Volleyball All-Star Games 21-jun-2008 at Centennial High School?

wcdiv

I have no idea how the selection was made but I know many times factors like travel distance and player schedules, especially graduated seniors have an impact. They may have been invited but could not make the commitment. I have photos from the A/AA finals and the Anderson County team was great. See the following link of photos that I sent to Anderson County High School, http://www.achs.acs.ac/Athletics/ACVolleyb...%20pictures.htm

Yes, WCDIV, you are correct. Many times players turn down the invitation to play in the TACA All Star Match because of their summer commitments and schedules.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, WCDIV, you are correct. Many times players turn down the invitation to play in the TACA All Star Match because of their summer commitments and schedules.

I know the setter (Leffew) from AC was not asked and I am pretty sure the other two seniors (Bollinger and Pittman)were not asked either.

Not complaining but I too can't believe the schools mentioned above did not have some one on the squad.

Good luck to all the players in the matches.

The AAA East vs. West match will be at 2pm and the A-AA East vs. West will be at 4pm. That's all I know.

Obviously this is just a fund raiser for Centennial. I am still looking for all of the "West" players. Shouldn't this actually be called East vs Middle? Should be a good time for those asked to attend though.

Obviously this is just a fund raiser for Centennial. I am still looking for all of the "West" players. Shouldn't this actually be called East vs Middle? Should be a good time for those asked to attend though.

Congrats to all the players that were invited, but I agree that this is obviously a fundraiser.

I know the setter (Leffew) from AC was not asked and I am pretty sure the other two seniors (Bollinger and Pittman)were not asked either.

Not complaining but I too can't believe the schools mentioned above did not have some one on the squad.

Good luck to all the players in the matches.

I am also puzzled by the absence of players from AC, GPS, and Dobyns-Bennett. It could be possible that the coaches of these teams are not members of TACA and therefore could not nominate their players. This is just a guess on my part. I will ask around Sat. about the selection process to see if there is something I am missing and will try to clarify the situation.

I believe these matches are a fund raiser for TACA and not Centennial. I assume that TACA gets the gate receipts and Centennial gets the proceeds from their concession stand.

I will post a report here Sat. night with the scores and list some of the outstanding players I saw, but in reality, these matches are more of a going away party for these seniors as some go on the play college ball. It will be good to see the players from Greenbrier, Brentwood, DCA, Page, Franklin, Ravenwood, Hillsboro, Father Ryan, Centennial, and the other schools that I have followed over the years.

but in reality, these matches are more of a going away party for these seniors as some go on the play college ball. It will be good to see the players from Greenbrier, Brentwood, DCA, Page, Franklin, Ravenwood, Hillsboro, Father Ryan, Centennial, and the other schools that I have followed over the years.

Interestingly enough, I notice that most players on these teams DO NOT go on to play in college. On this year's list, I only recognized a couple who I know have been recruited to play volleyball beyond HS.

What do you guys think?

The players have to be nominated by their coach who has to be a member of TACA.

Players that will continue their careers in college that I know of are as follows:

Jessica Williamson - Goodpasture - UT Chattanooga

Marie Mullins - Father Ryan - Austin Peay

DeeDee Harrison - Hillsboro - UT Knoxville

Stephanie Sarago - Ravenwood - Faulkner University

Courtney Cotter - Ootlewah - ETSU

There may be others on the list that are going on to play in college, but these are the ones that I know for sure. Maybe other members will have more info on the other girls.

Interestingly enough, I notice that most players on these teams DO NOT go on to play in college. On this year's list, I only recognized a couple who I know have been recruited to play volleyball beyond HS.

What do you guys think?

It's volleyball time in Tennessee.

My daughter played in the game last year and since my wife is a real volleyball coach I can supply what little knowledge that I have on the subject.

To play in this game your H.S. Coach and/or school must be a member of the coaches association. Among the coaches/schools not members in Choo-Choo city are GPS, Baylor, Notre Dame. Last year they strickley enforced the rule.

You must be nominated and as usual its easy to pick most of the rosters but at the last spots its tough and some really great kids are not nominated.

The kids actually have to sign a contract that you are going to particpate and be at all of the practices, any events and the games. This can be a hardship because if I remember from last year it is a 2-3 day event for the girls. There were 3 practices plus a dinner. The great gift to the girls was the coaches association paid for rooms and meals so it did not cost the girls anything but their time. What is sad is that some kids break their pledge and contract and don't show up which happened to the A-AA West team last year. But as has been said there are a lot of summer plans and some cannot make it. It was a chance for my daughter to visit and make new friends and pal around with our arch enemies from years past.

As luck would have it the east A-AA team practiced hard and promply lost to a pick up west team beacause a lot of their players did not show up. They proved that you cannot develope teamwork in 2 days.

As for volleyball signees this was a very weak class and there is a shortage of them. I would say the number is down 65% this year.

The great players reported to school anywhere from early Jan (they graduated early to go though spring pratice with their new college team) up to offical start date of August 1st. Laura reported June 5th to MTSU and had to get excused to play in the all star game. It was really great when her new teammates from MTSU came to the game to watch her play. She enjoy that as much as anything.

A great time was had by all and I hope my youngest gets to play next summer. The expense for the parents living in the corners of the state to do this are very high and time consuming.

I hope to see everyone this year because it will be my last so yell at the guy in the bright blue MTSU hat.

The players have to be nominated by their coach who has to be a member of TACA.

Players that will continue their careers in college that I know of are as follows:

Jessica Williamson - Goodpasture - UT Chattanooga

Marie Mullins - Father Ryan - Austin Peay

DeeDee Harrison - Hillsboro - UT Knoxville

Stephanie Sarago - Ravenwood - Faulkner University

Courtney Cotter - Ootlewah - ETSU

There may be others on the list that are going on to play in college, but these are the ones that I know for sure. Maybe other members will have more info on the other girls.

Hailey Wiggins- Trevecca

I believe the Swindell girl is going to MS State?

Also the Chattanooga Teams have a Tennessee-Georgia match that may keep some of the Chatt girls from wanting to participate in another event.

For middle T this age group has always been a little thin compared to other years. We used to get more girls from Memphis, but this may be a down year for them in respect to Seniors. I agree I wish some DB girls had come ... maybe travel issues don't know.

It will be a fun weekend for the ones chosen who agreed to come. See you Saturday at Centennial.

It's volleyball time in Tennessee.

My daughter played in the game last year and since my wife is a real volleyball coach I can supply what little knowledge that I have on the subject.

To play in this game your H.S. Coach and/or school must be a member of the coaches association. Among the coaches/schools not members in Choo-Choo city are GPS, Baylor, Notre Dame. Last year they strickley enforced the rule.

You must be nominated and as usual its easy to pick most of the rosters but at the last spots its tough and some really great kids are not nominated.

The kids actually have to sign a contract that you are going to particpate and be at all of the practices, any events and the games. This can be a hardship because if I remember from last year it is a 2-3 day event for the girls. There were 3 practices plus a dinner. The great gift to the girls was the coaches association paid for rooms and meals so it did not cost the girls anything but their time. What is sad is that some kids break their pledge and contract and don't show up which happened to the A-AA West team last year. But as has been said there are a lot of summer plans and some cannot make it. It was a chance for my daughter to visit and make new friends and pal around with our arch enemies from years past.

As luck would have it the east A-AA team practiced hard and promply lost to a pick up west team beacause a lot of their players did not show up. They proved that you cannot develope teamwork in 2 days.

As for volleyball signees this was a very weak class and there is a shortage of them. I would say the number is down 65% this year.

The great players reported to school anywhere from early Jan (they graduated early to go though spring pratice with their new college team) up to offical start date of August 1st. Laura reported June 5th to MTSU and had to get excused to play in the all star game. It was really great when her new teammates from MTSU came to the game to watch her play. She enjoy that as much as anything.

A great time was had by all and I hope my youngest gets to play next summer. The expense for the parents living in the corners of the state to do this are very high and time consuming.

I hope to see everyone this year because it will be my last so yell at the guy in the bright blue MTSU hat.

Emily Hayes has committed to Cumberland. I know that some of these girls were approached by different college coaches to play. One in particular chose to not play at the college level. It doesn't mean they weren't good enough, thet just chose an academic path all the way instead.