More Fuel for BA Haters

feverpitch

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could care less what happens to Brentwood Academy but I do feel like any further punishment should not be handed down by the Board of Control. Poll all of the D2 schools (no D2 reps on the Board of Control) and give each of them 1 vote as to what should happen to Brentwood Academy.

It gets tiresome to read every week, year after year about the acussation of privates recruiting. Do most of you who are posting these comments actually have a definition in mind of "recruiting"?

You see, public schools have a built in constituency, and draw from a defined geographic area. Essentially all kids in that area who go to public high school go to THAT school. Private high schools do not have a built in constituency, so must venture out and meet kids in middle schools (they often have their students go visit the schools), or they host "get to know the school" events at parents' homes or at the school.

If they didn't do this, a whole lot of kids and parents would know very little about the private hogh schools. This is the case with all private schools nationwide. Is this recruiting? Nope. So just because some kid from "the other side of town", who happens to be athletic, attends a private school . . . don't assume they were "recruitied" illegally. Maybe they attended one of the events, or met a student visiting their middle school, and then they wanted to know more, or their parents asked about the athletic program. Don't always assume the worst.

And, if the kids can't cut it academically, then they can't stay in school ( at least at Ensworth). And, no, I am not totallu naive . . . I can imagine that some illegal stuff does occur. Just like public schools who keep kids eligible, when they should be failing.

It gets tiresome to read every week, year after year about the acussation of privates recruiting. You see, public schools have a built in constituency, and draw from a defined geographic area. Essentially all kids in that area who go to public high school go to THAT school. Private high schools do not have a built in constituency, so must venture out and meet kids in middle schools (they often have their students go visit the schools), or they host "get to know the school" events at parents' homes or at the school.

If they didn't do this, a whole lot of kids and parents would know very little about the private hogh schools. This is the case with all private schools nationwide. Is this recruiting? Nope. So just because some kid from "the other side of town", who happens to be athletic, attends a private school . . . don't assume they were "recruitied" illegally. Maybe they attended one of the events, or met a student visiting their middle school, and then they wanted to know more, or their parents asked about the athletic program. Don't always assume the worst.

And, if the kids can't cut it academically, then they can't stay in school ( at least at Ensworth). And, no, I am not totallu naive . . . I can imagine that some illegal stuff does occur. Just like public schools who keep kids eligible, when they should be failing.

thank you for the insight and to reply to your " Do most of you who are posting these comments actually have a definition in mind of "recruiting"?Private high schools do not have a built in constituency, so must venture out and meet kids in middle schools (they often have their students go visit the schools), or they host "get to know the school" events at parents' homes or at the school

coming from Chicago and coaching at a major catholic football power your term of recruiting and them i.e. Ensworth venturing out are for the most part the same thing as i know from first hand expierience.yes JOE STUD may have attended one of your events or whatever you claim but dont you think a booster, or coach puts his 2 cents in for them to attend the school- yopu mean to tell me that if joe im in the band goes to a school event or JOE football stud does whom do you think the school will go after > look i played these games, we would find out a kid that ran a 4.5 and for 2000 yds in middle school and went to a school on the other side of town , we made sure that we had some kind of way to contact him or his parents thru direct, snail mail, or whatever, I am sure that some kids do pick a ensworth or BA becasue of its name- but realize these kids are being called upon by alot of privatee schools.

I know the parents of a kid that went to a private school and whom was highly highly touted count them all private schools with a vested interest were calling upon him.

A couple of thoughts:

1) While national rankings are certainly subject to debate and questions of validity, and preseason rankings are basically meaningless, it's good to see BA at the top of the preseason M-Preps rankings for Tennessee schools. Any team that has the talent returning that BA has (and factoring in the non-conference schedule combined with its region schedule in the toughest classification in the state) is worthy of the preseason nod. It’s refreshing to see M-Preps avoid the safe picks that sport uninspiring schedules, where running the table is less of a stretch. If BA runs the table with this schedule, they are hands-down the top team in the state in my book.

2) On that note, I am really excited about the Prattville (AL) game. Prattville may be down a bit and going through coaching transition, but they still should be pretty good, and have, for now, likely taken over Hoover as the gold standard in terms of Alabama football. This game will be a good barometer for Tennessee high school football in 2008. My hat is off to BA for continuing to stick its neck out and take on any and all comers. Whereas other programs are talked about as “[possibilities of] playing other top high school programs from around the country on national TV”, BA (and a few others) goes out and actually plays those programs. Talk about a program that “just does it”.

MUS sure did enjoy knocking Prattville out of the National Select 7 on 7 at Hoover last weekend. The Owls came in third in the tournament, defeating not only Prattville, but the PA state champ as well. MUS did the state of TN and Div II proud...hope BA can continue that against Prattville.

MUS sure did enjoy knocking Prattville out of the National Select 7 on 7 at Hoover last weekend. The Owls came in third in the tournament, defeating not only Prattville, but the PA state champ as well. MUS did the state of TN and Div II proud...hope BA can continue that against Prattville.

Haha........ This makes me laugh. 7 on 7 is nothing like the real thing. If you actually think being good in a 7 on 7 game means anything you have never played football because 7 on 7 is its own sport.