Bob Knight

just1np

Since when have coaches been rated at how good or entertaining they are as speakers? I honestly don't think Bob Knight could care less what anyone thinks of him as a speaker. You seem to think coaches have to be great speakers. Listen Bob Knight didn't make a name for himself as a standup speaker. He made a name for himself by taking groups of young people and trying to teach them to be men of the highest standards on the court, in the classroom, and in life in general. It's called tough love 101. I (as you) sometimes wish he could clean up his language, but my butt is not on the line if his team don't get the job done. I respect Coach Knight for the hard work he does to make kids productive citizens. Most people including Educators have said, "What's the use". I don't agree with some of the ways he goes about things, but I applaud him for the end result he is trying to achieve and the young men who have been bettered by going to Army, Indiana, and Texas Tech. Which is worse? Trying to mold kids into better people and make a few mistakes or just use the kids while their there and see them later after they leave. (Not Graduate) We as Educators need to go back to being concerned about these young people in the long run and make some tough decisions for society and the kids sake. Bob Knight has made mistakes as we all have, but it is not caused by a lack of effort toward a good cause.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if you asked either who in their lives had helped them to be sucessful in coaching and they would say Bob Knight. He probably feels betrayed by the Indiana basketball family and with good cause. He spent most of his adult life making a name for this state and its basketball program. I honestly don't think anyone would have even attempted to make the movie Hoosiers without the success of Bob Knight at Indiana. He feels there is more to coaching than basketball. I have saw posts of yours that seem to send a message that you had a bad experience with an AAU program. You seem to think they did you or your brother wrong and hope they lose. Do you go out of your way to have friendly discussions with the people involved? This may be similar to the Knight situation. No one can deny that Bob Knoght built a great basketball program at Indiana University. Steve Alford is in coaching at a Major University in part because he played and excelled at Indiana University. Mike Davis is coach at Indiana University because he was given an opportunity to be an Assistant at Indiana by Bob Knight. I was not aware of the hostility between these coaches. Knight is a competitor and he has never liked the opposition. I also think it is professional courtesy to Davis to keep a very low profile toward him and stay away form his situation. I don't think that either would want to be perceived as buddies at this point.

So you are telling me that Steve Alford and Mike Davis are glad Knight doesn't call and congratulate them? Knight doesn't shake Alford's hand?

I'm not saying it isn't tough to congratulate them, but you can still do it...Look at George O'Leary, left a good job at G. Tech, went to Notre Dame, Got asked to leave...now he is working under his former high school player, thats right HIGH SCHOOL PLAYER...Mike Tice...That seems a lot harder to do then to shake a mans hand, who you helped raise and are generally regarded as a better coach then him.

As far as the basketball thing, I don't wish the program, coaches, or kids ill will. I am mad that they cheat and allow a 16 year old to play 14s...the kids teammate even admitted it right on this board! I don't get on here and say my former AAU team, or my brothers former AAU team beat the teams in question, although I could, I also don't get on here and say that the team isn't very good, or stinks, or doesn't deserve to go to the nationals. Just admit that Knight is in the wrong about Davis and Alford...I don't think he talks to Coach K at Duke, but I'm not 100% on that...I admit Knight is a good coach, but he seems to be a jerk in person, and doesn't conduct himself in a manner that is consistent with someone who is old enough to be my grandfather.

Wouldn't you have a problem with someone who helped raise you, like a coach or teacher who refuses to give you congratulations or credit for something you earned? Would you feel sad if a son or daughter of yours made a basketball or baseball team but didn't thank you for teaching them? I'm sorry but I don't think its asking too much for a nice word of praise or congratulations sometimes.

Ego, I don't disagree with the point you are trying to make, but do any of us really know the entire situation, or the true feelings of the men involved?

I don't know anything about the Alford situation. The only thing I have heard about Davis was concerning the testimony he(Davis) gave in court saying that Knight was a "bully". I think that really made him feel betrayed. Wouldn't you? Even if he does have that "bully" attitude, he projects that attitude on everyone, not just Davis.

I think it was a tough situation all the way around. I would have liked to hear that Knight had called and congratulated Davis and the team this past March and April, but he had his reasons, whatever they were. I'm not going to let one situation determine my thoughts and feelings about someone who has been doing a lot of good in his feild for over thirty years.

One of the best coaches in the game today. His players walk the line or they don't play. Need more old school coaches like him today and maybe we would have better fundamental basketball games played and also, maybe kids today would not turn out to be bad example setters if they do make it to college or the pros{ex. Iverson, Rodman, Sprewell just to name a few}.

Knight is selfish- Period. Its all about him and him only. He is a liar. He has made comments and done the most ludicrous things only to lie and disclaim he had done that or to fabricate and turn the topic on the press and cry instead of having the GUTS to stand behind his embarrassing actions. There has been influx of transfers from Indiana over the decades of some of Indiana's native sons who Knight created turmoil on because of selfish ways. He has a successful track record, but all in all Indiana basketball is better off wihtout him as is the Big Ten. You see, Knights EGO is not for the better of the kids he coaches, the school he represents, or the fans that show up, its about him and his SHOW. If anyone gets in the way of this destructive behavior then KNight will try and destroy you as he has to young players, the university of Indiana, and other people involved. Indiana's gain, Texas Tech's loss.