TSSAA Lawsuit

BDURHAM

Based on nothing but my personal opinion, with no facts whatsoever to back it up, I doubt if there are any. At least some of the lawyers on the case are BA grads and I have assumed that this is pro bono for them. Makes sense when you think about how long this has lasted. If this is correct then only the TSSAA and their member schools, which of course includes BA, will have to pay for this.

Most corporations have insurance to help with legal fees that reach X number of $$$$$ and I feel confident that BA probably had insurance. With that said I am of the opinion that the legal team for BA will probably take the insurance money and will not require BA to pay any additional fees.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on nothing but my personal opinion, with no facts whatsoever to back it up, I doubt if there are any. At least some of the lawyers on the case are BA grads and I have assumed that this is pro bono for them. Makes sense when you think about how long this has lasted. If this is correct then only the TSSAA and their member schools, which of course includes BA, will have to pay for this.

none of the attorneys are BA grads; however, Lee Barfield's daughter attended the school. The school has placed money in reserves for years to cover fees. Since BA was the plaintiff, insurance will not cover fees.

Actually. I had looked up the law firm for BA a long time ago but didn't feel like researching it again.

FYI. James F. Blumstein from Vanderbilt Law School was listed in the last Supreme Court decision as the arguing the case on the BA side. Bass, Berry and Sims where Lee Barfield is a partner was the law firm for BA.

I doubt it has been pro bono, but anything is possible. A Vanderbilt law

professor working pro bono....maybe. Bass, Berry, & Sims, doing all of

this pro bono? I doubt it.

This is what the TSSAA has been cited as having in legal fees:

From THE TENNESSEAN article:

The high school association has spent about $2,725,000

in legal fees involved in the case as of June 30, 2007, according to an audit.

I would have to believe that BA's legal fees are similar.

The TSSAA's lawyer guess at the end of 2007 on the legal fees:

By the end of 2007, Colbert estimates that both parties had spent upwards of $7 million on the case. "Brentwood Academy hired a stable of good and well-financed lawyers that kept their doctrine alive in court, and tried to get us to cave in. That is my simple view of the case," Colbert says.

Just for purposes of rounding, if the TSSAA spent around $3 mill in the case, then BA spent approximately $4 mill.

That would be:

A.) A lot to swallow for Bass, Berry, & Sims as a pro bono case

B.) A lot to write off the books at "No Charge" for Bass, Berry, & Sims

C.) A lot for any group of high school boosters to raise to pay a bill (not counting interest or late charges)

D.) With the debt service on the recently completed Fine Arts and Athletic Complex, this bill could easily double that amount.

E.) With an enrollment of around 350, that charge per family to pay this bill would be outrageous

How does one school, no matter how well-endowed, pay for this Quixotic mis-adventure?

The rules for and of the TSSAA are provided and instituted to allow everyone the same opportunity to play on the even field. The position of Mr Carter has been and will continue to be the fairest that anyone can provide. I have found him to be very driven in the regard "What is fair for one is also fair for the other". BA did chose to enroll with the TSSAA and therefore should play by the same rules. Now come on!