6U or 7U Travel Team

Are there any 6u or 7u travel teams out there in middle TN who will playing the rest of the summer and fall? If so, I have an interested 6 yr old (will be 7 in Nov) who would love to join a team and get some travel ball experience.

Thanks...

Lord I hope not. Go swimming, take a vacation, be a kid. He's going to get plenty of games if he's not burned out before he's 10.

Lord I hope not. Go swimming, take a vacation, be a kid. He's going to get plenty of games if he's not burned out before he's 10.

I second that.

6 or 7 years old is way, way too young to being even thinking about travel baseball.

My goodness, this is actually kind of scary.

Geeezus... Y'all are gotta be kidding me right! Next thing you know they will be having a diaper league traveling team. I can just see it now some coach calling the parents to tell them they are cutting their 6 yr old. Please let the kid have a childhood, and let him try other sports as well you might be surprized at what he is actually good at.

Let this guy do his own parenting, please. You don't know if it's what a kid likes without trying. Their is plenty of time for swimming, riding bikes, going to movies, being a kid while playing travel ball. My son has played since he was 6, and is now a sophmore and still travels. The guy didn't say he was going to make his kid play baseball 24-7, he just inquired about a team.

Not that I really feel the need to explain myself to you guys, but just fyi- I talked to my son about playing flag football this fall - he doesn't want to. I asked him about playing soccer again (he played soccer last fall), and he continues to say "No, I want to keep playing baseball." I can't pitch him enough buckets of balls or toss him enough pop flies each day to keep him satisfied. Since we don't have cp fall ball locally, I just thought if there was a travel team playing in some late summer or fall coach pitch tournaments that he might enjoy that. I know about the parents who force their kids to play from the time they can hold a bat and then burn them out - that's not the case here. My older son never begged to "keep playing baseball," and he plays other sports plus swims with the swim team occasionally.

I appreciate your attempt at throwing me in that "crazy" category, but it really was unnecessary. Like batman said, I was just inquiring about a team. I figured there might be some other teams out there that possibly had a player or two who, like my older son, would prefer to play a different sport in the fall and perhaps they might have an open spot.

What's 'crazy' is that there even is such a thing as 6U and 7U travel ball. Believe me, those don't exist 'for the kids'. They're for the parents and coaches of 'the kids'.

An instructional fall league, baseball camp or private instruction would be the route I'd go. You can do what you want.

I don't think an attempt was made to throw you into the CRAZY PARENT category. My post was only advice to any parent with a 6 year old wanting to start concentrating on only 1 sport. I have seen many, many kids get burnt out on starting playing this young and was only offering advice from my experiences.

However, all that being said, even if your 6 year old wants to play baseball primarily, sometimes you just have to be his parent, not his friend and say NO.

I'm old now, but I started playing when I was 12, played through HS, Jr. college and then college. I was absolutely SICK of baseball in my senior year of college.

Best of luck and remember YMMV.

Yep. My son's team of coach pitch phenoms that won our leagues first district titles ever at 7 and 8 years old have sent exactly 3 on to the high school ranks. They burn out, especially when the competition and pressure to win increases. Most little guys aren't equipped mentally to perform under the kind of stress that elite travel ball teams can play under. Heck, most 6 year olds couldn't tell you who won the game on their own. The scoreboard at that age is also for the parents.

Ok...I see your point. I don't necessarily agree that it goes for every 6 year old, but I understand what you're saying. The idea of a private instruction or a camp was a good one, if you think he wouldn't enjoy a travel team. So...who do you recommend for private hitting/pitching instruction in Middle Tn for a 6/almost 7 year old? And are there are any camps I could check into that you know of?

I would recommend Lipscomb or Vandy camps.

Instructors aren't too hard to find. It depends on where you live in Middle Tennessee.

Here's some other ones. NBTA is one I'm somewhat familiar with. Kevin Kennedy has a camp in Columbia, Hit after Hit in Nashville is another resource. Check out msaba.org and sandlotter.com.

Truly if it were me and my 6 year old was that interested in baseball, that's the route I would go. I'd get a tee, a bucket of balls and a Mike Epstein DVD and go to work in the basement and back yard.

TN baseball camps