On the other side of the fence

the sentiment is that the public 1A and 2A public schools keep getting

screwed.

You are very good at using the debater's tactic of ignoring my question. I questioned your assertion - "Publics and privates are different, and it is up to the privates to bridge the gap." by posting "somehow the fault lies with the private schools because they have not "bridged the gap"?". Again, you did not answer my question.

I will answer your question - "How are the privates getting screwed? ". (BTW - "getting screwed" is a hyperbole.) Two items quickly come to mind - the creation of D2 and the multiplier rule.

Yes, I can see where 1A and 2A public schools would think they got screwed. Who is to blame for that? I will answer for you - the TSSAA Board of Control.

JMHO

What was the question?

We all know how the privates and publics are different, right?

We have been over it a hundred times.

Do we disagree on how the publics and privates differ?

Obviously. If we all thought they were the same, then

we wouldn't be debating this issue to the end of time.

How do we get them back together?

You are very good at using the debater's tactic of ignoring my question. I questioned your assertion - "Publics and privates are different, and it is up to the privates to bridge the gap." by posting "somehow the fault lies with the private schools because they have not "bridged the gap"?". Again, you did not answer my question.

I will answer your question - "How are the privates getting screwed? ". (BTW - "getting screwed" is a hyperbole.) Two items quickly come to mind - the creation of D2 and the multiplier rule.

Yes, I can see where 1A and 2A public schools would think they got screwed. Who is to blame for that? I will answer for you - the TSSAA Board of Control.

JMHO

What was the question?

Stan,

If you want them back together you do the following for football but you must have courage which is something that I don't see the Board of Control having:

1. You eliminate D2 & D1 and have one division with 4 classifications

2. All financial aid schools must play in 3A or 4A and have no more than 5 players per team receiving financial aid ($1.00 is receiving financial aid) allowed to play varsity football

3. All private schools must play in 2A or higher unless they are starting a new program and then they will be allowed to play in 1A during the first 4 years

4. Go back to districts and only take the top 2 teams in each district to the playoffs.

5. All teams with 6 wins may attend an invitational bowl game with 50% of the gate going to the TSSAA and each team receiving 25% of the gate.

6. Open zoned, schools that allow out of county students and magnet schools must play in 3A or 4A

What was the question?

I have included your posts and my posts from the last 2 days below - I have underlined and bolded so you can see my questions. It is interesting that you picked up on the "getting screwed" portion of my posts but not the part where I questioned how you can possibly blame the private schools for not "bridging the gap".

I understand why you ignored my question. It is because you cannot defend a position that puts the blame for the creation of D2 and the multiplier on the private schools.

BTW. I know I did not the questions from your latest post.

Here the your post from yesterday at 6:41 AM -

"You may have interpreted my comments as being condescending, but

I assure you they were not. I was and am serious.

There is simply no reason for the privates to not organize and effectively

negotiate with the TSSAA. I keep reading how D2 has been screwed again,

etc. Then do something about it!

The problem is that everyone is spread out across the state, everyone is

busy trying to coach and operate schools, and everyone is trying to cope

with all the changes and challenges of rising fuel prices. If everyone would

sit together and think this thing through, a few leaders could help work

toward building a better relationship between publics and privates.

The history matters, and to ignore it is to ignore the reality of the problem.

Publics and privates are different, and it is up to the privates to bridge the

gap. BA's lawsuit and willingness to destroy high school football and

athletics in a lawsuit certainly widened the gap.

It is a like a bad relationship where both sides do things that destroy the

relationship and then act as though nothing ever happened. "Why does

this person want to leave me? What's the problem?" Or, "Why does this

person want to dump me (or worse, divorce me)?"

There are valid reasons for both sides to not like and trust each other.

If the history is not acknowledged and dealt with, then how can there

be a real relationship in the present?

All this name-calling and belly-aching and whinning on these boards is

counterproductive. Either work toward a solution, or expect to be miserable

in a bad relationship."

Here is my post from yesterday at 8:11 AM -

"I find it ironic that you start a topic and mention "revisionist thinking". The private schools keep get screwed over by the actions of the BOC and somehow the fault lies with the private schools because they have not "bridged the gap"? I don't follow that logic"

Your post from yesterday at 8:54 PM -

"I don't understand this perspective, "the privates keep getting screwed."

How are the privates getting screwed? On the other side of the fence

the sentiment is that the public 1A and 2A public schools keep getting

screwed.

In the tune and voice of Bob Dylan, "Rainy Day Women #12 & 35"

(with apologies to Bob Dylan for screwing up his song):

Well, they'll screw ya when you're trying to be so good,

They'll screw ya just a-like they said they would.

They'll screw ya when you're tryin' to go home.

Then they'll screw ya when you're there all alone.

But I would not feel so all alone,

Everybody must get screwed."

My post from today at 8:05 AM -

"You are very good at using the debater's tactic of ignoring my question. I questioned your assertion - "Publics and privates are different, and it is up to the privates to bridge the gap." by posting "somehow the fault lies with the private schools because they have not "bridged the gap"?". Again, you did not answer my question.

JMHO"

Stan,

If you want them back together you do the following for football but you must have courage which is something that I don't see the Board of Control having:

I'll say it's even more simple than that. There has to be a desire on the part of publics to embrace competition, which they currently do not have. Right now, there are ample opportunities for us to play each other in games that don't count for anything, and most of the publics in 4a and 5a refuse even to play those. So how are we ever going to convince them to embrace a reconciled structure? Trust me, they are all too happy to sit over in D1, ignore our requests for games, and pretend we don't exist so that they can preserve the illusion that they are actually the better division. The sad thing for them is, should their best play our best, they'd probably win a lot of games and generate a lot of bragging rights. It's too bad for the kids and fans that a lot of coaches and administrators deny them that chance. I qualify this statement by saying that several teams in 4a and 5a, such as Ravenwood, Smyrna, Independence, Antioch, Melrose, Alcoa, and others have in fact embraced competition with D2 schools over the past several years.

Of course publics and privates are different. The problem is that the publics have latched onto these differences as an excuse to avoid competition. The publics have shown no desire whatsoever to sacrifice, compromise, or meet in the middle, and sadly our "leadership" at the TSSAA has never made them do so. Furthermore, the publics have accepted as conventional wisdom that financial aid equals an unfair advantage, even though there is no historical data to support such a claim.

How to get us back together? Let most of the existing decision makers in the TSSAA retire, and allow a new generation of people who are actual thinkers and problem solvers rather than panderers take over.

How to get us back together? Let most of the existing decision makers in the TSSAA retire, and allow a new generation of people who are actual thinkers and problem solvers rather than panderers take over.

Have you lost your mind.....there is NO way they would ever let the privates control the board 9-0! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

• 2 weeks later...

I'm coming into the debate a little late, but I was a football /wrestling coach at the time of this mess. FBall was the anvil and wrestling was the hammer to create the split.

McCallie won 6 individual state championships that year. 5 of those boys had already won a state championship in other states the year before. The 6th young man was about the poorest kid in Chattanooga (will sign with Oklahoma and be released due to selling drugs) The actual split did not take place for about 4 more years and I was a school administrator by then, but this was the impetus that set everything into motion.

At the Saturday coaches meeting, where we raise issues and suggestions with the TSSAA. It was amazing the number of Nashville coaches who talked about the number of Administrators, FB, and BB coaches that had taken a most recent interest in Wrestling. They really pushed for two divisions for 2 reasons.

1) they, the coaches really wanted it

2) they had massive support and push behind them

I'm not sure that they could have done this based on Football alone, subliminally football was the driving force, but an out of control wrestling program was an easy target. The Wrestling Coach, Coach Connell is a dear friend of mine and he paid dearly for it. He is still a good friend.

Thank you for listening to a fox hole report.

From the trenches

David Hollowell

Retired

Formerly wrestling/FB coach/school Administrator

Greeneville High School