TSSAA Lawsuit

BDURHAM

The debate is far from over, and there will be a major push for

a complete and total split from different areas of the state.

The Tennessean is reporting this morning that the long life of this lawsuit is officially over. BA chose not to appeal the July 18 decision by the US District Court. BA had until 11:59 p.m. Monday to appeal. The news brief attributes the following quote to TSSAA attorney Rick Colbert: "All proceedings and litigation are over".

Some of you guys are going to have a whole lot of extra time on your hands now. What will you do?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone have the faintest clue as to what the legal tab for BA is up to this point?

Where does the money come for paying this? The parents? Current boosters? Concessions?

At one point this was a Constutional rights case alleging that TSSAA had violated BA's first amendment rights. As such, if BA prevailed, BA's "reasonable" attorney fees would be assessed against TSSAA. I expect BA's attorneys were expecting a huge award of fees if they won, but planned to write off all or most of the fees as pro bono work if they didn't.

I expect BA's attorneys were expecting a huge award of fees if they won, but planned to write off all or most of the fees as pro bono work if they didn't

Again, an opinion, but one that has been shot down as implausible because of the sum involved.

We are all left to wonder what the facts are. I guess the general public will never know.

Maybe Ronnie Carter could answer this one.

I hear some DI private school are planning to sue the TSSAA over the multiplier. There are DI public schools that charge tuition for out of zone kids, why don't they have a multiplier? I guess we will have to see what happens

SWEET!!! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

And it`s only fair. It`s what I`ve been aying for a long time. How can you complain about these "so-called" advantages of private schools when there are public schools that can do the exact same thing?

I hear some DI private school are planning to sue the TSSAA over the multiplier. There are DI public schools that charge tuition for out of zone kids, why don't they have a multiplier? I guess we will have to see what happens

As I recall the rationale for the multiplier wasn't whether students paid tuition, it was a perception (OK, it might have been a preceived fact) that all private schools have exactly a 180% advantage over all public schools. That is, unless the private school allows a student to participate who is on financial aid. In that case there's no multilplier large enough to overcome the advantage of a relativley less well off child on the field of play. The board of control has determined that allowing less well off children to play for private schools presents an advantage that is unsurmountable even with mathematics.

At one point this was a Constutional rights case alleging that TSSAA had violated BA's first amendment rights. As such, if BA prevailed, BA's "reasonable" attorney fees would be assessed against TSSAA. I expect BA's attorneys were expecting a huge award of fees if they won, but planned to write off all or most of the fees as pro bono work if they didn't.

BA went to bat for their first amendment rights representing all independent schools in America. So I would think the National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS) will help out with legal fees.