Knox Halls Starters

Positives:

- O'laughlin's 40+ yard TD run looked good! Penalty was away from the ball (offside end), and had no effect on the play. In a scrimmage type setting, probably could have told coach and not marked it off. Although many subs were in for DB, some starters were in also.

- McGill looked good on his two carries (about 16+ yards?)!

- Gibson looked good on his long (40+ yard)run!

- Nice throw by Turner and nice catch by Gresham on the 50+(?) yard TD bomb!

- Great call by coaches on pass to a wide open Waggoner that feel incomplete (obvious TD if caught) !

- Great call on first 3rd and short by going on two! Every DB lineman jumped!

- Ifs, could've beens, should've beens, etc.

- Coach J and staff have alot of work to do Monday, but I believe they will work hard to fix all of the problems. I know Maryville fans brag about GQ (rightly so), but coach J is no slouch!

(last years coach of the year)

My two cents (maybe only one cent, as I hate to play coach):

- Hopefully in practice Monday we go back to the basics. Spend 90% of the time getting all 11 starters on the same page (at this time some decisions have to be made or we will not have time to gel, doesn't have to permanent).

- Build a solid foundation with some low risk, smash mouth (Halls trademark)plays. Once the timing looks good on these, spend the last 10% with all those new high risk/high reward plays. Last year everyone new Kitts was our bread and butter, and the we had a solid running game as the foundation.

- I love all the new screens, short passes, etc. we do in practice. The problem is our "foundation" has not been established yet. Hopefully we can get back to the basics this week.

- Where was Hodge at FB - it looked like our FB's could not block there LB's (6 or so sacks off the edge). Someone told me our starting two FB's bench less than 200lbs. It looked like they had trouble blocking.

4mer...player - I like your comments. What do you think?

- Note, these comments are just for fun. In no way do I think we fans should tell the coaches what to do, just have fun on these boards playing grownup.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- Heard practice tonight was better - I heard we ran the ball with a little more success.

- How do you think we will do against Catholic??

- I hope we can find a runnuing back to go with Waggoner (with only 8 practices before Maryville), it's about time that one emerges so we can start working on our timing.

- Why is evryone being so quiet about the Red Devils?

- Heard practice tonight was better - I heard we ran the ball with a little more success.

- How do you think we will do against Catholic??

- I hope we can find a runnuing back to go with Waggoner (with only 8 practices before Maryville), it's about time that one emerges so we can start working on our timing.

- Why is evryone being so quiet about the Red Devils?

I think you will continue to see a lot of running backs in the mix. I think #6 will emerge as the most dangerous back. I am sure he has a ways to go to learn blocking duties, but he is always a threat to break one. It looks like he is going to be returning kicks some too.

I think Catholic will only continue to exploit the poor run defense. I am not sure how our offense will do.

I think the "unknown" has Halls fans quietly waiting to see what happens.

fairplay,

How difficult can blocking for the wing t be? You block down on angles right?

I'm sure practice was better, we were going against our own defense.

I am a bit concerned, not scared mind you, but concerned. Loosing Coach Ward is going to be a bigger blow than either Kits or Dayton. And I'm not sure Coach Williams has the ability to lead the offense.

fairplay,

I am a bit concerned, not scared mind you, but concerned. Loosing Coach Ward is going to be a bigger blow than either Kits or Dayton. And I'm not sure Coach Williams has the ability to lead the offense.

I would venture to guess that it's a little more complicated than blocking down. What about pass blocking responsibilities? Sometimes you run a route, sometimes you have to stay in and block. If you get that messed up, the QB gets crushed.

fairplay,

Amen, LSMFT, about the loss of Coach Ward being harsh. Be careful what you ask for, they always say. I've heard some express glee at Coach Ward's departure, but he had been around the block a few times and had, as IM80 has said, developed patience and wisdom in his many years of coaching.

divercity,

Anyone that expresses GLEE or JOY about Coach Ward leaving the coaching ranks of Halls is an idiot, pure and simple. The man has prolly forgotten more than many ever knew.

I would be willing to bet if he came back right now the offense would be much better by this Friday. Like I said in an earlier post, I am CONCERNED about Coach Williams being the lead man in this offense. I hope I am wrong, if so I will stand up and sing his praises.

haveityourway,

Consider we only throw 8-10 times per game and most are go routes to a WR, how difficult can that be. The OL steps inside and block there gap, you block off the tackles butt. Run the waggle off the sweep and no one has to block they are in a route. Now if I'm wrong, show and tell me the intracities of blocking for the wing t.

divercity,

Anyone that expresses GLEE or JOY about Coach Ward leaving the coaching ranks of Halls is an idiot, pure and simple. The man has prolly forgotten more than many ever knew.

I would be willing to bet if he came back right now the offense would be much better by this Friday. Like I said in an earlier post, I am CONCERNED about Coach Williams being the lead man in this offense. I hope I am wrong, if so I will stand up and sing his praises.

haveityourway,

Consider we only throw 8-10 times per game and most are go routes to a WR, how difficult can that be. The OL steps inside and block there gap, you block off the tackles butt. Run the waggle off the sweep and no one has to block they are in a route. Now if I'm wrong, show and tell me the intracities of blocking for the wing t.

Here's some things to consider :

As a soph, he's got to learn all the formations, all the plays, all the blocking assignments. So any outside play he's got to remember whatever blocking assignment he's given which can vary from play to play. On inside plays he has to remember the blocking assignment from play to play which also varies. For pass blocking, I believe Halls uses 4 base schemes that aren't just inside gap protect and running back off the edge (1 of the 4 is I believe). That doesn't include the waggle or any other pass play off of play action. Then take into consideration all the formations he's got to learn. Granted the first scrimmage probably didn't reveal a whole lot of formations, but that's just typical for a Halls offense. Anyways, all of this said, I would guess that as a freshman he just learned the very, very basics to the offense. He maybe have learned 6 or 7 offensive plays and perhaps two passing schemes and maybe 1/3 of the formations. Depending on his ability to learn, he could grasp everything fast or it could take a while. Let's hope he gets it quick.

Very proud of the boys in red tonight! As I've (as well as others have) said before, tonight's mistakes was mostly mental and not physical. As far as being in shape, we look great! In my eyes, I see Waggoner & O'Laughlin starting at wing back this year. O'Laughlin is real tough and hard-nosed, lowering his shoulder on almost every rush. Gibson also is a good back.

I agree with BtgoG, our QB's held on to the ball for FOREVER long resulting in monstrous sacks/tackle for losses.

I can't wait until the next few scrimmages and the jamboree all leading up to the biggest night in Halls football in 12 years.

KEEP IN MIND, COACHT POSTERS - IT'S A LOT EASIER TO PLAY THE GAME OF FOOTBALL FROM THE STANDS THAN IT IS THE GRIDIRON, ITSELF