Been awhile since I have been in this forum but I could not believe the lack of interest in the greatest game of all. Where are all the posts? Well lets get the party started! Sol, how the heck have you been? See you still live in the greatest city in America and still passionate about those Redbirds. Can somebody tell me how the Rays have come so far so fast. I know they have young talent but be honest did any of you guys forecast this? I know baseball pretty well and I have to say I never thought that in August the Rays would be ahead of my Sox. Just did not see this one coming so quick. I thought they still needed a little seasoning but I tip my hat. They are for real but let me add that the Sox are not done and still may win the division even with all that has happened with you know who. Sorry can't say his name. I still think Papi is affected by this trade and seems to be worried about protection behind him. (It is true he is not seeing good pitches since ----- left) The sox in my opinion know how to handle adversity and they are gonna have to make adjustments quick. Big 4 game series this weekend with the Whitesox in Chicago and we all know the the BoSox have had the road blues this year. This is not the whole seaon but shapes up to be pretty important. We tank this weekend and the Rays do well then the Division gets further out of reach. Anyway good to be back. Now we need to start talking baseball again. C'mon guys its pennant race time. Be happy /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been awhile since I have been in this forum but I could not believe the lack of interest in the greatest game of all. Where are all the posts? Well lets get the party started! Sol, how the heck have you been? See you still live in the greatest city in America and still passionate about those Redbirds. Can somebody tell me how the Rays have come so far so fast. I know they have young talent but be honest did any of you guys forecast this? I know baseball pretty well and I have to say I never thought that in August the Rays would be ahead of my Sox. Just did not see this one coming so quick. I thought they still needed a little seasoning but I tip my hat. They are for real but let me add that the Sox are not done and still may win the division even with all that has happened with you know who. Sorry can't say his name. I still think Papi is affected by this trade and seems to be worried about protection behind him. (It is true he is not seeing good pitches since ----- left) The sox in my opinion know how to handle adversity and they are gonna have to make adjustments quick. Big 4 game series this weekend with the Whitesox in Chicago and we all know the the BoSox have had the road blues this year. This is not the whole seaon but shapes up to be pretty important. We tank this weekend and the Rays do well then the Division gets further out of reach. Anyway good to be back. Now we need to start talking baseball again. C'mon guys its pennant race time. Be happy /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I think the Sox will get in.....they just don't want to have to go to LA first round. That'll be a brutal series. I've been quite busy post-Manny trade so I haven't kept up with the AL (or any division other than the NL Central) closely but the Yankees don't have enough to catch them, and no team in the AL Central can either. I have no idea how the Rays are this good. Just young and stupid enough not to know any better I guess?

Side note - got to go to a game at Yankee Stadium last week. Never in my life have I been so disappointed visiting such a place. Not been to Fenway, but have been to Cameron and Wrigley and those two are far, far better than Yankee Stadium. I wasn't impressed in the least.

I think the Sox will get in.....they just don't want to have to go to LA first round. That'll be a brutal series. I've been quite busy post-Manny trade so I haven't kept up with the AL (or any division other than the NL Central) closely but the Yankees don't have enough to catch them, and no team in the AL Central can either. I have no idea how the Rays are this good. Just young and stupid enough not to know any better I guess?

Side note - got to go to a game at Yankee Stadium last week. Never in my life have I been so disappointed visiting such a place. Not been to Fenway, but have been to Cameron and Wrigley and those two are far, far better than Yankee Stadium. I wasn't impressed in the least.

Probly why they are going to blow it up. Lot of history for that stadium but not a very eye appealing place. Caught the Sox in Cincinatti this year and in Atlanta and Tampa last year. Still need to get to Fenway park. Me and the wife plan on that next year for our anniversary. As for the Rays I think you are right. They absolutely have no idea they are supposed to lose and when they realize in September that they are right in the middle of the fire we might just see a chink in the armour. Sox got to get it together though so they can make a playoff run because right now I do not think the Sox can take the Angels. As a matter of fact they have kicked our butt this year. All Year!

As painful as it is for me to say this, I don't think the Yankeees get in this year. Solomon, I have never been to Yankee stadium but I have read and heard the same stories you are talking about in regards to the stadium. But, the history and mystic is unbeliveable....Between the linnes is truly hallowed ground and I'ts special to wear those pin stripes. Ruth, Gehrig, Diamaggio, Berra, Mantel, Maris, Munson, Jackson, Mattingly, Williams, Jeter, Kubek, Piniella, Randolph, Rizzuto...Pitchers Gomez, Ford, Larsen , Lyle, Hunter, Righetti, Guidry, Pettitte, Rivera.....Managers Miller Huggins, Joe McCarthy,Casey Stengal, Billy Martin, and Joe Torre. 18 100 win seasons, 20 MVP's, 38 AL pennants and 26 World Series Championships. This is the most valuable franchise in the history of American Sports.

The Yankees have made some bad moves starting with Giambi, Kevin Brown, and who can forget Pavano. The Red Sox would have never made these deals. If I'm not mistaken (and I could be wrong on this one) My Yankees signed Pavano (or maybe it was Brown...I forget) the same year the Red Sox signed Beckett. I have never believed in getting a guy just for star power (the aging veterans or about to be aging) or just because a guy comes off a big season (hence Pavano) I believe in our GM ( Cashman) and think if he has free reign people will start to see many more great players come from the farm system instead of the free agency route. I believe King George simply overruled teh GM. If he wanted a player , no matter what the cost in prospects he got him. That is bad management. The early Torre years were loaded with everyday homegrown talent.

As far as Baseball goes I would say the Cardinals are 2nd to the Yankees with 10 world series Championships. Great plyers from the past like Dizzy Dean, Rogers Hornsby, Stan the Man Musial, Enos Slaughter, BOB GIBSON, Lou Brock, Curt Flood, Joe Torre, Johnny Mize, Bruce Sutter, Willie Mcgee., I havent been to the new Busch Stadium but have the other and it was the place to go for a true baseball fan, Baseball rules in St Louis and nothing even comes close. The Cards are hard to figure out. They used to have one of the top 5 farm systems in all of baseball (year in year out) They haven't produced a true all star type (stud player) since Pujlos. Rasmus is supposed to be a Big Time Major prospect and I hope they hold on to him. He could be a cornerstone for years to come if he pans out as most people believe he will. I say they should have traded Duncan last year when they could have gotten something out of him. He is no better than a first baseman (bad glove) but would be a very good DH in the American League. I see VERY VERY BIG THINGS out of Ankiel. If he ever learns plate disipline...WATCH OUT. He is still raw and has unlimited potential in my opinion. Wainwright came via trade and could be staff ace in my opinion and is still young. The Cards have to rebuild there farm system. I'm very curious as to how and if the new general manager goes about rebuilding the farm system. To many trades under Joketty's reign in my opinion...although it's hard to argue with the results. At some pioint it's just time to get younger and I think that is the direction they are headed. Honestly I think this is one of Laursa's best managings jobs...considering what he has to work with out of the bullpen.Soloman, you probably know this better than I would. I long for the days when baseball was played lke Whitey Herzog's teams played the game. Of course, I don't think the game will ever be played that way again. As a matter of fact Herzog is the only manager I can ever think of that put that much emphasis on the stolen base. Didn't one Of Herzog's mid 80's teams have at least 4 players with 40 or 50+ steals (with one of those with 100+) and another with 30+...Vince Coleman, Willie McGee, Ozzie Smith, Lonnie Smith, and Tommy Herr. Can you imagine if a team played that way today what kind of pressure and distraction that would put on a pitcher. Those Cardinals teams played every game that way. Seems like they really only had one really big stick, that being Jack Clark. I loved those teams. I have often wondered if some of those Cardinal's teams had the most steals ever for a single season.

I'm just glad the Yankees didn't pull the trigger on the Santana deal. I believe in Joba Chamerlin, Phillip Huges, Wang, and Kennedy. all are younger than 25 if i'm not mistaken...two young power arms, a finess guy, and Wang may have the best sinker in baseball. I'm glad the youger George is in charge now. There is no substitue for good young pitching , especially when two are power pitchers. The three new guys (Wang is proven) will pan out in my opinion...they are still learning to pitch. Yankees also have a few very good prospects i the farm system.

The Red Sox have been the best managed team in baseball the last 5 years (speaking of the organzation, with the Angels coming in a close second..the Angeles have a very deep farm system and it takes an act of congress to pry prospects away from the angels) Bar none. Epstein seems to hvae free reign to run the show and is a great baseball mind and a very shrewd buisneesman. Lester, Paplebon, BUchholz, Pedoria, and getting Beckett and Dice K is proof that they have simply out manuvered my beloved yankees. And I give credit where credit is due.

The Rays have suprised me and I can officialy say I am a believer now. I wasn't prepared to say that a minth ago. still think The Red Sox might overtake them in the end...but, who knows.

I was expecting the blue Jays as the suprise team out of the AL East befoe the season started..just because of there pitching staff.

Anyway, long post. I love baseball and it will allways be Americas passtime in my opinion.

If I had to bet money I would put my money on the Angels to win it all. I am still not sold on the Cubs like alot of other people. Maybe they finally make it to the world series but in my opinion they lose if they make it.

If the Phillies had two staff aces they could very well be the best team in baseball. Some will disagree. Makes one wonder why have an American League offense and not so great pithcing. I would have done a blockbuster deal and at least got a top line pitcher. Imagine if the Phillies would have gotten Sabathia and given up one of their young studs. They are absolutley loaded offensively. They have so much offensive firepower they could trade one of those sticks and could have gotten a bigtime pitcher in a blockbuster trade. Bolster the bullpen at the same time via trade. I just think the Phillies are missin ga couple of opieces, but it;s to late now. I'm talking about a couple of pieces that could have put them in VERY SERIOUS CONTENTION to win it all. It's a proven fact thwt pitching wins championships, no mnatter how much offense a team has....Hence the Yankees.

JUst out of curiosity. I have told friends that I think Pujlos is quite possibly the best player since Mickey Mantel. Would be curious to what others opinions are? And I absolutley believe he is bettter than Bonds, young Griffey, and A Rod. What Pujlos has done since his career started is mind bloggling to me. A carrer 330+ hitter with his kid of power and he his a TON of doubles every years as well...And a very good glove as well.

I think what was so disappointing to me was starting out with a bad taste in my mouth. I got there 2 hours before first pitch and by the time I got to the line to go in Monument Park they told me that the line was finished and closed. So I was annoyed from the get-go.

No doubt the history there. You can't argue that. And not just the Yankees. Giants played there in the 50s in the NFL too with Lombardi and Landy as assistant coaches on the sidelines.

Hey Yankees 8589, nice to meet a passionate pinstripes fan that seems to have alot of baseball sense. I have experienced some Yankees fans that are strong willed and passionate but not very smart. Anyway have you ever heard of Matt Clement. He was signed the same year that Pavano was in 2005 after having one good year with the Cubs collected 9 mil a year for either 3 or 4 of the next seasons and he was below average. Certainly not worth 9 mil. So we have had our Pavano too. Beckett was traded for the following year but we gave up Hanley Rameriz. The next Puljos if you will, except he plays shortstop and steals 50 bases. In the end we won a World Series and it washes out as good trade but years down the road will tell the whole story. We may even get him back via free agency because the Marlins will not be able to pay him 200 mil and believe me he will get it. As for the Redsox catching the Rays they dropped their first game the Whitesox last night on the road with this years ace Jon Lester on the mound while the Rays won in Seattle with their new ace James Shields on the mound. We just have not put together a good run this year because we are terrible on the road. It is not an attribute that a championship team can have but if they play to their potential and peak at the right time they could challenge for another ring. I tend to agree with Sol that if they draw the Angels first round then they are in trouble. As for your beloved Yankees I think you are right. Going to have a great future with your young pitching but probly not this year. Joba is on the DL and the other guys Hughes and Kennedy are just not there yet but remember they are still the Yankees and as much as I hate them I respect them. Jeter, Damon, Arod, Abreu,Cano, and Giambi are going to score runs and if the pitching gets better then you have a chance. So you think Puljos is best we have seen. Maybe. He is in rare company. As far as right handed hitters go he and ----- Rameriz and Arod are probly the best I have ever seen. Never seen Joe Dimaggio but nobody exemplifys being a champion like that guy did in the short time he played. Left handed hitters are usually the greatest hitters i.e. (Ruth, Williams, Musial, Yaz, Gehrig, Mccovey, Cobb, and yes even Bonds) and in todays game you have Big Papi, Prince, Hamilton, Sizemore, Howard, Utley, Morneau, Mauer, Gonzalez, and even Adam Dunn. ( dont laugh he is going to hit 40 homers plus for the 5th year in a row). Yes it is debatable but that is why we watch is it not. Hate to say it but at the end of the day Alex Rodriguez is the best and he is right handed. Puljos is close second to him but I argue overall that traditionally the best are left handed and I submit that when you throw the names of Barry Bonds, Babe Ruth, and of course Ted Williams then I believe the argument ends with the three most influential players in the history of the game whether you like them or hate them. Those guys will always be mentioned as the greatest hitters to ever have stepped into a batters box. I know I have not mentioned Aaron or Mays but have ever seen old clips of their swing. Not pretty is it. By the way I am right handed but I know there is not a more pure swing in baseball than the left handed swing. (Will Clark and Junior come immediately to mind) Texiera looks better from the left side and so does Chipper. Just watch and tell me I am wrong. Anyway it has been fun to sound off. I would wish you good luck Yankees8589 the rest of the season but I would not mean it. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Headlines of the N.Y. post says R.I.P. 2008 N.Y. Yankees and I just got off the phone with my buddy from New York who agrees with the headline and from every comment you get from the Yankee organization you tend to think that after this bad week they are ready to mail it in for the rest of the season. So now the question is if this is true do the Red Sox have enough to catch the Rays and is this really a two team race? Yankees are 9 1/2 back with a banged up rotation. They are gonna have to make a run now if they are gonna have a chance. The Redsox have looked good this week but anytime you get Ranger pitching you look good so who knows. Interested in what some of you think?

Hey Yankees 8589, nice to meet a passionate pinstripes fan that seems to have alot of baseball sense. I have experienced some Yankees fans that are strong willed and passionate but not very smart. Anyway have you ever heard of Matt Clement. He was signed the same year that Pavano was in 2005 after having one good year with the Cubs collected 9 mil a year for either 3 or 4 of the next seasons and he was below average. Certainly not worth 9 mil. So we have had our Pavano too. Beckett was traded for the following year but we gave up Hanley Rameriz. The next Puljos if you will, except he plays shortstop and steals 50 bases. In the end we won a World Series and it washes out as good trade but years down the road will tell the whole story. We may even get him back via free agency because the Marlins will not be able to pay him 200 mil and believe me he will get it. As for the Redsox catching the Rays they dropped their first game the Whitesox last night on the road with this years ace Jon Lester on the mound while the Rays won in Seattle with their new ace James Shields on the mound. We just have not put together a good run this year because we are terrible on the road. It is not an attribute that a championship team can have but if they play to their potential and peak at the right time they could challenge for another ring. I tend to agree with Sol that if they draw the Angels first round then they are in trouble. As for your beloved Yankees I think you are right. Going to have a great future with your young pitching but probly not this year. Joba is on the DL and the other guys Hughes and Kennedy are just not there yet but remember they are still the Yankees and as much as I hate them I respect them. Jeter, Damon, Arod, Abreu,Cano, and Giambi are going to score runs and if the pitching gets better then you have a chance. So you think Puljos is best we have seen. Maybe. He is in rare company. As far as right handed hitters go he and ----- Rameriz and Arod are probly the best I have ever seen. Never seen Joe Dimaggio but nobody exemplifys being a champion like that guy did in the short time he played. Left handed hitters are usually the greatest hitters i.e. (Ruth, Williams, Musial, Yaz, Gehrig, Mccovey, Cobb, and yes even Bonds) and in todays game you have Big Papi, Prince, Hamilton, Sizemore, Howard, Utley, Morneau, Mauer, Gonzalez, and even Adam Dunn. ( dont laugh he is going to hit 40 homers plus for the 5th year in a row). Yes it is debatable but that is why we watch is it not. Hate to say it but at the end of the day Alex Rodriguez is the best and he is right handed. Puljos is close second to him but I argue overall that traditionally the best are left handed and I submit that when you throw the names of Barry Bonds, Babe Ruth, and of course Ted Williams then I believe the argument ends with the three most influential players in the history of the game whether you like them or hate them. Those guys will always be mentioned as the greatest hitters to ever have stepped into a batters box. I know I have not mentioned Aaron or Mays but have ever seen old clips of their swing. Not pretty is it. By the way I am right handed but I know there is not a more pure swing in baseball than the left handed swing. (Will Clark and Junior come immediately to mind) Texiera looks better from the left side and so does Chipper. Just watch and tell me I am wrong. Anyway it has been fun to sound off. I would wish you good luck Yankees8589 the rest of the season but I would not mean it. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

I agree most of the greats are Left Handed hitters, becuase they face a steady diet of right handed pithcing. Thats what makes Puljos so amazing. To be a right handed hitter , a career .332 hitter, with his power, and plate coverage is something else. He can hit any pitch. His stats thus far are mind boggling to me. The thing that sets him apart form ARod and the other is his average. Arod career .306, Manny .313, Griffey Jr. .288.

I don't think Pulos has peaked yet either. I honestly belive he will chase .400 one season. Not saying it will happen, though.

Headlines of the N.Y. post says R.I.P. 2008 N.Y. Yankees and I just got off the phone with my buddy from New York who agrees with the headline and from every comment you get from the Yankee organization you tend to think that after this bad week they are ready to mail it in for the rest of the season. So now the question is if this is true do the Red Sox have enough to catch the Rays and is this really a two team race? Yankees are 9 1/2 back with a banged up rotation. They are gonna have to make a run now if they are gonna have a chance. The Redsox have looked good this week but anytime you get Ranger pitching you look good so who knows. Interested in what some of you think?

I agree....It's pretty much over. Losing Wang and Hughes was absolutley devastating to the season. Had we had those two I think we would be there. Injuries are part of the game. I feel good about next season. I still think Boston might catch and pass the Rays. To much expierence. The next Red Sox Rays series will tell alot as to who wins the division.

I agree....It's pretty much over. Losing Wang and Hughes was absolutley devastating to the season. Had we had those two I think we would be there. Injuries are part of the game. I feel good about next season. I still think Boston might catch and pass the Rays. To much expierence. The next Red Sox Rays series will tell alot as to who wins the division.

I have a good friend that lives in Tampa and he reminded me the other day that I said the Rays would fall as the season wore on. My baseball sense keeps telling me this will happen but every time I watch the Rays play or catch a score they have come from behind or won another close one. That is what championship teams do. I just do not wanna believe these guys are that good but then I remember how they swept us earlier in the year at Tampa. If they win the division then I will tip my hat but until it happens I am going to believe that the Redsox are a better team. Like you said their progress will be measured when they face the Redsox next time in the heat of a pennet race and if they beat us straight up then my hat comes off. Regardless of the outcome this is good for the Sox because now they can remain hungry. The Rays are pushing them and I feel that is a good thing and by the way I say good for the Rays. They have taken their lumps over the years and if the Redsox are to win the division then I want them to earn it and not because the Yankees are having a down year. It is a straight fight and may the best club win. Dont you just love pennet races? /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I have a good friend that lives in Tampa and he reminded me the other day that I said the Rays would fall as the season wore on. My baseball sense keeps telling me this will happen but every time I watch the Rays play or catch a score they have come from behind or won another close one. That is what championship teams do. I just do not wanna believe these guys are that good but then I remember how they swept us earlier in the year at Tampa. If they win the division then I will tip my hat but until it happens I am going to believe that the Redsox are a better team. Like you said their progress will be measured when they face the Redsox next time in the heat of a pennet race and if they beat us straight up then my hat comes off. Regardless of the outcome this is good for the Sox because now they can remain hungry. The Rays are pushing them and I feel that is a good thing and by the way I say good for the Rays. They have taken their lumps over the years and if the Redsox are to win the division then I want them to earn it and not because the Yankees are having a down year. It is a straight fight and may the best club win. Dont you just love pennet races? /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Yep...Love a good pennet race. I will be pulling for the Rays. Can't EVER pull for the redsox, not under any circumstances /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> you know how it is. The Rdesox have a very good team. Alot of people might disagree with me , but I think getting rid of Manny is going to hurt come playoff time. The Redsox have as a team have been able to deal with Manny's craziness in the past. Maybe it was time to cut their losses with his bizzare behavior. We will see. Manyy is just one of the greatest big game hitters I have ever seen and has done it under some big time pressure situations. The team is better of thats for sure but they may need that stick in October. I know his replacement is good...but not that good. Go Rays!!!!

Yep...Love a good pennet race. I will be pulling for the Rays. Can't EVER pull for the redsox, not under any circumstances /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> you know how it is. The Rdesox have a very good team. Alot of people might disagree with me , but I think getting rid of Manny is going to hurt come playoff time. The Redsox have as a team have been able to deal with Manny's craziness in the past. Maybe it was time to cut their losses with his bizzare behavior. We will see. Manyy is just one of the greatest big game hitters I have ever seen and has done it under some big time pressure situations. The team is better of thats for sure but they may need that stick in October. I know his replacement is good...but not that good. Go Rays!!!!

True that. How is it that I just agreed with everything you just said except for the go Rays part. Quick without thinking about it name your favorite dinosaur. Did we just become best friends? Scene from Stepbrothers! Gotta go see it. It is a little vulgar but very funny. Anyway enough humor. I will miss Manny's bat come playoff time but I cant say I will miss a guy that fakes injury and dogs it in the field of play to protest the Redsox not giving him an extension but hey it was a good run and he helped deliver two championships. Alas the time has come to part ways and as manny fans wanted him to stay just as manny wanted him to go. (no pun intended) O.k. I realize I said enough humor but I could not resist. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />