Tn FIREBIRDS 18U Gold Wins World Series in PCB

THSFAN:)

Congratulations are in order to the TN FIREBIRDS 18U Gold ball team!!! The girls played in a field of 37 teams and won all of them but one and came back to beat the Nashville Xplosion in the losers bracket and beat the Birmingham Vipers twice to win the USFA World Series in Panama City Beach (and beat them by a 13-5 loss in a run rule) A team made up of Murfreesboro players with the exception of Chelsea Jones and Erica Duke of Tullahoma. (GO Cats) It was a great way to end the season!!!! All of the girls played really hard in the high heat and humidity and saw a lot of really great teams, several from Tn. but as far away as Oklahoma and Texas. Thanks also to Jeff Breeden, Scott Dorsett and all of the parents for all of your hard work this summer.

Linda Jones:)

GOOD LUCK TO CHELSEA AND ERICA AT UT MARTIN-GO SKYHAWKS!!!!!! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Congratulations are in order to the TN FIREBIRDS 18U Gold ball team!!! The girls played in a field of 37 teams and won all of them but one and came back to beat the Nashville Xplosion in the losers bracket and beat the Birmingham Vipers twice to win the USFA World Series in Panama City Beach (and beat them by a 13-5 loss in a run rule) A team made up of Murfreesboro players with the exception of Chelsea Jones and Erica Duke of Tullahoma. (GO Cats) It was a great way to end the season!!!! All of the girls played really hard in the high heat and humidity and saw a lot of really great teams, several from Tn. but as far away as Oklahoma and Texas. Thanks also to Jeff Breeden, Scott Dorsett and all of the parents for all of your hard work this summer.

Linda Jones:)

GOOD LUCK TO CHELSEA AND ERICA AT UT MARTIN-GO SKYHAWKS!!!!!! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

That is certainly exciting news and I am proud of these girls but I have to ask a question. I had no doubt if they went to a tournament like this they could easily win it. My question is Why did this team , with all that talent NOT play at the 18U A ASA nationals when they had qualified. I know the Xplosion went down to Florida because their coach is connected to USFA and the Xplosion was NOT able to qualify for 18U Gold. ( It is very hard to qualify for gold by the way) I am baffled. A lot of the firebird players are trying for college scholarships. There are no college coaches at USFA , they are all at the 16U A ASA Nationals and at the 18U A ASA Natioals and later at 18U Gold ASA Nationals. There are some talented girls on the firebirds team. ( This team even beat a team -Indiana magic- that did qualify for 18U ASA gold) As good as they were why play in a lower end nationals with no exposure? The best 18U players arent at this tournament to play against. Please dont feel I am being critical. I am just baffled.

That is certainly exciting news and I am proud of these girls but I have to ask a question. I had no doubt if they went to a tournament like this they could easily win it. My question is Why did this team , with all that talent NOT play at the 18U A ASA nationals when they had qualified. I know the Xplosion went down to Florida because their coach is connected to USFA and the Xplosion was NOT able to qualify for 18U Gold. ( It is very hard to qualify for gold by the way) I am baffled. A lot of the firebird players are trying for college scholarships. There are no college coaches at USFA , they are all at the 16U A ASA Nationals and at the 18U A ASA Natioals and later at 18U Gold ASA Nationals. There are some talented girls on the firebirds team. ( This team even beat a team -Indiana magic- that did qualify for 18U ASA gold) As good as they were why play in a lower end nationals with no exposure? The best 18U players arent at this tournament to play against. Please dont feel I am being critical. I am just baffled.

Amen Bluesfan......If you’re able to qualify for ASA Nationals, it’s an experience you will always remember.

Congrats

Amen Bluesfan......If you’re able to qualify for ASA Nationals, it’s an experience you will always remember.

Congrats

Where is the ASA 18 Nationals held? Ridgeland,MS? If these girls are playing 18A and most of them have already committed to colleges, then why not go to PCB and have fun? It's Tennesse! The ASA tournaments here stink! It's time to quit bashing all of the other softball associations. Congratulations TN Firebirds!!

Where is the ASA 18 Nationals held? Ridgeland,MS? If these girls are playing 18A and most of them have already committed to colleges, then why not go to PCB and have fun? It's Tennesse! The ASA tournaments here stink! It's time to quit bashing all of the other softball associations. Congratulations TN Firebirds!!

Nobody is bashing other associations. They serve a purpose esp at the younger age groups. It is just that ASA " A" and ASA Gold are the highest level of softball played. Period. Basically , you want to play at as high a level as you can compete. In this case at least 6 or 7 of the girls on this team had not committed but are LOOKING for a place to play in college , on scholarship perhaps. The place to find college coaches is 16U A ASA nationals, 18UA ASA Nationals, and 18U Gold ASA nationals. You wont find them at these other National tournaments as the best teams and players are usually not there.

Nobody is bashing other associations. They serve a purpose esp at the younger age groups. It is just that ASA " A" and ASA Gold are the highest level of softball played. Period. Basically , you want to play at as high a level as you can compete. In this case at least 6 or 7 of the girls on this team had not committed but are LOOKING for a place to play in college , on scholarship perhaps. The place to find college coaches is 16U A ASA nationals, 18UA ASA Nationals, and 18U Gold ASA nationals. You wont find them at these other National tournaments as the best teams and players are usually not there.

I am also a parent of the TN Firebirds and was just excited as Linda of our victory. I don't "belittle" it or bash the team for having played in "a lower level tournament". We played hard teams in Panama. My sister, who works at CPA, said several of the girls on TN Xplosion go there and it is a very good team. Yes, we did beat the Indiana Magic, but in doing so, were ejected from the tournament supposedly of the other bid we received. Several of the parents feel differently. That ASA tournament left a bitter taste in our mouths. Another team was notified well ahead of time and were told because of their birth, they could not participate. Our team on the other hand, drove to Indiana, played our game, WON, went out to eat and checked into our hotels for the night, only to be informed we were kicked out of the tournament. Yes, we were reimbursed our fees, but not our gas, hotel, time and money....let alone the disappointment and frustration from our children as they would not be able to complete the tournament. (by the by...Indiana Magic got beat both of their first games in the ASA Nationals) I am not "bashing" ASA as I have heard very good things about the tournaments, but if all tournaments are handled like the one in Indiana...I am glad we went to Panama. And the victory for this team was VERY well deserved, exposure or not. (and there were some college coaches there) And as for us not accepting our invitation to the ASA Nationals, one of our coaches had a prior commitment this week that did not allow us to travel.

I am also a parent of the TN Firebirds and was just excited as Linda of our victory. I don't "belittle" it or bash the team for having played in "a lower level tournament". We played hard teams in Panama. My sister, who works at CPA, said several of the girls on TN Xplosion go there and it is a very good team. Yes, we did beat the Indiana Magic, but in doing so, were ejected from the tournament supposedly of the other bid we received. Several of the parents feel differently. That ASA tournament left a bitter taste in our mouths. Another team was notified well ahead of time and were told because of their birth, they could not participate. Our team on the other hand, drove to Indiana, played our game, WON, went out to eat and checked into our hotels for the night, only to be informed we were kicked out of the tournament. Yes, we were reimbursed our fees, but not our gas, hotel, time and money....let alone the disappointment and frustration from our children as they would not be able to complete the tournament. (by the by...Indiana Magic got beat both of their first games in the ASA Nationals) I am not "bashing" ASA as I have heard very good things about the tournaments, but if all tournaments are handled like the one in Indiana...I am glad we went to Panama. And the victory for this team was VERY well deserved, exposure or not. (and there were some college coaches there) And as for us not accepting our invitation to the ASA Nationals, one of our coaches had a prior commitment this week that did not allow us to travel.

I agree ASA needs serious help. But still ASA is BY FAR the best national tournament to attend because of the high level of play.

To clarify what you said, correct me if I am wrong, Your team qualified for 18UA , went and played in a 18U Gold qualifier, beat Indiana magic, were ejected from the tournamant ,and then they stripped you of your 18U A berth????????????? So you had to go the Florida? Or did you get to keep your berth to 18UA nationals but chose not to go there because your coach had a prior commitment, or both? Sorry , I am confused. By the way that team you beat , Indiana magic ,was the team putting on the tournament. Their coach " Clay" pulled a few other things at the end of the tournamant to put out the Southern Force team. ( or so several Tennessee kids on the southern force team say) I understand why ASA would leave a bitter taste in your mouth, but for now ASA is the only nationals that enables kids to be seen. For now at least.

Why , if you had qualified for 18UA would you want to play in an 18U Gold qualifier? You could have gone down to GA and played in all those 23U and 18U non qualifing tournaments and not risked your berth. And why, would a coach agree to coach the 18UA team, and after the team qualifies for 18UA, which is hard, tell the team he or she cannot coach at the nationals because of a previous engagement?

I agree ASA needs serious help. But still ASA is BY FAR the best national tournament to attend because of the high level of play.

To clarify what you said, correct me if I am wrong, Your team qualified for 18UA , went and played in a 18U Gold qualifier, beat Indiana magic, were ejected from the tournamant ,and then they stripped you of your 18U A berth????????????? So you had to go the Florida? Or did you get to keep your berth to 18UA nationals but chose not to go there because your coach had a prior commitment, or both? Sorry , I am confused. By the way that team you beat , Indiana magic ,was the team putting on the tournament. Their coach " Clay" pulled a few other things at the end of the tournamant to put out the Southern Force team. ( or so several Tennessee kids on the southern force team say) I understand why ASA would leave a bitter taste in your mouth, but for now ASA is the only nationals that enables kids to be seen. For now at least.

No, no, no...we weren't stripped of our other berth...we just couldn't go because of our coaches prior commitment. We totally understood his decision and plus it was voted on by the parents (not just our coaches) to go to Florida. Of course, there were those that wanted to go to ASA and then there were those that didn't. Majority rules... but we all still enjoyed our win and time in Florida. Perhaps next year we will be able to try out an ASA tournament if time permits.