Obion Central vs Jackson South Side

obionpower1

Seeing as OC is a predominantly passing team, the rushing numbers are gonna show a mismatch. OC was still in the game at the point of the interception. SS scored on a 85 yard TD run after OC turned the ball over when they had first and goal from the two and first and goal from the seven when the aforementioned INT happened. If OC scores TD's instead of turnovers this game was much closer. Like I said before good teams take advantage of those mistakes and that's what the Hawk's did. Fortunately everything OC did wrong in this game can be fixed.

No disrespect.....But this game could be played 10 times and the outcome would be about the same as the first time (Every game) or maybe even worse for OC.

Remember this was Jackson SS first game as well. The OC coach stated that he was at the Jamboree at SS scouting and that would be one of the advantages OC would have over SS going into the game, becuase SS knew nothing about OC. It wasn't much of an advantage in my opinion. When a team gets hammered 357 to 44 yards on the ground and the final score is 43 to 14 that is a what you call a total mismatch. Did it ever occur to you that SS works on creating turnovers and that it was most likey SS players and schemes that may have caused the TO's instead of mistakes on OC's part. Like I said no disrespect to OC but to say this game was alot closer or that OC could actullay compete with SS is kinda missleading. Again, this was SS first game as well. Jackson SS ain't no slocuh and most every season fields a very good team. I wish OC luck this season..... I'm just saying the gap between these two teams is VERY WIDE. As far as the rushing numbers showing a mismatch because OC likes to throw the ball...keep this in mind...the mismatch is beacuse SS hamered out 357 yards on the ground to 44 for OC and that has nothing to do with OC's offense.....it has evetything to do with OC's defense. I think OC was held to slightly over 100 yards passing (or something like that) so it would appear to me that SS defense pretty much dominated this game. Good teams not only take advantage of mistakes they also force a team into making mistakes. That is exacly what happend in this game. As a matter of fact if I were a betting man I would say SS probably even held back a little in this game. Football is a game about play makers...SS had the play makers and OC didn't..it's that simple.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yankee-

No one is disputing that SS would probably win all 10 games if we played 9 more times. The loss isn't the point. We in OC know that SS had the athletes Friday night and made the plays. Yes, SS's defense did create some of the turnovers. We know that. BUt our team is not the same one that walked off the field at the end of last season.....

The point is that if you had seen us play last year(and this is no disrespect to Coach Driggers).....mercy-ruled 7 times.....never scored more than 14 points in a game.....outscored for the year 485-65.....you would see that there were several positives to take from the game that were not present in the last campaign. A couple of long receptions and some nice kickoff returns showed us that we are more competitive this year than last year. A couple of 3-&-outs on defense were huge in building some confidence. With where this program's been over the past couple of years, we're trying to walk before we run.

As far as the game was closer than the score indicates is because we turned the ball over 2 times inside the 10-yard line (one of those being an interception returned 85 yards for a TD) which would have allowed OC to hang around a little longer. Would those scores have made a difference in the game? Who knows? SS took advantage of their opportunities and executed their game plan better, and that's why they won the game. Those growing pains can be expected of a team that hasnt had much successs in a while (only a handful of this year's seniors played as sophomores in '06 when we finished 6-4), is very inexperienced, and was playing in their first game. Not at all that I'm making excuses.... Give OC a couple of games to grow into the offense and work out some kinks in the defense. Whether it shows in W-L, this team will improve. Maybe we'll even shock some people.

Yankee-

No one is disputing that SS would probably win all 10 games if we played 9 more times. The loss isn't the point. We in OC know that SS had the athletes Friday night and made the plays. Yes, SS's defense did create some of the turnovers. We know that. BUt our team is not the same one that walked off the field at the end of last season.....

The point is that if you had seen us play last year(and this is no disrespect to Coach Driggers).....mercy-ruled 7 times.....never scored more than 14 points in a game.....outscored for the year 485-65.....you would see that there were several positives to take from the game that were not present in the last campaign. A couple of long receptions and some nice kickoff returns showed us that we are more competitive this year than last year. A couple of 3-&-outs on defense were huge in building some confidence. With where this program's been over the past couple of years, we're trying to walk before we run.

As far as the game was closer than the score indicates is because we turned the ball over 2 times inside the 10-yard line (one of those being an interception returned 85 yards for a TD) which would have allowed OC to hang around a little longer. Would those scores have made a difference in the game? Who knows? SS took advantage of their opportunities and executed their game plan better, and that's why they won the game. Those growing pains can be expected of a team that hasnt had much successs in a while (only a handful of this year's seniors played as sophomores in '06 when we finished 6-4), is very inexperienced, and was playing in their first game. Not at all that I'm making excuses.... Give OC a couple of games to grow into the offense and work out some kinks in the defense. Whether it shows in W-L, this team will improve. Maybe we'll even shock some people.

Good point and Good Luck this season. It just seemed some didn't want to give SS credit and was looking for excuses. I do understand where you coming from. Again, good luck and I hope your team turns the corner this season.