2008 Powell Panthers

osunut2

Actually, the opposite has happened with the rezoning change. In talking with a school administrator yesterday I learned that the student population at Powell has increased by about 150-200 students this year with the zone change. The number of student/athletes in the football program has increased, as well. While the area west of Clinton Highway has gone to Karns, the area of Norwood/Inskip that includes densly populated areas because of a high content of apartments has been rezoned from Central to Powell. That is what is responsible for creating the higher number of students at Powell.

Don't get me wrong - I was not for the rezoning that took the area of Powell west of Clinton Highway away from the Powell High zone. It split the Powell community in a negative way. Once again, the northern part of Knox County had to pay for west Knox County's growth. The people in Farragut wanted relief from overcrowding in their schools, but they didn't want their kids to have to be the ones affected. Again, Karns, Powell, Central, and Halls get screwed in favor of west Knoxville schools. So, what else is new?

Amen on the rezoning. Halls was not affected this time like the Gibbs/Halls line redraw a few years back, but the north is commonly impacted negatively by the west.

On the two-platoon...It is not a true two plattoon where each player only learns one position like in college. I mean when Halls scrimmaged CAK, the QB's wore different color jersies. Some of those blue jersies played some defense. Do players learn positions on both sides of the ball? I would assume that they do. A first team defensive lineman might be the 2nd or 3rd team offensive guard, right?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it could cut both ways. Collins and Drummer would probably be pretty good free safeties because neither one seems to shy away from contact. Likewise #22, #26, #10 and #6 look like good enough athletes to help out on defense. Vise-versa Hanson has good hands and good speed and could help the offense and a couple of the linebackers look big and athletic enough to help on the offensive line. The free safety, #8, looks like a big hitter with good speed that could play a variety of places on both sides of the ball. I also think some of the reserve defensive lineman, #91 and #94, look like they could help the offensive line because they appear to be good athletes playing behind seniors. The cornerback, #16, is also a good athlete that could play on both sides of the ball. Why not teach every player a position on offense and defense then let the best man (boy) win. If one wins two positions, more power to him.

I could possibly agree with Collins... but he has a hard time with offensive plays let alone defensive. Drummer is not a hitter. He will hit you though when your not looking. 22 and 26 are new and still do not have the offensive scheme down yet. They needs to focus on one or the other. 10 does NOT like to hit period. 6... I could see that happening...and may happen before long. 8 is a hitter for sure... but this is his first yr of HS football, which is overwhelming enough by itself. 91 and 94 are not Offensive line material at this stage in there HS career... but you never know what the future could yield. Im not 100% sure yet who number 16 is but Ill find out...

That's not a bad point and you have to give Matt Lowe credit for being creative. But there are kids at Powell that can play on both sides of the ball and having them go two ways would help the team. I believe Hanson is the most obvious example, but there are others. My counterpoint is what I wrote earlier: Why not let each player get a shot on both sides of the ball before putting him down as offense or defense only? Look around the region and Powell is the only team with this philosophy. That's not to say its the wrong philosophy, just different. Hopefully it proves to be the right one in the long run.

Hanson already plays on both sides... He just hasnt figured out how to get on the field offensively... I sure hope he can find another Gear and step it up so he CAN be used on offense. Any player at Powell chooses which side he or she plays on... if then have a chance to play faster on the other side then they switch...

but... when it comes down to it... I agree the 2 platooning works if you can have 1 or 2 of you mad atheletes playing some Ironman style football /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

One question for the Panther nation - Why don't you play Webb any more?

One statement for the Panther nation - Prsonally, I don't think Matt Lowe is the right person to have the title of Head Coach at Powell.

I know, this is just my opinion and I know what opinions are like...

*yawn* /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

As far as it goes I haven't seen Drummer shy away from contact as a receiver, so that's what I was basing that on. It's always been my experience that if you don't mind getting hit, you'll probably not mind hitting someone else.

As for the others this is my point: New players at most schools don't learn one side of the ball and then the other. If they can play, they are given an opportunity on offense and defense. Again, this is not to say what Powell is doing is wrong, it's just different. #91 and #94 may not be ready to play on the offensive line, or they may not even be good at it, but at most schools you would already have some idea of what they could do. Likewise #22 and #26 look like good athletes on offense and I would think that would translate into someting on defense. I've only seen #10 play quarterback, so I don't know if likes to hit or not. As for #16, he's a cornerback who's out right now with a knee injury but made some nice catches in the passing league as a slot receiver.

I don't think it's up to Hanson to get on the field, it's up to the coaches to get him there. Again, he showed really good hands and speed in the spring and in the passing league so I would be playing him both ways.

As far as kids being given a choice about where they play, I disagree with that. I think most were assigned to a position, but since the coaches know a lot more about these kids than I do I assume a bunch of them are at positions they would have chosen anyway.

As for me, I just want to see Powell win and it doesn't matter if they play 11, 22, 55 or all 100+ to do it. The bottom line is getting everything out of the team you can. How to get there is up to the coaches.

As far as it goes I haven't seen Drummer shy away from contact as a receiver, so that's what I was basing that on. It's always been my experience that if you don't mind getting hit, you'll probably not mind hitting someone else.

As for the others this is my point: New players at most schools don't learn one side of the ball and then the other. If they can play, they are given an opportunity on offense and defense. Again, this is not to say what Powell is doing is wrong, it's just different. #91 and #94 may not be ready to play on the offensive line, or they may not even be good at it, but at most schools you would already have some idea of what they could do. Likewise #22 and #26 look like good athletes on offense and I would think that would translate into someting on defense. I've only seen #10 play quarterback, so I don't know if likes to hit or not. As for #16, he's a cornerback who's out right now with a knee injury but made some nice catches in the passing league as a slot receiver.

I don't think it's up to Hanson to get on the field, it's up to the coaches to get him there. Again, he showed really good hands and speed in the spring and in the passing league so I would be playing him both ways.

As far as kids being given a choice about where they play, I disagree with that. I think most were assigned to a position, but since the coaches know a lot more about these kids than I do I assume a bunch of them are at positions they would have chosen anyway.

As for me, I just want to see Powell win and it doesn't matter if they play 11, 22, 55 or all 100+ to do it. The bottom line is getting everything out of the team you can. How to get there is up to the coaches.

Trust me... Hanson needs more work on offense before he sees the field there....

Powell kids are given a choice... Trust me again... I know this.

anyways... debate over...

/topic.

Whats it going to take to beat Fulton Thursday Night?

Amen on the rezoning. Halls was not affected this time like the Gibbs/Halls line redraw a few years back, but the north is commonly impacted negatively by the west.

On the two-platoon...It is not a true two plattoon where each player only learns one position like in college. I mean when Halls scrimmaged CAK, the QB's wore different color jersies. Some of those blue jersies played some defense. Do players learn positions on both sides of the ball? I would assume that they do. A first team defensive lineman might be the 2nd or 3rd team offensive guard, right?

You are correct.......

Trust me... Hanson needs more work on offense before he sees the field there....

Powell kids are given a choice... Trust me again... I know this.

anyways... debate over...

/topic.

Whats it going to take to beat Fulton Thursday Night?

IMHO, a much better defensive effort than what has been displayed in other scrimmages and jamboree. LB's are not meeting the ball carrier at the LOS, but rather catching them 5 yards deep or deeper, be more aggressive. Offensive line must grow up in a hurry and learn to at least get run over slowly, maybe tighten the gaps a bit. QB/Receivers should be able to complete some passes if QB isn't running for his life, Fulton is typically big, strong, and fast along the DL. If we can't slow them down at the LOS, try some screen passes.

IMHO, a much better defensive effort than what has been displayed in other scrimmages and jamboree. LB's are not meeting the ball carrier at the LOS, but rather catching them 5 yards deep or deeper, be more aggressive. Offensive line must grow up in a hurry and learn to at least get run over slowly, maybe tighten the gaps a bit. QB/Receivers should be able to complete some passes if QB isn't running for his life, Fulton is typically big, strong, and fast along the DL. If we can't slow them down at the LOS, try some screen passes.

I agree with alot of your points... Good JOb!! I think the LineBackers and the O-Linemen are soft... If these guys toughin up... the results could be alot better....

Are you saying that Powell's OL is soft or Oak Ridge?

The Thread title is Powell Panther bro... Where the heck did you get Oak Ridge... /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

The Thread title is Powell Panther bro... Where the heck did you get Oak Ridge... /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

I am very suprised right now, Powell Put a hurtin on Fulton tonight!

Congrats PHS!