Another Chattanooga area coach resigns

catsbackr

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve Garland resigns at Soddy DaisyChatt. Times-Free Press.

What's going on?

Garland interview.

You know as well as I do 'catsbackr', after what happened to a certain coach at Hixson High this year, coaches are not covered or protected. They work their tails off but hardly ever receive any satisfaction from anyone except their players, parents, and from victories. It is too easy for a coach to literally work himself to death and then something can happen to him that can ultimately change his life and his career. I think coaches are getting tired of it. Especially in Hamilton County. I truly admire Steve Garland and have for years. He is a great man of character! It is defintely not because the well is running dry because I seen Loftis and Soddy Middle play this year. They have some players but Coach Garland could always coach even when he didn't have the greatest talent. Great coaches can do that and not run when the well is running dry, so to speak.

I don't follow your connection between what happened at Hixson with Coach Eller and Steve leaving Soddy Daisy.

Anyway, we now have Grace, CSAS, Notre Dame, Hixson, Sequatchie County and now Soddy Daisy without head baseball coaches (and some may have been filled, I just haven't heard). I just find the recent events involving coaches leaving to be somewhat troubling.

With a bunch of new coaches next year, it will certainly be an interesting year umpiring in 2009.

I don't follow your connection between what happened at Hixson with Coach Eller and Steve leaving Soddy Daisy.

Anyway, we now have Grace, CSAS, Notre Dame, Hixson, Sequatchie County and now Soddy Daisy without head baseball coaches (and some may have been filled, I just haven't heard). I just find the recent events involving coaches leaving to be somewhat troubling.

With a bunch of new coaches next year, it will certainly be an interesting year umpiring in 2009.

Cats you didn't include the new school @ Signal Mtn. or have they already have their coach?

Who do you think will replace Steve?

I don't know.

I spoke with Steve at Ridgeland during their tournament which I was working. Steve was coaching his summer team, the Chattanooga Baseball Club and we spoke at length, primarily about the Ooltewah job. He laughed at the speculation that he might go to Ooltewah, but did not indicate in any way that he was thinking about doing what he did.

I would almost bet that his replacement is already in the program at Soddy Daisy.

What ever happened to Greg Vandergriff? I know he was very interested in coaching a few years ago.

I don't know.

I spoke with Steve at Ridgeland during their tournament which I was working. Steve was coaching his summer team, the Chattanooga Baseball Club and we spoke at length, primarily about the Ooltewah job. He laughed at the speculation that he might go to Ooltewah, but did not indicate in any way that he was thinking about doing what he did.

I would almost bet that his replacement is already in the program at Soddy Daisy.

What ever happened to Greg Vandergriff? I know he was very interested in coaching a few years ago.

Cats sorry totally off subject, but I wonder what the new VW plant will do to the school system on that side of the county with the influx of people?

Not Cats but I think that could lead to another high school in the Ooltewah/East Brainerd area, even after the one currently being built opens.

I don't think for a second the Soddy coach left because he felt incoming talent might diminish but it would seem Hixson will benefit if the upcoming zones are followed at least somewhat.

There's also some talk in Chattanoga about no longer providing transportation from one of the county for students attending far outside their zone, that could shake things up some including for sports.

One of the candidates brought up how he'd like to see students being able to attend school all over as long as parents provide the transportation, the thing he's missing is what if 1,000 students and their parents are wanting to attend a 500 capacity school. Those aren't anywhere near Ooltewah's numbers but it sounds like that's helped drive up their school's population, plus the booming growth in the east side of the county.

New coach at Hixson will most likely be S/D assistant Ted Mulder. New S/D coach will be Jared Hensley fron Red Bank.

I hope you're wrong.

I don't know Mulder, but I can't stand Hensley.

MVM, it sounds like Tyner needs to be rebuilt or something or at least updated. If memory serves me, Tyner can accomodate about twice the students it currently has. And Indian is right, the new East Hamilton HS would not be large enough and I don't think students close to the VW plant near Ooltewah would be zoned there anyway.

All in all, it's probably a good problem to have, I guess.