Maryville vs Halls

RebFan101

I applaud Halls for coming out strong and keeping it close for a while.

Maryville is a machine. The names change but the results don't. The only difference in last night's game from almost all Rebel games in the recent past was that Maryville outscored their opponent 21-0 in the fourth quarter instead of 21-0 in the first quarter. Maryville was just as dominant as ever in the second half of the game last night. As this Rebel team gets more experience, the 21-0 first quarters will come.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I guess the bank closed before the game last night. I really thought the Devils had a great chance to beat the mighty Rebs. What a great crowd, absolutely packed!

I will say this...PA person is crazy if he thinks he can announce to stay off the hillside and people will listen. Why not bring in additional bleachers. Scoreboard not working...not real good when you got all summer to check it to see that all of the parts are in good working order.

I don't believe our players are crybabies...I think they were so hyped up (probably by the pregame speech), that after the glitter wore off, we wore down. I will always remember this...you win the game in practice on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, then apply that to Friday night.

The Devils should not be judged solely on what they did or didn't do last night, that is why you play 10 games. Now we are the first to say...just wait till next year!!!

Good luck Rebs and Devils

Do not claim to know how things will play out but this Halls team could win out. The is not the end for them. They got outcoached late in the game and made more mistakes but for 3 quarters they ran neck and neck with the state champs. I am a Maryville fan but I read another poster said that Halls were quiters and I think that is a little unfair. No I was not on the sidelines but Halls is not the only team to get beat by Maryville. So ease up on the kids.

I agree I don't think they quit they were wore out. I know every one has preached conditioning and weight training about his team and they did look awesome the first quarter but no matter how much talk is talked it's the intangibles like the heat, opponent and self belief that has to be put into the mix.

I have to admit I was dissappointed not with the kids but with the same plays over and over again. Once Gaylor reconized this it was turn out the lights. I agree it got us into the fourth quarter but little else. We didn't seem like threatening after the first quarter. The interception by McFalls energised us but after a fumble and missed field goal then it went downhill. The big question is the offense if we get behind were in big trouble plus having to play two way players our fourth quarters will be promblematical.

So not as good a result as we all hoped but the good news is we have many more games to play and we still look like a very good team. I do feel like Maryville is very vunerable this year. They just don't look like themselves but their coaching staff is A-1.

Did Halls even realize they were hosting a big game. Are they not capable of bringing in extra seating. What is so sacred about the track behind the visitors bench. When I could hear the PA guy, I got a kick out of him saying to the double (or triple) capacity crowd, "keep off the "H" on the hillside. Nice clock also. To say someone is spoiled indicates that something has been handed to them and this makes them soft. When you have a community that takes pride in it's entire school system and is willing to make sacrifices and put in hard work to make it the best that it can be (academics, athletics, arts, etc...) then they are not spoiled...

To me spoiled is assuming that everyone has bottomless pockets because that is all you have experienced. Halls has been leaders in test scores and in many other categories in adademics in this area. They have done this in a school that has been overcrowed and lacking in needed renovations for years. Knox Co. has different rules. Sometimes you have to be West of I-75 to get help with anything from the county government. Furthermore, privately raising money in a low to middle income region at a 4A school of 1050 is not as easy as it might be some other places. It has taken years for Halls to finally get an upgraded fieldhouse and it will furnished in stages. I have been to several games that have been oversold. I have been to several games that have seen clock and scoreboard issues. Maybe Maryville is exempt from these problems. I am sorry that many did not have a seat. I am sorry that many had to walk from Walmart to get to the game. I am sorry that several didn't get in the gate til after the 1st Quarter because of slow ticket lines. I am sure Maryville has worked hard for what they have. I guarentee you that many in Halls have worked hard as well. To me, spoiled is thinking all have because you have. America in general is spoiled.

I am done with my sermon. Maryville has great fans I always enjoy the interaction when we play you guys. Congrats on the win. Maybe we will see you in Nov.

Those who are spoiled, rarely realize they are spoiled.

Now to the game...

Ironman, Halls faded late. It could be heart or it could be that we are playing several both ways in 90 degree heat. But "Cry Babies." We are thin on depth just about everywhere.

I though #6 played hard. He had around 90 yards against a highly regarded defense plus another 80 on 3 KO returns. He had most of the yards to set up #3's TD. I like #3. He plays hard both ways when needed and he runs hard. But to assume that he would get 15 yards on every play if he got more carries is silly. That being said, I did expect to see a more of a rotation at RB to show the defense different looks. But I am not the coach.

I think everyone could see that Halls threw 1 screen pass in the entire first half. Maryville put 8 or 9 in the box and dared Halls to throw. Halls declined until desperation set in late. Halls better get used to seeing defenses do this.

Halls did not take advantage of the mistakes Maryville made. (And they made a few.) Lucky bounces all seemed to go Maryville's way. (tipped passes, fumbles) Maryville is vulnerable in some places. If they run the table, it will be GQ's best coaching job yet. That is not meant as a knock. They are still a good team. They played hard when they were down. Halls did appear to either get tired or give up when they finally got behind late.

I thought the Halls offense self destructed. The defensive stand someone mentioned earlier wasn't a strong defensive effort. It was 1st and 10 from the 15 and Halls fumbled twice and missed throwing to a wide open reciever before missing the field goal try.

Congrats Maryville. Maybe we will see you again in post season and have several players back who were out or limited tonight. I hope #4 just has a sprain and no break.

Excellent synopsis ^^^ of what went down and I agree 100% with this take on the game and the team.

Let's face it, we may have the best rushing attack in east Tennessee and we have a lot of our best recievers out.

Therefore we had the right game plan and played very good football for 3 quarters. We got some bad breaks and got rolled in the 4th.

There's not a Rebel fan out there (who willing to be truthful) who thought they had that game in hand until there were about 6 or 7 minutes to go in the game.

I believe only a team as good as Maryville will be able to exploit this (our temporarily one dimmensional offense) and we will beat 5A Sevier County on their own turf next Friday running the ball all but about 5 plays; with Dowdy at QB.

That said, here's to a speedy recovery for Turner.

good game to both teams, hope to a speedy recovery for tyler.

p.s. who ever that is at the gate to the "red devil zone" or whatever it is called needs to get off his high horse and realize that he has no reason to be on a power trip and needs to start respecting people.

I agree with you that guy was power hungry he finally gave up and left .Why did they try to keep the maryville fans off the field it `s not like their going to hurt the field that is how we show our support after the game we let the visitors on the field so I see no problem with it /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />