2008 Powell Panthers

osunut2

i would think that if the team is well conditioned, then playing both sides of the ball all four quarters wouldn't be that bad.

plus if you have a rotation of ten lineman (the 5 on offense, the 5 on defense) then they would be ample subbing in different situations

my halls team (like nearly all teams) have guys on both sides of the ball, but they have a hard conditioning program and are in great shape and are able to play the entire game (i.e. west last year, came back in the second half and overtime)

one positive like mentioned before if more kids get to play, lets be honest, kids want to play, not sit on the sidelines, so this dual-platoon system get some kids that might not be as much to play more.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The majority of fatigue problems to me comes in line play. These guys are the unsung heroes of football, opening up holes for the RBs or allowing LBs to make most of the plays against the run defensively. These guys never have a break from contact and exert more energy than skill guys day in and day out. The key is you either have a great rotation of good players or you two platoon. Powell over the past few years has chosen to platoon it, which if it works is good for them. However, some other teams start players both ways up front. Take Knox Halls for example. They have played guys both ways for years. Some years it worked very well, others not so much. The key for teams like this isn't exactly how well these guys are in shape (conditioning certainly plays a roll), rather do they have anyone behind them that is good enough to come in and give them a break and not lose much. I noticed last year that Halls rotated on the DL rather frequently. This is a really good thing. The best players are on the field and the back up kids come in and give a ton of effort and are good enough to give the better players a few plays off here and there. So this isn't a two platoon system, but it is in a way. The big guys are fresh enough in the 4th quarter to still be very effective. As for skill guys, it varies from player to player and what your team does offensively as well as your opponent. If both teams like to throw the ball, then skill guys are going to get tired fairly quickly. Now the same scenario applies. Are there kids behind the starters who can come in on either side of the ball and there not be a whole lot of a talent drop off? If so, then two platoon might not be the best choice, but if not and one kid is better than another at a position by far, then two platoon may indeed be the best choice. I'd say if Coach Lowe has a two platoon system in then it's probably the best situation for PHS.

I guess the bottom line is it really doesn't matter what a coach does: Playing 11 or playing 22, when he wins everybody loves him and when he doesn't there's a stadium-full of critics ready to tell him how to do it better. To bring this thing full circle I just hope Powell shows dramatic improvement on defense between now and the meat portion of the schedule when you have Maryville, Anderson County, Halls, West and Central, not to mention an improved Karns team game three and an improved Clinton team to finish the year. Powell's starting defense gave up six scores to Catholic, six to Alcoa and two to CAK, stopping Catholic once and Alcoa once. That's not going to get it done against the likes of Maryville, Anderson County, Halls, etc.

Interesting debate about platooning. Good if it works, bad if it doen't. How has it been working? Sounds like more kids are involved but what about the quality of play on the field? I don't have a son involved currently, what does it look like for the panthers in the future (next 3-4 years) .

The quality on the field is the million-dollar question. It's hard to say if two-platooning is having a negative impact because players who are reserves at one position -- say defensive line -- don't get a look at the other side of the ball. You don't know if kids like #91, #94, #90 or #96 (now a starter because of injury) could improve the offensive line. Could #16 be a good slot receiver? Could #10 or #22 help on defense?

Currently Powell has two sophomores and three seniors starting on the offensive line. Their backup quarterback is a sophomore and their backup running back is a freshman. The only receiver that returns is #6, a junior. On defense the entire line are seniors, two of the five linebackers are seniors and all the defensive backs are seniors. Most of the backups are sophomores and some are freshmen. All that you can say for sure is they are going to be young.

Interesting debate about platooning. Good if it works, bad if it doen't. How has it been working? Sounds like more kids are involved but what about the quality of play on the field? I don't have a son involved currently, what does it look like for the panthers in the future (next 3-4 years) .

The new rezoning plan isn't going to help them very much either. Powell lost a lot of students west of Emory Road (although they did gain some Central students in return), but I expect that change will hurt their football depth in the future. That part of the Powell-Karns area is growing a great deal, so that will definitely hurt the program.

about the platooning system i was a skeptic at first to be honest i like most of the people on this board thought that the product on the field wouldn't be as good but i've been watching CAK and they do it no one plays both ways it is a different 11 each side of the ball and i'm amazed at what the difference is between guys who don't have to play both ways and the guys that only play both ways, now saying this i think at powell they might be a little heavy on the offensive side of the ball but who knows all i'm saying is a team can take players that aren't as gifted and compete and even dominate players who are better but play both ways and because of this why doesn't powell do more to wear down their opponent it might have just been in the jamboree but if they do play guys only one way i would expect them to be a hurry up offense and just wear down the other team but just my own thoughts

about the platooning system i was a skeptic at first to be honest i like most of the people on this board thought that the product on the field wouldn't be as good but i've been watching CAK and they do it no one plays both ways it is a different 11 each side of the ball and i'm amazed at what the difference is between guys who don't have to play both ways and the guys that only play both ways, now saying this i think at powell they might be a little heavy on the offensive side of the ball but who knows all i'm saying is a team can take players that aren't as gifted and compete and even dominate players who are better but play both ways and because of this why doesn't powell do more to wear down their opponent it might have just been in the jamboree but if they do play guys only one way i would expect them to be a hurry up offense and just wear down the other team but just my own thoughts

Sorry off topic here, but it would be more glorious for us old-timers if you young-uns would use some punctuation. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

I suppose I agree with your post, once I deciphered it. But even Powell (at least last year) didn't go all the way to a two platoon system. Jordan Allen, Matt Abba and Jimmy Franklin played both ways a bunch.

One question for the Panther nation - Why don't you play Webb any more?

One statement for the Panther nation - Prsonally, I don't think Matt Lowe is the right person to have the title of Head Coach at Powell.

I know, this is just my opinion and I know what opinions are like...

The new rezoning plan isn't going to help them very much either. Powell lost a lot of students west of Emory Road (although they did gain some Central students in return), but I expect that change will hurt their football depth in the future. That part of the Powell-Karns area is growing a great deal, so that will definitely hurt the program.

Actually, the opposite has happened with the rezoning change. In talking with a school administrator yesterday I learned that the student population at Powell has increased by about 150-200 students this year with the zone change. The number of student/athletes in the football program has increased, as well. While the area west of Clinton Highway has gone to Karns, the area of Norwood/Inskip that includes densly populated areas because of a high content of apartments has been rezoned from Central to Powell. That is what is responsible for creating the higher number of students at Powell.

Don't get me wrong - I was not for the rezoning that took the area of Powell west of Clinton Highway away from the Powell High zone. It split the Powell community in a negative way. Once again, the northern part of Knox County had to pay for west Knox County's growth. The people in Farragut wanted relief from overcrowding in their schools, but they didn't want their kids to have to be the ones affected. Again, Karns, Powell, Central, and Halls get screwed in favor of west Knoxville schools. So, what else is new?

One question for the Panther nation - Why don't you play Webb any more?

One statement for the Panther nation - Prsonally, I don't think Matt Lowe is the right person to have the title of Head Coach at Powell.

I know, this is just my opinion and I know what opinions are like...

I addressed that earlier.

Powell and Webb played for 4 straight years. For non-border type of schools 4 years is a long enough contract. It was a mutual agreement to end the series at the end of that contract.

Webb deserves a ton of credit for beating Powell 4 straight times when they were obviously out talented. Their discipline in the winged T offense is incredible and they earned each win. For whatever reason, Powell has always had problems defending the winged T, all the way back to the early 90s.

The gate had a lot to do with ending the contract from Powell's perspective. As I am sure you are aware, Knox County does not fund athletics other than with coaching supplements and limited facilities upkeep funds. Football is an expensive sport to fund, so gates are very important. Webb, being a small private school, just doesn't have the ability to draw many fans because their fan base is small - kind of like Vanderbilt's is in the SEC. When Powell played at Webb for the two years that they did, 75% of the crowd were Powell fans. When Webb played at Powell, they brought very few fans because of their small fan base. It just made sense to try to get a bigger school - an Anderson County or Campbell County - who would draw better and help increase the gate, and that goes both ways. When Powell traveled to Anderson County last year they took a huge crowd to AC, most likely one of the biggest of the year for AC. It will be the same when Powell opens at Campbell County this year. The decision to end the series with Webb had little, if anything, to do with wins and losses.

Matt gets a bad rap from a lot of people on this forum. All in all, he has done a good job in his two years as the head coach at Powell. He knows football and his players respect him.