USFA State Hendersonville

utfan3

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The USGF State will be played in Gallatin this weekend. Be interesting to see what kind of feedback it receives. I personally like Stan and Tammy a lot and have had very few problems this season. They've had some less than impressive umpires as well, but I think the talent pool for umpires is dwindling everywhere.

If you are going to rank the tourney based on the way umpires call the game, the Directors don't have a chance!!!!! At Music City Hits we had a ump call a strike on a change up that bounced over the plate!!!!!! First pitch of the game!!!! That ump had a tough day. It was not the Directors fault and I would not fault the Tourney. It is part of the game, overcome and move on. We won that game but lost later with that ump in the field. It was a great touney as was the USFA.

Look forward to both next year!!!!

The Hendersonville Park is one of the best in the state. You did not mention how the staff works from about 10:00 p.m. until 3-4 in the morning picking up trash, cleaning, lining the fields, dragging the fields. Some of it could be a communication issue with the tournament director and the parks. The umpires have nothing to do with the city and would be the same no matter where they were played. Some came as far away as Arkansas. The parks staff and city do a great job and don't deserve to be bashed by you. Sounds like you must have lost in the finals or something.

if anyone walked over to field 13 where the 14U were playing, did anyone notice a baseball pitchers mound between the pitching rubber and second base? what kind of STATE softball tournament keeps a raised baseball pitchers mound in the field of play? and, not to mention, once the tournament started, there was no field maintenace at all. Yes on Saturday night/Sunday morning i guess they did reline the fields but they forgot to put batters boxes in the 14U B class fields, must have been tired or ran out of material to line them with. You would think that a State tournament would have some sort of field maintenance during the tournament. otherwise, it was a good tournament, officiating was about as good as it's going to get, nobody ever agrees with all calls but over all, it was good. and no, we did not win it so i'm not just saying that cause we won the tournament.

Did anyone find it unacceptable that the USFA Girls 12U facility at Veterans Park were not maintained at all during the entire weekend. Examples..Fields were never raked or lined after the first game. the restrooms did not provide soap for handwashing, most of the umpires were in Middle School...age wise, They provided a scorekeeper to run the scoreboard but they could not keep up with the game at all and some just would not keep the score.

I thought the money my team and family paid to stay in Hendersonville and play should have bought a more professional attention to a once in a life event for the kids and the families.

Lastly either the USFA director or the town of Hendersonville should account for this or issue refunds to the participants.

I have only been to one tournament where the fields were maintained and lined after each game and that tournament lasted a week. Just imagine how much more money your team and family would have spent for a whole week instead of 3 days. As for the umpires I'm assuming that your are refering to the young ladies that were there. For your information those ladies are 19 or 20 years old and have played fastpitch since they were very young and know the game well. As for the scorekeepers they were there to keep the official score book. Scoreboard were optional. There aren't many tournaments you go to that even have either. As for the once in a life time event, was this your one and only state tournament?

As a coach that was there at the 14U B tournament (fields 13 & 14) I will agree that there were problems. 1) The baseball mounds were bad. 2) The field lining could have been better. 3) The scoreboard is usually run by the parents of the home team (a lost art) However, our umps did a good job. We were beat fairly (O.o) The tournament went smoothly and as expected.

The college bound softball players who umped the younger girls also worked the gates and concessions. They weren't pro's but are class acts every one of them. The officiating is the same everywhere, sad to say and I would even go so far as to say you likely had the fairest umps on the field as they have no allegiances. Officiating is an area that needs to be improved upon by all sanctions including the TSSAA. There definitely needs to be a small course and apprenticeship period. But as far as this tournament goes it was as expected.

The USGF has already started off on the wrong foot. They used the point system to seat their pool brackets in the state which will be used to determine your actual seating when the pools are played. What a waste, why even try to get more points... All year long we've been playing to get a better seat in the pool bracket? What a farce, nothing in the rules about this one just a last minute move. Oh well, still have to play to win, just wish we didn't have to waste a game in the heat on a "pool". Trust me USFA had a good state!

Been to countless SB tournaments and will continuue to go. Should the State Tournment be in Hendersonville next year we will return. Voicing my compliants and bringing attention to these issues will hopefully get some things improved in the years to come. I have been to Tournament in Franklin, Dyersburg, Martin, Jackson, Southhaven, etc where fields are kept raked and lined as needed at least. Bathrooms were cleaned at least. As far as the officials go they were pretty bad. Not the worst I've seen but again this was the STATE TOURNAMENT not a little weekender in small town USA.

As a coach that was there at the 14U B tournament (fields 13 & 14) I will agree that there were problems. 1) The baseball mounds were bad. 2) The field lining could have been better. 3) The scoreboard is usually run by the parents of the home team (a lost art) However, our umps did a good job. We were beat fairly (O.o) The tournament went smoothly and as expected.

The college bound softball players who umped the younger girls also worked the gates and concessions. They weren't pro's but are class acts every one of them. The officiating is the same everywhere, sad to say and I would even go so far as to say you likely had the fairest umps on the field as they have no allegiances. Officiating is an area that needs to be improved upon by all sanctions including the TSSAA. There definitely needs to be a small course and apprenticeship period. But as far as this tournament goes it was as expected.

The USGF has already started off on the wrong foot. They used the point system to seat their pool brackets in the state which will be used to determine your actual seating when the pools are played. What a waste, why even try to get more points... All year long we've been playing to get a better seat in the pool bracket? What a farce, nothing in the rules about this one just a last minute move. Oh well, still have to play to win, just wish we didn't have to waste a game in the heat on a "pool". Trust me USFA had a good state!

All of the USGF directors that I know, including the State Director Stan Adams, are former USSSA directors. I believe the main reason they left the USSSA was Joe Caldwell, who ironically is no longer there either. I don't know that, but my dealings with Joe weren't pleasant most of the time. Stan is a good guy to deal with and the process of seeding State Pool teams according to points is a carry over from U-trip. It was supposedly done the same way with that organization. I'm confident Stan, his wife Tammy, and the others will do a good job this weekend as they always do. If you are in a five team pool and get your two pool games against the 4 and 5 team of that pool that is an advantage. I'm not sure why you don't see that. If you can come out of your pool as a 1 seed headed into elimination play if definitely is to your advantage most of the time.

All of the directors I have spoken or corresponded with were nice people. I just don't agree that a seasons worth of points mean nothing more that a good pool seating. We are talking about the State Tournament and in the State you shouldn't want to play a bunch of pool games, different from a regular tournament where you want all the work you can get. Pool games in the State simply wear on your players unnecessarily for a position you earned through the course of the season. There are no written rules concerning this in the USGF and I'm not trying to crack any nuts here, I just simply don't agree. It may be something they look at down the line.

All of the directors I have spoken or corresponded with were nice people. I just don't agree that a seasons worth of points mean nothing more that a good pool seating. We are talking about the State Tournament and in the State you shouldn't want to play a bunch of pool games, different from a regular tournament where you want all the work you can get. Pool games in the State simply wear on your players unnecessarily for a position you earned through the course of the season. There are no written rules concerning this in the USGF and I'm not trying to crack any nuts here, I just simply don't agree. It may be something they look at down the line.

I found out long time ago points are not a good way. If your are at the top in points you play people at bottom. Most of the time the best teams my not play that many tourneys of that sanction and are just playing to pick up some games.

So you end up playing one of the better teams right off the bat instead of a weaker one. I think pool play is much better then it's luck of draw. Or be middle of pack in points. Points are just a way of getting to to play that sanction. Just my 2 cents worth, you still have to play on field.!!!!

I found out long time ago points are not a good way. If your are at the top in points you play people at bottom. Most of the time the best teams my not play that many tourneys of that sanction and are just playing to pick up some games.

So you end up playing one of the better teams right off the bat instead of a weaker one. I think pool play is much better then it's luck of draw. Or be middle of pack in points. Points are just a way of getting to to play that sanction. Just my 2 cents worth, you still have to play on field.!!!!

Let's see state tournament's? tssaa, nsa,asa,usssa,usgf,usfa, there is a state tournament every weekend. The only one that really counts is the ASA state and tssaa State, the rest are just another weekend tournament. Wining the ASA STATE is saying something. wining the ASA STATE in 16A is big. The berth to the national is what travel softball is all about. Most so called travel team are just really playing locale weekend tournaments, chaseing the berth to the ASA national is real travel ball playing the best in the counrty trying take home that coveted berth. congrats to the 16a xsploison and the 18 white lighten ASA STATE CHAMPS and national Bound. If you have never been the the 16a ASA nashional you are missing out there are more collage coach's then parents there. If you want your daughter seen by the big time collages the 16a ASA nationals is were you need to be. BUT! good luck geting there.

Hey FISHUNT. Could you be a little more cocky. All the rest of us lowly USFA, etc participants and supporters are doing the best we can. May someday we may "touch your cloth"/

Now SET DOWN AND SHUT-UP TURKEY!!!!

Hey utfan3, Could you be a little more pickey. All the rest of the tourneys I've been to were not re-chalked before all the game, score board not kept right, etc... ( including the ASA ). Maybe someday you will get your perfect fields. You may not like what Fishunt said, but it is the truth!!!!

Now SET DOWN AND SHUT-UP TURKEY!!!!!