TSSAA to enforce restraining line rule

mcsportswriter

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

scramble after the play to find a hole to shoot from, and in many instances between the length of the box I find it almost impossible to shoot good pictures from the line of scrimmage because the coaches get in the way, moving around all the time

A couple of thoughts - First, what in the heck are you doing in the team box with the coaches and players anyway? That space has always been off limits to all but team and game administration people. And, if this doesn't work, why has it worked at the college and professional level for years? You do not see anyone in that two-yard belt, period, at a college game.

Sorry, but you are wrong on this one. They are trying to promote safety, and prevent lawsuits.

Did you now your chain crew also has to work on the restraining line. I hear you about too many people shooting. I think only those people with official media passes should be allowed to shoot photos. I will manage, I was only looking for other people's opinion.

As a somtimes chain gang member, we have been told during this years scrimmages, we will be 1-2 feet off the sidelines, not the 6 feet (2yd restraining lines).

Why?

If a line judge sets his foot on the sideline to mark the spot, we could be off alot if we're 6 feet away. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

First of all, if you are in the chain crew, it will be the linesman that will be marking the spot for the chain crew. And when he marks the spot, the chain crew should be on the sideline to get the mark for the chain, then set the clip so that the clip will be on the proper yard line in case a measurement is needed. Once the chain crew gets the proper spot they are supposed to back off of the sideline 2 yards so that they will not be on the field. They are mearly there for a reference and as long as the clip is on the proper yard line and the down indicator box is near the spot of the football, all is well.

Since I had to deal with this a little during the Sequatchie Valley Jamboree I'll address it too. I have no problem with the line being enforced. Many are right, you can't go to a college game and shoot any closer...except places like Sewanee and Maryville and even those may have changed since the last time I shot there.

However, I have a real problem with newbie refs (who are in training mode and only being allowed to run the chains at the jamboree) acting all big and bad and threatening to throw media out. You just got the shirt and the whistle don't let all the power go to your head. Especially when I've been doing this for 18 years and several of the veteran refs are friends of mine.....and the White Hat on the field is a GOOD friend of mine. If anybody was going to toss me it would have to have been Larry cause I'm not leaving for a newbie with an ego. PLUS I wasn't inside the box when he threatened to toss me. Dude must have some serious ego issues.

Several are right about too many trying to take pictures. It should be restricted to a reasonable amount. I can only think of 3 to 4 photographers (still cameras) that should be on any sideline. 1. Local newspaper for school. 2. Regional big paper like the Times Free Press. 3. Student photographer for yearbook. 4. Studio photographer like Lifetouch that's also shooting for the school yearbook.

A good lens will get you what you need just as easy from 6 feet back as it will right on the sideline. But those aren't cheap. The ones you see on the college sidelines run around $10,000 just for the lens. I've got a $2,000 one that I got last year and it does the trick very well.

Anybody who's been around a while will be in and out of their own team's area if they have a good relationship with their team. You hang out in there for a little bit getting the shots you need and then you'll move back out to the outside areas to get clear shots of the action.

The vast majority of refs I deal with are very gracious to the media. We understand they have a job and they understand we have a job. Usually everyone takes care of each other. I expect this to continue. However I will keep a copy of the rule with me so that when I run into one of those big egos I can be sure we're on the same page about what it says. The guy that gave me grief last week said he was really supposed to make me stand 6 feet behind the dotted restraining line. Clueless. If I'm following the rules and some nut tosses me I will file a lawsuit for restricting commerce against the ref individually and all others possible. You cannot restrict commerce as a state agency. If I'm following the rules and followed the process to be there I have every right to be on the sidelines shooting for my paper and my site.

DL.

First of all, if you are in the chain crew, it will be the linesman that will be marking the spot for the chain crew. And when he marks the spot, the chain crew should be on the sideline to get the mark for the chain, then set the clip so that the clip will be on the proper yard line in case a measurement is needed. Once the chain crew gets the proper spot they are supposed to back off of the sideline 2 yards so that they will not be on the field. They are mearly there for a reference and as long as the clip is on the proper yard line and the down indicator box is near the spot of the football, all is well.

2 yds? 6 feet? Are you serious.

I've been to several high school fields that if the chain crew is 6' off the sidelines, the players on the sidelines will be sitting with the band. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Over the years I held a TV camera shooting at games from every level from 5-year old kids playing t-ball to having my own personal on the sideline footage of the Music City Miracle at the then Coliseum in Nashville. As Del said, most refs at all levels have a mutual respect for the cameramen/women, but the problems (Neyland Stadium comes to mind) happen when those who aren't on the sideline in a WORKING capacity are allowed in the area.

I distinctly remember working a UT-UK football game in 1998 (John Ward's final game at Neyland and the last regular season game before the national championship) where I was unable to make it through a wall of hangers-on to get to a spot to get video of the game. At the time I was assigned to go from end zone to end zone to get the best angles of both teams. I eventually gave up and stayed in one place (which wasn't hard given UT's dominance that day).

As far as the new 6-foot rule goes I completely agree that it's a right move. As with all rules involving PRIVILEGES and not rights, if you don't like the rule, you can choose to not participate in the activity that has the rules. This is also known as the "My Yard, My Ball, My Rules" clause of the unofficial constitution of sports.

Great rule - deal with it or go buy a better camera and film from the stands. Photo jocks don't need to be near the playing field anyway.

So no media should be near the field? If that's what you mean then do you think that no pictures should be in the papers? No footage on TV?

What are you trying to say??

And just out of curiosity are you a coach, player, fan or ref?

DL /unsure.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":unsure:" border="0" alt="unsure.gif" />

Since I had to deal with this a little during the Sequatchie Valley Jamboree I'll address it too. I have no problem with the line being enforced. Many are right, you can't go to a college game and shoot any closer...except places like Sewanee and Maryville and even those may have changed since the last time I shot there.

However, I have a real problem with newbie refs (who are in training mode and only being allowed to run the chains at the jamboree) acting all big and bad and threatening to throw media out. You just got the shirt and the whistle don't let all the power go to your head. Especially when I've been doing this for 18 years and several of the veteran refs are friends of mine.....and the White Hat on the field is a GOOD friend of mine. If anybody was going to toss me it would have to have been Larry cause I'm not leaving for a newbie with an ego. PLUS I wasn't inside the box when he threatened to toss me. Dude must have some serious ego issues.

Anybody who's been around a while will be in and out of their own team's ar if they have a good relationship with their team. You hang out in there for a little bit getting the shots you need and then you'll move back out to the outside areas to get clear shots of the action.

The vast majority of refs I deal with are very gracious to the media. We understand they have a job and they understand we have a job. Usually everyone takes care of each other. I expect this to continue. However I will keep a copy of the rule with me so that when I run into one of those big egos I can be sure we're on the same page about what it says. The guy that gave me grief last week said he was really supposed to make me stand 6 feet behind the dotted restraining line. Clueless. If I'm following the rules and some nut tosses me I will file a lawsuit for restricting commerce against the ref individually and all others possible. You cannot restrict commerce as a state agency. If I'm following the rules and followed the process to be there I have every right to be on the sidelines shooting for my paper and my site.

DL.

Getting the media back is supposed to be done by game administration (AD, security people) not the officials. If someone is inside the 2 yd restraining line, that's who needs to get them out. If the game officials need someone removed, after a polite request by the official, game administration should take over and move them out. Unfortunately, for years, the game administration people have been lax.

And you mention being within the team area. That's been a no-no for years, and I can't believe many coaches would put up with photographers there.

I see you are threating a lawsuit and alleging a "restriction of commerce" by the ref. (And who is the "state agency" involved here?) Good luck. For discussion purposes, suppose School A announces, "No media people inside the fence period. Any media people who want to cover the game can buy a ticket and sit in the stands." Why would the school not be within its rights? There have been a few games (not in Tennessee) where no one, but players and coaches were alllowed, due to threats of violence, measles epidemics, etc. Did the media have a right to be there? I don't think so.

Speaking of lawsuits, a photographer strays inside the line and gets creamed, he'll probably sue the ref, the AD, the home team, and anyone else he thinks of. There's a case in the Texas courts now when a coach who was outside his area (Texas uses NCAA playing rules which are a little different) was run over and suffered permanent injuries. He sued the officials for not enforcing the rule! (Actually, I think it was his insurance carrier that forced him to sue.)

The line extends all the way around the field, including end zones. For a gross violation of the rule, see this pic from a jamboree:

http://www.shutterfly.com/progal/slideshow...5f5e&idx=87

/sad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> /ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

The line extends all the way around the field, including end zones. For a gross violation of the rule, see this pic from a jamboree:

http://www.shutterfly.com/progal/slideshow...5f5e&idx=87

/sad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> /ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

1. There are probably plenty more shots like that from both endzones. If you'll notice what you see there are players, coaches and I know there are plenty of principals and refs right there at the other endzone as well. I remember at least once seeing a group of refs right at the goal post on the other end that night. So as you can see it was only enforced in certain areas.

2. I'm really confused at why some in here seem to have this attitude with the media. It seems some in here think the media doesn't belong anywhere around. So again I ask do we not want pictures in the paper and footage on TV? I'm pretty sure the kids do and it's about the kids. Not about the media, nor the refs, nor the coaches. It's about the kids.

3. If I'm ejected when I was following the rule you can bet $$ I'm calling a lawyer. The first time the man said something to me I was inside the line. As a matter of fact I was talking to a long time official who wasn't working the game and we were both inside the line. He told us to move and the official I was talking to began to explain the emphasis on the the rule this year. The second time the ref said something to me threating to put me out I was NOT inside the box. My toes may have been on the outside edge of the dotted line but they weren't went I looked down. So the tone and actions of the newbie ref were uncalled for.

4. The media has to move through that team area every time they change ends of the field. Again if they have a good relationship with the coaches and team and don't provide a problem distraction they're going to linger sometimes and take pictures in that area. Not of field action but of coaches talking to players, etc. If the media person presents a problem and the coach says move or stay out they should move or stay out except for passing through to go to the other end. I have never caused a problem back there and have always followed any request made to me by a coach. I will continue to do so.

5. The coach that wasn't in the box shouldn't have the right to sue.....but obviously he does have that right. So what makes you think I don't have the right if I'm following the rules and run into a ref like I did the other night that had no clue about what he was doing. If I was in the box and got hurt I shouldn't have the right to sue. (However keep in mind I have no desire to get run over and tear up my camera gear or my body! I keep my eyes open and get out of the way as fast as my short fat legs will go.)

6. If the TSSAA, refs and schools don't want the media at the games then why don't we just make that ruling and get it over with. Then the papers can just run NASCAR results and the TV can just run NFL highlights.

7. I don't believe the TSSAA, the schools and the vast majority of refs want the media gone. I believe they're just trying to make a good rule so no one gets hurt. If everyone follows the rule all should be fine. However let's all be clear about what "inside the box" means and treat each other with respect while we do our jobs to protect and promote the game for THE KIDS.

DL.