Should High School coaches be allowed to visit Middle Schools?

Interesting that you should say "JCM unless they have qualified for Liberty or Madison". Maybe we are on the same accord here. It`s my understanding that the kids (8th graders) from a public school in Nashville had already sought acceptance and signed a contract to BA and yet when the school sent them an update letter the whole BA vs.TSSAA mess started.

They were signed up to go to BA...and they were invited to participate in spring practice. They were not enrolled at BA because they were still in junior high at another school. It appeared to be a direct challenge to the rules. That

was what the whole thing was about. BA attempted to challenge the recruiting rules.

To be honest, I would prefer that no coaches be allowed to meet with rising freshmen unless the student or his parents request a meeting but that is not going to happen .

JMO. It would seem to me that if you allow coaches at a "feeder" school to meet with rising freshmen you have to allow coaches at optional magnet schools the same privileges. It would also seem fair that private school coaches would enjoy the same privileges within well-defined guidelines.

I don't have a problem with that. No contact would be fine with me.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, I would prefer that no coaches be allowed to meet with rising freshmen unless the student or his parents request a meeting but that is not going to happen .

JMO. It would seem to me that if you allow coaches at a "feeder" school to meet with rising freshmen you have to allow coaches at optional magnet schools the same privileges. It would also seem fair that private school coaches would enjoy the same privileges within well-defined guidelines.

Bighurt, I`d have to agree with you. If we are so concerned about "undue influence" that brought about the BA case then a high school coach from JCM (<-----used as an example) shouldn`t be allowed to go talk to kids from Tigrett Middle School because those kids from Tigrett have an option to go to Liberty Magnet. We aren`t living in the 70`s anymore. Many counties, even smaller, rural ones allow kids more than one viable option of schools to attend.

So why do we have a rule against undue influence yet endorse a coach from ONE school to legally go talk to these kids in middle school but don`t allow the coach of another viable option from ANOTHER school to talk to them? I`ve never claimed to know what "undue influence" actually is, but it seems to me the TSSAA is endorsing it through archaic rules. It`s time the TSSAA addresses this IMO.

• 4 weeks later...

but it seems to me the TSSAA is endorsing it through archaic rules. It`s time the TSSAA addresses this IMO.

High school coaches have visited Jr. high/Middle schools for years.

Coaches know there is a fine line between recruiting and promoting thier football program.

The TSSAA needs to better define the rules and set some straight forward guidelines versus the undue influence non-sense.

When a private school coach visits a public middle school, eyebrows are raised.

Would it draw as much attention if a public school coach showed up at a private middle school?

1. Does anyone have a list of what undue influence is (examples) or does the TSSAA decide on a case by case basis?

2. Why not allow everyone the opportunity to showcase their school (public & private) to potential students & families?

3. If you don't wish for a coach to speak with student/athletes then just say no or only allow the principal (no assistant principal, academic dean, guidance staff, etc...) the opportunity to speak with potential families other than on school grounds. Once potential students are on your school grounds/campus, IMO they are fair game for you to speak with them about all or one of the school programs.

• 2 weeks later...

1. Does anyone have a list of what undue influence is (examples) or does the TSSAA decide on a case by case basis?

2. Why not allow everyone the opportunity to showcase their school (public & private) to potential students & families?

3. If you don't wish for a coach to speak with student/athletes then just say no or only allow the principal (no assistant principal, academic dean, guidance staff, etc...) the opportunity to speak with potential families other than on school grounds. Once potential students are on your school grounds/campus, IMO they are fair game for you to speak with them about all or one of the school programs.

No one knows what undue influence is. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />