Knox Halls Starters

Scrimmages are not games; as such, it's difficult to tell what would have happened had it been a real game, but I'll make a few pluasible predictions.

First off, let me complment the CAK players, coaches, and fans on their hospitality, sportsmanship, and level of play. They will compete, and compete well, in 2A. No offense but...

1. In a game, there would not have been a scenario wherby guys in blue jerseys could not be hit, but could turn right around and come in on defense and tackle leading with their helmet. Go back and watch the film and check out the little CAK D-Back/QB if you doubt me.

2. In a game, there would have been at least 1 flag thrown, there were NONE thrown in the entire scrimmage. Again go back and watch the film and watch CAK's line locking feet and grabbing jerseys. In fact watch #75 routinely blocking our DEs in the back all game long and watch the refs telling him about it after EVERY play, and then watch the CAK coaches chewing him out on the sidelines for doing it EVERY play. That nifty little passing game, while fairly effective, would not have been as consistent if penalties were being called on EVERY play. CAK would have had over 100 yards in penalties in that scrimmage. They'd better fix their little holding problem before next week or they'll never complete a drive and wonder why? The Halls line didn't hold; they didn't need to; they blew the CAK defensive line off the ball on virtually every play. If I had a dollar for every time #75 blocked in the back, I could feed my whole family at Sonic; and I have a LARGE family. I'll bet our #86, Alex Starrett, has brusises all over his back today?

/blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

3. In an actual game, Halls would have pounded the ball down CAKs throat until their "1's" were done and then the depth of the Red Devils would have made even further mince-meat out of CAK as evidenced by the severe drop-off in talent at the next level with these two teams. TheCAK QB would have taken a pounding in the half-dozen or more sacks that were whistled off. Without the holding they got away with, he may have been sacked a dozen or more times in a game? Also, a couple of those sacks would have been SACK/INTs resulting in a change of posession that the scrimmage did not allow because of the "blue-jersey/ whistle" thing.

Like I said, nice scrimmage, and perfect to expose our need to improve our pass defense but in an actual game, Halls would have taken it by 3-4 touchdowns, easy. CAK would have scored, but the end result would not have been pretty. Our defensive backs haven't had much of a passing offense to test them in previous scrimmages or in practices. That was the first passing offense we've seen since last Fall counting our own in practices.

I expect we'll give Fulton all they can handle tomorrow night in the jamboree.

All that said, we need to get our timing down on our passing game and work through the recievers who are out with injury and we need to bump the opposing teams recivers at the line of scrimmage as our d-backs are physical and fast enough to play man on man defense, but for some strange reaosn we give opposing recievers too big a cushion. Halls is a physical team and any reciever who wants to catch the ball needs to know he's gonna be hit when he plays Halls. This defense can be REALLY good, but need to play just a tad meaner.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK,,,,OK,,,,,It is time for me to step in. My son is a starter on the CAK defense. I watched him play in the scrimmage last night, I watched the film before going to bed and again when I got home from work today. Every play that he has on the field I have on tape, yes including the PAT. While he and the other starters on the D line played they gave up ONLY one touchdown ( on the opening drive ) I cannot say at what point the starting LB's and DB's were pulled, my guess would be at the same time the D Line came out. But AGAIN, I cannot say due to the film angle I have.

If we all cannot agree at what point our defensive starters came out, I can say with ZERO doubt that my son came out before a second touchdown was scored by Halls.

Just wondering.......do all CAK parents get scrimmage tapes the night of the scrimmage? How does that work?

Sounds like Halls parents get them also. Is that correct? I can't imagine getting a scrimmage from our coaches.

Maybe you taped the scrimmage yourself? With all the tapes floating isn't there a chance your competitors will get a copy?

I'm sorry, I can't resist...

OK, if you say so , but just so you know the little db / qb you refer to is not a starter and because he is 2nd qb will not be second team db IMO. Secondly. #75 is a freshman and not a starter. He will have to learn, but he has enormous upside. With all due respect, I haven't heard anyone submit CAK's debth hung with Hall's debth. But your examples were from down the depth chart. I'll agree Halls ran the ball very powerfully and well against our first defense but I'll bet you have reasons why CAK couldn't have continued to drive on your defense... I submit had starters stayed based on what we saw Halls would have cont to run the ball effectively. CAK had trouble handling Hall's size on the line IMO. But,CAK would have picked apart your secondary. I base this not on what if's but what I saw. If you came away convinced Hall's would have shut down CAK's offense, no offense but I sincerely question your objectivity.

I'm sorry, I can't resist...

OK, if you say so , but just so you know the little db / qb you refer to is not a starter and because he is 2nd qb will not be second team db IMO. Secondly. #75 is a freshman and not a starter. He will have to learn, but he has enormous upside. With all due respect, I haven't heard anyone submit CAK's debth hung with Hall's debth. But your examples were from down the depth chart. I'll agree Halls ran the ball very powerfully and well against our first defense but I'll bet you have reasons why CAK couldn't have continued to drive on your defense... I submit had starters stayed based on what we saw Halls would have cont to run the ball effectively. CAK had trouble handling Hall's size on the line IMO. But,CAK would have picked apart your secondary. I base this not on what if's but what I saw. If you came away convinced Hall's would have shut down CAK's offense, no offense but I sincerely question your objectivity.

As I said before, CAK is a fine 2A team, but a full game would have gotten a similar 40 something to 20 something result. That gives plenty of credit where it's due, IMHO.

Do you honestly think that #75 aside, that CAK would not have been severly penalized, suffered multiple sacks, and been picked off several times in a real game? If not, I question your objectivity.

Do you doubt those couple of dink and dunk drives would have been hampered by penalties that were completely absent in the scrimmage?

Did CAK play penalty free ball in 2007?

I also agree with you, if #75 is a freshman, you have a lot to look forward to, if he can stop blocking in the back.

Congrats again on a fine scrimmage CAK fans. You helped expose our temporary weakness, pass defense. It'll be fixed in time for when games count, thanks to the scrimmage.

What will CAK need to fix in your opinion? I think you know what I think they need to do to compete.

I saw holding that would have been called on the second and third offenses. I did not see it on the first team. It is said that holding could be called on every play, and that may be true. Is it possible holding might have been called on some of the Halls running plays?

In all sincerity, I didn't see much that would have been called against either team's first teamers, but I don't claim to be a referee.

The dink and dunk as you describe it is very difficult to defend in high school ball. Your guys didn't exactly squash it. Some times even at the DI level and NFL level it can cause fits, but particularly at the high school level. When you couple that with the ability to stretch the field (did you notice a couple of long completions for TD's too) it is very difficult for HS defenses that don't see that type of attack week in / week out. No, CAK wasn't penalty free in 07, but if you care to look at the KIL stats, it clearly wasn't a problem. You can fairly say that it is 2A, not 4A, but the QB had 2000 plus yards and Kolinsky had 1300 yds plus substantial receiving yards. This is not including the 3 leading receivers. I toss these out since you brought up 07.

suffered multiple sacks, and been picked off several times in a real game?

You saw this with our second and third team, but not with the firsts. The 2 "sacks" were completed passes to CAK receivers / backs. The QB would have taken a hit, but they were not interceptions or sacks if we're doing the hypothetical real game what ifs. The interceptions on "sacks" were with 2nd QB and down (who will develop and be fine). Don't misunderstand me, you can't line up in the shotgun and throw as much as CAK and never have a penalty or a sack, but that style of offense can make up for it easier than some styles of offense. I think the real exposure is the if the QB is not protected, he could be injured, although we didn't have that problem last year, and #10 is 6-3 185 and moves very well.

I don't believe you saw substantial uncalled penalties against CAK's first team either. The young guys have a ways to go, but our starters hung with every team we scrimmaged in 7 on 7 and scrimmages to date, 5A, 4A, 3A. Am I saying CAK could compete week in week out in 4A, this is not my point. I'm just telling you what I observed this year to date.

You asked what I think CAK needs to improve on to compete. I'll take a stab although I am no coach.

1. If you are playing one deep safety, the deep safety has to react quickly to run fake / pass

2. If CAK faces a run attack of your caliber, they will be challenged. CAK has nimble but not big LB's. Against a Webb or Alcoa, these guys will have to step up to be able to contain the run. 3. Depth is always a challenge at a 2A school. If we have injuries, we will have to have young guys step up.

4. Secondary has to work to improve. Didn't show up against Halls but was did in previous two scrimmages.

As I said before, CAK is a fine 2A team, but a full game would have gotten a similar 40 something to 20 something result. That gives plenty of credit where it's due, IMHO.

Do you honestly think that #75 aside, that CAK would not have been severly penalized, suffered multiple sacks, and been picked off several times in a real game? If not, I question your objectivity.

Do you doubt those couple of dink and dunk drives would have been hampered by penalties that were completely absent in the scrimmage?

Did CAK play penalty free ball in 2007?

I also agree with you, if #75 is a freshman, you have a lot to look forward to, if he can stop blocking in the back.

Congrats again on a fine scrimmage CAK fans. You helped expose our temporary weakness, pass defense. It'll be fixed in time for when games count, thanks to the scrimmage.

What will CAK need to fix in your opinion? I think you know what I think they need to do to compete.

I question your objectivity as well, do you not believe that Halls would have had issues as well? No your right! you guys play error free football! That is not a good argument IMO. for the record they called penalties, but did not mark them off. I saw a couple of flags floating around.

This was a good scriammage by both teams, flush it and move on!

My final comment about CAK -

- I really feel like the 7-7 score with first teamers is the most accurate. Who would have won in real game? Who cares. One thing is for sure, CAK would have scored alot of points early. They thru the ball accurately and effectivly, there is no dening that. We (Halls) had no answer to there passing game. It is foolish to sy we did. Maybe that is why we subbed so early, since no starter is locked in yet. To deny that the depth and line play would have taken helped Halls is also foolish. Would that have been enough to come back, I don't know. I personnaly don't think we (Halls) were taken out to the woodshed, has many on here have said or implied. Like I said, I feel 7-7 or 21-21 reflects the accuracy of the scrimmage.

- Govolsknox - I think your posts are accurate. Like myself, you seem to know more about your team than the others, but your posts are honest and objective. Check my posts,and you will see I usually tend to talk our weaknesses, not strenghths. To deny your offense had a field day against us would be silly.

What about tonight? My two cents:

- If we turn the ball over it will be UGLY! I don't expect us to have much success throwing the ball against their speed. Three and out will be alot better than six the other way. I think AE picked off a pass and returned it for a score last year. Expect to see the same thing tonight.

- I feel we will be shocked by Fultons speed at first, and may give up some early scores or big plays. However, I expect us to play better at the end and take another step forward for the season. What does everyone else think?

Ironman your posts are very much appreciated in content and validity.

You never have been a cheerleader and been over the top on were we stand. You are always looking for improvements and border mainly on the conservative thats how it should be for a team like Halls to want to acheive. There is no doubt the players will give it their all when the friday night lights are turned on.

Some here tend to post either to negatively or way to out there to be believable. I think you have it right on the CAK scrimmage...................it's just a scrimmage would have could have or should have it's all hypothetical. If we are weak in the secondary I'm sure the coaching staff is on top of it and will work the players harder in practice to firm it up. Especially against teams such as Maryville,Central,Clinton and Powell that may throw at least as much as they run. So lets take a deep breathe and just enjoy the prospect of another good year for the program.

Go Red Devils.

What about tonight? My two cents:

- If we turn the ball over it will be UGLY! I don't expect us to have much success throwing the ball against their speed. Three and out will be alot better than six the other way. I think AE picked off a pass and returned it for a score last year. Expect to see the same thing tonight.

- I feel we will be shocked by Fultons speed at first, and may give up some early scores or big plays. However, I expect us to play better at the end and take another step forward for the season. What does everyone else think?

Ironman,

I agree with your assessment except there may not be time to play better at the end in one quarter. Halls has given up loads of points in the jamboree over the last several years. (Webb and AE) I think this is due to the speed factor and the fact that Halls usually tries a few things and tries to make it fun. A great night for Halls would be one long drive that uses up alot of clock followed by a 3 and out for the defense. However, that is wishful thinking. I have heard that Fulton is young at some positions but very athletic.

Either way, I hope we come through tonight and tomorrow night injury free and we work out the kinks.

Coach Kerr used to say that the Jamboree wasn't good for much but showing off uniforms. Well, we've got new ones this year. I can't wait to see them.

Just wondering.......do all CAK parents get scrimmage tapes the night of the scrimmage? How does that work?

Sounds like Halls parents get them also. Is that correct? I can't imagine getting a scrimmage from our coaches.

Maybe you taped the scrimmage yourself? With all the tapes floating isn't there a chance your competitors will get a copy?

My wife tapes all scrimmages and games for our own personal use.