Is the TSSAA treating D2 fairly?

PBandJ

I have no doubt that Comcast had the option to telecast the D2 games and choose to not do so.

However, let's turn the tables. Let's say the D1 games were moved to the middle of the week and the D2 games were on the weekend and then Comcast choose to broadcast the D2 games but not the D1 games. How would D1 supporters and the TSSAA react to that situation?

IMHO. D1 supporters would scream bloody murder and the TSSAA would never allow this scenario to happen.

Why is it so hard to understand that D2 supporters fell slighted?

Oh...I don't doubt that. I am really surprised the DII games have not been televised. I think it is very unfortunate they were moved to Tuesday this year. I also think it is unfortunate they are not televised at all. I fully believe Comcast denied to cover them. Why in the world would the tssaa deny it? They would make more money if the were on.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I added the Comcast digital package and sports package. I now have expanded the video waste land by approximately 5,000 channels. I've noticed as I surf the Ionosphere of channeldom quite a few high school sports being televised. Just the other evening I caught the tail end of an especially exciting South Dakota girls 1A volleyball tournament (previously taped). I believe the team from Vermillion won. I'm sure if Comcast believes there's an audience for that, they believe there will be a an audience one day for Red Boiling Springs (anyone know where that is?) and Hollow Rock-Bruceton (same question) football game.

As to why the TSSAA cut DII out of the contract. That's like asking why a dog licks itself.

I'm sure if Comcast believes there's an audience for that, they believe there will be a an audience one day for Red Boiling Springs (anyone know where that is?) and Hollow Rock-Bruceton (same question) football game.

It doesn??™t matter where they are, if the previously posed theory that it is the size of the classification that dictates statewide interest is true. RBS and HR-B play in classifications that are larger than any DII class, so therefore there is more statewide interest in those two schools. (yes, this, too, was a joke, a la cbg??™s earlier joke)

While I will indulge in the popular sentiment on this thread that Comcast may have rejected the opportunity to broadcast the DII title games in the past, any implications previously made that the DI games are being broadcast at the expense of DII games is preposterous. Not for a minute do I buy that the Friday 3:30PM CT slot featuring the two DI-A finalists represents a more desirable time with broader reach and appeal than a Saturday 7:00PM CT slot featuring the two DII-AA finalists. As big red big blue said, ???Comcast??¦is doing this for some other reason than making money.??? What that reason is, I don??™t know, but it cannot be driven by financial reasons (if it is, then someone please remind me to call my broker at Merrill Lynch tomorrow and buy put contracts on Comcast out the yazoo). The only financial implication I can envision is that, perhaps, the average DI fan base represents a more desirable audience to attract for first-time cable subscribers.

BA-Prattville on ESPN. MBA-Moeller on the NFL Network. Both work for me??¦and whatever scraps Comcast wants to throw our way during the regular season (unless sapping demand causes cancellation of these broadcasts, of course).

Anyway, who knows what the deal is. Maybe it??™s a conspiracy theory and we should look closely at the TSAAA BOC. I know of at least one member on there who likely doesn??™t have a problem at all with the DII title games being blacked out ??“ it gives his school??™s supporters the opportunity to perpetuate their annual ???best in state??? Kool Aid on these message boards. Gosh forbid if they had to see that there are teams in this state that may actually be better than their team in a given year!

So...how would that be different from now? The DII privates already give financial aid. They already get some great athletes.

The difference would be all the current D1 privates would jump into that fray (as much as they can). Then there would be a real "recruitment" of student athletes without the TSSAA rules to stop them (or slow them as others would think). I've talked to 2 different private school coaches and they both feel like that will happen when the split is made.

Not playing the other teams left behind is a reality. If DII teams leave...I would bet the farm they would not be able to play TSSAA teams. That is the main reason not to leave. I don't think DI publics would care if you did leave. We have plenty enough teams to play without you. If you think travel is bad now...leave and see what you would have then.

I absolutely believe that is the only reason the privates haven't said enough with this and split themselves already. Not the travel, it is there already. But the playing local teams for variety. Personally, I would have left with a salute a long time ago. Just a few more years and it will be here. Book it.

Ted Turner is a McCallie grad. Get him to run the D2 championship on TNT, CNN, or AMC. He could finace the whole thing as well. Oh wait he gave his money to the UN...... /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Anyway, who knows what the deal is. Maybe it??™s a conspiracy theory and we should look closely at the TSAAA BOC. I know of at least one member on there who likely doesn??™t have a problem at all with the DII title games being blacked out ??“ it gives his school??™s supporters the opportunity to perpetuate their annual ???best in state??? Kool Aid on these message boards. Gosh forbid if they had to see that there are teams in this state that may actually be better than their team in a given year!

What really bothers me the most is the manner in which our "leader" fails to even acknowledge the fact that his new deal has left in the cold a large part of his membership. At this point does he even realize we are still dues paying members of the organization he presides over? Granted, I have very low expectations of the man, but it still shocks me to hear him say "this is a great time for high school athletics" in his description of a deal that leaves a huge part of his membership in the cold. Would it be too much to expect him to at least acknowledge that fact? Why not just toss a bone out there like "We are really excited to be working with Comcast on this new deal. But we need to work hard to find a way to get D2 included in the package in the future, because those kids deserve it too."

I think you are right...there are plenty of people who are bothered by us and our consistent success. The better we get, and the higher our profile (i.e., nationally televised games), the more a threat it is to the legitimacy of D1. So it's either continue to marginalize our division, or just convince themselves that financial aid equals some gross distortion that makes a comparison meaningless...

"The only financial implication I can envision is that, perhaps, the average DI fan base represents a more desirable audience to attract for first-time cable subscribers."---seriously, that's a pretty interesting explanation. It makes more sense than any other reason I could think of.

Ted Turner is a McCallie grad. Get him to run the D2 championship on TNT, CNN, or AMC. He could finace the whole thing as well. Oh wait he gave his money to the UN...... /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Ted's no longer on the board of Time Warner - too much "nut quotient".

I think more people would watch, and they'd be more likely to show the games, with more teams in the division. In Division I 1A there are only a couple of teams who could play more than a half against the Division II, AA teams, but each has its own region with usually six or seven opponents, and teams/fans from other regions want to see who is representing their classification. I would make no extra effort to see the Division II, A finals with the current teams, but if it was Goodpasture vs CAK, or some of the current teams if they managed to defeat a GP or CAK on their way to the finals, then I'd most likely watch.

As for recruiting, is it being said on here now the Division II privates would change their "mission" just because there would be no rules against bringing in players?

By PBJ: (The difference would be all the current D1 privates would jump into that fray (as much as they can). Then there would be a real "recruitment" of student athletes without the TSSAA rules to stop them (or slow them as others would think). I've talked to 2 different private school coaches and they both feel like that will happen when the split is made.)

I think more people would watch, and they'd be more likely to show the games, with more teams in the division. In Division I 1A there are only a couple of teams who could play more than a half against the Division II, AA teams, but each has its own region with usually six or seven opponents, and teams/fans from other regions want to see who is representing their classification. I would make no extra effort to see the Division II, A finals with the current teams, but if it was Goodpasture vs CAK, or some of the current teams if they managed to defeat a GP or CAK on their way to the finals, then I'd most likely watch.

As for recruiting, is it being said on here now the Division II privates would change their "mission" just because there would be no rules against bringing in players?

By PBJ: (The difference would be all the current D1 privates would jump into that fray (as much as they can). Then there would be a real "recruitment" of student athletes without the TSSAA rules to stop them (or slow them as others would think). I've talked to 2 different private school coaches and they both feel like that will happen when the split is made.)

Kind of. The reason some of the D2 privates are in D2 is because their "mission" was that they have to provide financial aide as part of their charters (i.e. MBA, McCallie, MUS, etc.). Others, not so much (i.e. BA). Now, expanding the "mission" wouldn't be against the "mission" at all.

Frankly, I don't want it to happen. I live a community that will very well be affected due to our proximity to privates - DCA, Friendship, Ezell, Goodpasture, MJCA - and then the elites that some kids do attend like MBA and USN no matter how difficult a drive. We lose kids to those privates year in and year out. I can only image what the athletics programs will look like if the privates take their futures into their own hands.

I guess I believe in letting the free market settle these things. If a school is willing to debase itself and ruin its reputation by using dubious recruiting/admissions policies in pursuit of a title...well, then so be it. The only losers are the stakeholders in that school. Any "gains" the school experiences from winning a title in such a way are more than offset by the blows suffered to the school's reputation. A place like Nashville is a small town. The marketplace for private school students is competitive. People talk. Maybe to someone, somewhere that trade off is worth it, but I can't see in the Tennesse D2 schools. I am perfectly fine with a school proactively seeking out kids that fit with its mission and encouraging those kids to apply for admission like anyone else. If any school chooses to abuse that, and starts admitting kids it shouldn't, then the drop-out rate, college lists, and college placement rates will be reflective of that. Those sort of blows wouldn't be easy to brush off in a competitive marketplace.