Should High School coaches be allowed to visit Middle Schools?

I thought I would throw this out for discussion.

Since the whole premise behind the public/private debate is basically a call for "fairness" then should high school coaches be allowed to visit and meet with middle school kids?

By today`s rule a high school coach is allowed to visit and meet with rising freshman while they are still in middle school/junior high as long as it is a feeder school of the high school. In counties that only have one high school this might not cause a problem. But in counties with numerous high schools I can see a definite unfair field. Most larger counties have magnet schools. Therefore while a particular middle school (middle school A) may be a normal feeder school for a high school (high school A) the middle school kid also has the option of applying for the magnet school (high school /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" /> The coach from high school A can go talk to the kid, while the coach from high school B cannot.

Thoughts?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought I would throw this out for discussion.

Since the whole premise behind the public/private debate is basically a call for "fairness" then should high school coaches be allowed to visit and meet with middle school kids?

By today`s rule a high school coach is allowed to visit and meet with rising freshman while they are still in middle school/junior high as long as it is a feeder school of the high school. In counties that only have one high school this might not cause a problem. But in counties with numerous high schools I can see a definite unfair field. Most larger counties have magnet schools. Therefore while a particular middle school (middle school A) may be a normal feeder school for a high school (high school A) the middle school kid also has the option of applying for the magnet school (high school /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" /> The coach from high school A can go talk to the kid, while the coach from high school B cannot.

Thoughts?

What are the requirements to enter the magnets? Does Liberty or Madison have defined zones? Do they have defined

feeder schools for any of their students?

For the record Liberty does have a defined zone yet can still accept magnet students. Madison has no zone. My question to you is what does it matter?

It matters because if they have defined zones...then they have defined feeder schools.

So...the answer to your question...is yes and no. If it is a defined feeder school...then yes...

they should be able to visit. If it is not a defined feeder school...then no...they should not.

For the record Liberty does have a defined zone yet can still accept magnet students. Madison has no zone. My question to you is what does it matter?

Heck yes, it matters. No proof, but know kids right now in Jackson that are not athletes that still do not know if they are accepted at Madison and will not know until after the start of the school year. Last year, I know of at least one athlete that knew in June before team camps that they were accepted (and they were waaay down on the lottery list). I don't blame the coaches and I would probably do the same thing if in their shoes, but magnets should be treated the same as privates

It matters because if they have defined zones...then they have defined feeder schools.

So...the answer to your question...is yes and no. If it is a defined feeder school...then yes...

they should be able to visit. If it is not a defined feeder school...then no...they should not.

Antwan, Let me ask you this and I`ll continue to use Jackson schools as examples. If Tigrett Middle has been a defined feeder school for JCM and then along comes Madison and Liberty which are magnet schools then should the kids at Tigrett get to only hear from JCM coaches or should they be able to hear what Liberty and Madison coaches have to say?

Antwan, Let me ask you this and I`ll continue to use Jackson schools as examples. If Tigrett Middle has been a defined feeder school for JCM and then along comes Madison and Liberty which are magnet schools then should the kids at Tigrett get to only hear from JCM coaches or should they be able to hear what Liberty and Madison coaches have to say?

I might not have read your answer closely enough so let me ask this. What is the purpose of any high school coach to go and talk to feeder school junior high kids?

I might not have read your answer closely enough so let me ask this. What is the purpose of any high school coach to go and talk to feeder school junior high kids?

I would think to get kids to try out for their team...or to tell them they are having tryouts for their team.

Magnets are a different animal. They are not all the same either. They have different admissions requirements.

Some are totally magnet...some are not all magnet.

I would say only JCM unless they have already qualified for Liberty or Madison.

To be honest, I would prefer that no coaches be allowed to meet with rising freshmen unless the student or his parents request a meeting but that is not going to happen .

JMO. It would seem to me that if you allow coaches at a "feeder" school to meet with rising freshmen you have to allow coaches at optional magnet schools the same privileges. It would also seem fair that private school coaches would enjoy the same privileges within well-defined guidelines.

I would think to get kids to try out for their team...or to tell them they are having tryouts for their team.

Magnets are a different animal. They are not all the same either. They have different admissions requirements.

I would say only JCM unless they have already qualified for Liberty or Madison.

Interesting that you should say "JCM unless they have qualified for Liberty or Madison". Maybe we are on the same accord here. It`s my understanding that the kids (8th graders) from a public school in Nashville had already sought acceptance and signed a contract to BA and yet when the school sent them an update letter the whole BA vs.TSSAA mess started.

Sure they may not eventually get accepted to a magnet school, but the coach of the other school has free reign to tell the kid one on one why he should come to his school with no punishment. IMO that`s allowing "undue influence". Brentwood Academy`s coach can`t just waltz into a middle/junior high school and and speak to these kids. There are a lot of private schools that get good football players just because they have the reputation of being a good football school. On the same note there are very good public schools that attract kids because of their sports. Either way....In metro areas a kid has a choice between his zoned school, his potential magnet schools, or a private school. Yet the TSSAA endorses a zoned school coach to come in and "recruit" players even though that player is not his property.