Maryville vs Halls

RebFan101

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My understanding is that the gates will be manned early. The concession stand has been serving some pretty good Bar-B-Q at the scrimmage games. There should be hot dogs and hamburgers as well. Kobe's and Gondolier are probably the best restaraunts in Halls right now but there are plenty of options.

As for the game, I hope it is a good game that showcases a great region. I think these two teams could likely meet again, so win or lose I hope Halls doesn't get too high or too low afterward. There is lots of football left to play.

With Maryville's better passer out, I will change my prediction a little.

Maryville 21

Halls 10

My understanding is that the gates will be manned early. The concession stand has been serving some pretty good Bar-B-Q at the scrimmage games. There should be hot dogs and hamburgers as well. Kobe's and Gondolier are probably the best restaraunts in Halls right now but there are plenty of options.

As for the game, I hope it is a good game that showcases a great region. I think these two teams could likely meet again, so win or lose I hope Halls doesn't get too high or too low afterward. There is lots of football left to play.

With Maryville's better passer out, I will change my prediction a little.

Maryville 21

Halls 10

You hit the nail on the head, "win or lose I hope Halls doesn't get too high or too low afterward."

The way a lot of people are talking, I would be concerned about a big letdown for Halls, especially if they don't win this game. The team seemed to handle last year's narrow miss well, but I think the biggest fear for a Halls fan has to be the possibility of getting torched. This is week 0, so I think it is much more important for those guys to bounce back in week 1, even if Halls stuns Maryville tomorrow night.

My prediction:

Maryville quiets the nay-sayers once again, 31-14.

I'm pretty excited about this game. I think it will be nice to have an idea of what we're fielding in the week leading up to Alcoa, although it does take some of the anxiety and anticipation out of that week for me.

I'm also pretty excited to see all of the Halls fans on here supporting their team. It gets a little boring sometimes when it's just all us Rebel fans on here talking to each other. It's pretty refreshing to see a team coming in against us and actually expecting to win. We usually only see that from the fans of Alcoa, WB and whoever we play in the state championship.

There are some things that this year's team has to face that I think could have an impact on it like none of the recent teams:

1. The Nike deal - putting that swoosh on the jersey put an even bigger target on the team's back. Honestly, this has drawn so much attention, both locally and nationally, that I think the bullseye grew even bigger. Further, I think it has been a pride point and a distraction for the team.

2. The streak - There's a lot of pressure on this team to maintain the streak. A lot of times in sports you'll hear coaches and players say that a loss was a good thing for their team or program. I wonder if Maryville's perceived lack of intensity isn't the result of great pride in off the field recognition (see point #1) as well as built up confidence over the long span of wins.

3. The big 0 - That's right, this team has never experienced a loss at the varsity high school level. There's a 0 in the L column. Not sure how I'd deal with that, but I think it would make me feel invincible and entitled and neither are a good thing.

So, Maryville obviously has some challenges, but they also have some very positive assets as well. First of all, I count it as a certainty that GQ and crew will never be outcoached. If it gets close, MHS knows how to win and its leadership knows how to get them in that position. Next, MHS expects to win while Halls, like so many before them, only thinks they can. There is a difference. Last, Maryville has all the experience that goes with having won so many games along the way. Halls may have a great group this year, but that's something that can't be captured so quickly.

I expect a good game Friday night, and I'm almost giddy with anticipation of kicking off another season of high school football!

Call me stupid but I got that good feeling Halls will win a win by two touchdowns.

I think the Halls running game will be hard to stop. 24-14 to the Red Devils.

Burnette, Shiver, Douglas & Clendenon gone the offense can't be as potent this year. Checking in with some local sources from Blount Co. this will be a rebuilding year with many unknowns. I like our chances.

Call me stupid but I got that good feeling Halls will win a win by two touchdowns.

I think the Halls running game will be hard to stop. 24-14 to the Red Devils.

Burnette, Shiver, Douglas & Clendenon gone the offense can't be as potent this year. Checking in with some local sources from Blount Co. this will be a rebuilding year with many unknowns. I like our chances.

OK, your stupid

I'm just playing the odds here, but I'd have to take the under on that one. GQ has only lost by 2 td's or more ONCE in his 133 games as head coach at Maryville.

I have to agree. Also, let's not forget, this isn't week 2 or 3 or 10 - this is week 0! Neither of these teams have played an actual game this year, so Halls has to have their own set of question marks coming into this game. Halls has to play better than great to win this game. It is a very tall order to ask any team to play a near flawless game this early in the season, especially in week 0. That's why I just don't see the Red Devils pulling the upset. In a game like this, execution is a big factor, and I think you have to give that edge to Maryville this early in the season. GQ has proved that year after year, even when it looked like the Rebels were due for a rebuilding season. Just look at their last 7 season openers. The Rebels have won by 3 touchdowns or more in each of those 7 games (4 of those wins came against Alcoa).

I agree it's hard to not to go with GQ and the dynasty 60 straight has been a awesome run. But all runs must come to a end and I just don't think we are the underdog this year. Halls have some very talented players with experience. KJ is a excellent coach and will get that little bit more out of them.

Remember Halls only lost by eight points last year to a awesome Rebel unit at Maryville. This is a new year and with the Rebels losing their starting QB and the Halls defense improving dramatically from last year I see the Red Devils in a very strong position.

Most people may believe it wil be a shock if Halls wins but I won't. To many talented players graduated last year from Maryville, most notably on offense to not make this game very interesting from a Halls perspective.

- If we (Halls) were able to win(I KNOW IT'S A REALLY BIG IF), can we show Maryville and their fans the same class they have shown us. If it does happen, PLEASE Halls fans, show some class!!

- If the upset happens, where does it go up in history? Maybe above the US hockey win over the USSR?

- Back to reality, I refuse to pick a winner in this game. If I did, it would have to be Maryville (da). However, Halls has shown alot of heart to me lately. That's why I refuse to pick against them.

I agree it's hard to not to go with GQ and the dynasty 60 straight has been a awesome run. But all runs must come to a end and I just don't think we are the underdog this year. Halls have some very talented players with experience. KJ is a excellent coach and will get that little bit more out of them.

Remember Halls only lost by eight points last year to a awesome Rebel unit at Maryville. This is a new year and with the Rebels losing their starting QB and the Halls defense improving dramatically from last year I see the Red Devils in a very strong position.

Most people may believe it wil be a shock if Halls wins but I won't. To many talented players graduated last year from Maryville, most notably on offense to not make this game very interesting from a Halls perspective.

There is no doubt that Maryville could lose on any given Friday night. However, I'm reminded of the upset that Powell almost pulled off against Maryville in the 2004 playoffs (Maryville held on to win 21-16), and what fans were saying before the 2005 regular season matchup. Powell was coming off of a huge road win against McCallie (led by current Vol BJ Coleman), and a lot of fans thought that Powell was the better team that year. Even I thought they had a great shot to beat Maryville, but the Rebels simply flexed their muscles and throttled the Panthers, 47-19. To me, Friday's scenario seems a lot like the Powell-Maryville preview back in 2005. I don't think Halls will get drilled like that, but I think that Maryville will continue to remind everyone that they are still Maryville.