Greenbrier Volleyball

KillJoy

I think it is extremely funny that Page was initially chosen to beat Greenbrier at State. I have been a spectator for several years and think that Greenbrier hasn't truly been given the respect it deserves. I know eyes are on the triple A schools but Greenbrier literally just got on the radar 2 years ago, going out in the semi- finals, to winning the whole enchilada last year. A lot of our success can be credited to the Arnold girls, who are in their final years as a Bobcat. There are girls with major talent on the team like Nina Devers and Jennifer Holbert. We graduated some great players but in their places are tremendous talents who have their own legacies to write. The coach needs a little tweaking. She never could get it that the setter had to get the ball to the hitters instead of the big hitters running around, scooching down, turning flips, walking on water, and so on just to get the spike. Our new setter has poise, and likeable attitudes. This team has everything it takes to be a state champ again.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is extremely funny that Page was initially chosen to beat Greenbrier at State. I have been a spectator for several years and think that Greenbrier hasn't truly been given the respect it deserves. I know eyes are on the triple A schools but Greenbrier literally just got on the radar 2 years ago, going out in the semi- finals, to winning the whole enchilada last year. A lot of our success can be credited to the Arnold girls, who are in their final years as a Bobcat. There are girls with major talent on the team like Nina Devers and Jennifer Holbert. We graduated some great players but in their places are tremendous talents who have their own legacies to write. The coach needs a little tweaking. She never could get it that the setter had to get the ball to the hitters instead of the big hitters running around, scooching down, turning flips, walking on water, and so on just to get the spike. Our new setter has poise, and likeable attitudes. This team has everything it takes to be a state champ again.

Now,here we go. The season hasn't even started and you won a scrimmage and youve now won the state. Its great to have confidence and its great to have pride but a match that means anything has not even been played. And now you are worried about AAA when you are not even in it. If Greenbrier is trying to win AAA, change clsasifications and got out of the District you are in. They will let you play in 11AAA where every night almost is a District, regional or State Tournament matchup. Do you have that in the District you are in? Wht's going to happen with an injury or two? Are you still there. Last time I checked there are three championships. If you are not happy with your coach, I can name 7-8 Schools that will take her in a minute or less if she wants. If anyone at Greenbrier thinks they can be where they are today with less of a coach, they are dillusional. Your last statement, I hope puts this whole thing to bed. This team, today, has a lot of every thing it takes to be a state champ but they haven't done it yet and there still are some holes in the play. How about getting a match with GPS, Anderson, Some of the AA Chattanooga teams. Some of the fans at Greenbrier must think they have played a season already. Last account, the curtain hasn't even been parted. There has been some glimmers and some players have played great But there is probably a coach somewhere that looked at PM's stats of the match and will have seen what has to be done and it will come at you every match with the same plan. What you do have though is a very good coach who seems to roll with the punches and can react to the moves. That's your advantage right now. I'm sure she will leave all of this AAA bluster to someone else and the rest will tell you to get in a District that more fits your talent. 14-0 in your district means nothing. They won't even post their playday results to see how they stand. Your team, right now, is the Arnold Twins and for a few matches all have seen, a up and coming great setter in Jennifer Holbert. No other players yet can carry the School without them. Will they during the year? maybe so or maybe not. If you had posted this the first of October and your record against teams out side of your District was clear, its a different subject.

Sorry to come at a first time poster like this but its the second time now it has happened and Greenbrier, give it a little time. Congrats for becoming a member and we are pleased to have someone with the knowledge of the spoort as you evidently do.

First, I want to welcome you, catsfan20, to the volleyball board as I always enjoy reading what Greenbrier fans say. Greenbrier has my respect and any pre-season predictions by newspaper reporters or others are to be taken with a grain of salt. Greenbrier was indeed flying under the radar a couple of years ago, but now they are the defending A-AA champs and should have the respect of everyone. They have some upcoming matches against AAA teams where they will show how strong they are. Coach Renee Dorris has some good players to work with and I'm sure they will contend to the state title again this year.

Now,here we go. The season hasn't even started and you won a scrimmage and youve now won the state. Its great to have confidence and its great to have pride but a match that means anything has not even been played. And now you are worried about AAA when you are not even in it. If Greenbrier is trying to win AAA, change clsasifications and got out of the District you are in. They will let you play in 11AAA where every night almost is a District, regional or State Tournament matchup. Do you have that in the District you are in? Wht's going to happen with an injury or two? Are you still there. Last time I checked there are three championships. If you are not happy with your coach, I can name 7-8 Schools that will take her in a minute or less if she wants. If anyone at Greenbrier thinks they can be where they are today with less of a coach, they are dillusional. Your last statement, I hope puts this whole thing to bed. This team, today, has a lot of every thing it takes to be a state champ but they haven't done it yet and there still are some holes in the play. How about getting a match with GPS, Anderson, Some of the AA Chattanooga teams. Some of the fans at Greenbrier must think they have played a season already. Last account, the curtain hasn't even been parted. There has been some glimmers and some players have played great But there is probably a coach somewhere that looked at PM's stats of the match and will have seen what has to be done and it will come at you every match with the same plan. What you do have though is a very good coach who seems to roll with the punches and can react to the moves. That's your advantage right now. I'm sure she will leave all of this AAA bluster to someone else and the rest will tell you to get in a District that more fits your talent. 14-0 in your district means nothing. They won't even post their playday results to see how they stand. Your team, right now, is the Arnold Twins and for a few matches all have seen, a up and coming great setter in Jennifer Holbert. No other players yet can carry the School without them. Will they during the year? maybe so or maybe not. If you had posted this the first of October and your record against teams out side of your District was clear, its a different subject.

Sorry to come at a first time poster like this but its the second time now it has happened and Greenbrier, give it a little time. Congrats for becoming a member and we are pleased to have someone with the knowledge of the spoort as you evidently do.

I have read your posts for some time now and have a great appreciation of your knowledge and dedication to this sport. I think you have missed your calling and could write a book on this subject. One good idea separates the millionaires and the rest of us. However, you missed my point. I am not worried about AAA, I just feel like more credence is given to them being larger in size. In most papers, they usually snag the pictures and the large writing, we get a corner cut out of the page, and this is said with a smile. We do usually have a slightly weaker district, which is why tournament play days are so important. To talk to the parents of these girls, they thrive on trying to compete at a higher level of play, to get them ready to face regions and higher. These girls have to overcome small town bias and connections and stay above the fray. Some of the players are coddled, depending on who their parents are, while others are expected to take everything on the chin. I've been around, too long possibly, to watch unexpected good athletes have to hack their way to the top, play hard to maintain a strong position, while others are automatically put in to positions and never challenged in their spot, even when their play is weak. So all in all, there is some strong mental determination in these kids. I am not bragging prematurely, just sending the message that we're here and we're hungry, and there is life after some left over hype, no names necessary

Great job! I thought all along that Greenbrier was the team to beat, this just proves it. I like what you said about the coach needs a little "tweaking." Great athletes really don't need that much coaching. I think the coach gets in the way. The better teams almost seem to "coach" themselves. Some of these high school coaches want all of the attention.

How hard is it to set the ball to the best hitter and let her get a kill.

I thought Greenbriers only mistake last year was not getting the better of the two sisters the ball MORE last year. She was unstoppable! Which of the Arnold sisters was the MVP?

I could coach that girl. Lets see, hmmm....., okay here is our plan we are going to set her the ball and get out of the way. Catsfan, this may be the best post I have ever read. It is about time that the athletes get the credit, and not some of these "coaches."

I wish it was more about the girls!!!

20, this poster wants the fans at Greenbrier to understand what is involved here. What is stake is history in AA VB for a school to go back to back State championships and it is counterproductive for the fans how well meaning and enthusiastic they are. No one has to explain Greenbrier. You are posting to yourselves. I will say this if any of this posting takes a small amount of hunger out of your Schools team it is not worth it. You have players that have to get better. Now KC, your thoughts are respected but Greenbrier High School is your schools name and your Coach has put together the players on your team and coaches your team. Yes, she had the sense to select some great players but she does run the team, motivates the team and if it loses she is looked at to accept most of the responsibility. However she is the director and she will give cudos to every player who deserves it I'm sure. And next year with a new group of players she will start again and the next year again, and the nest year again. She picks and directs and they play. Thats the definition of a coach. You now have your roster posted on T. A great fan from Page High school did it. Someone from Greenbrier should have done it. Pageman felt he should do it because he felt the urgency of the fans. Maybe you are right, assign the coach something else to do and tell the girls to go to the gym and buy their own equipment, condition themselves and work out schedules, post rosters on T, post schedules on TSSAA, work out with other schools the details of scheduling, work out a starting lineup, take care of all the personal problems of chemistry with the team( and Greenbrier doesn't have a problem with that), get the bills paid, try to satisfy the fans and parents on why their kids don't play and why their playing time is down and why a setter does not set right( that happens on every team that fields a team). And then, with all respect, they are going to be directed to call you when all of this choas hits the fan and tell you to direct the team. Now its in your court and you are the setter. Are are you just going to let the team do just what they want or is the problem something else? Is someone else wanting to coach? Can't have two coaches or can you and then what is productive. What is astounding to this poster is that the players are playing and all of coaches are coaching and where is all of this gobbyly gook coming from? There is where you will find the implosion.

20, this poster wants the fans at Greenbrier to understand what is involved here. What is stake is history in AA VB for a school to go back to back State championships and it is counterproductive for the fans how well meaning and enthusiastic they are. No one has to explain Greenbrier. You are posting to yourselves. I will say this if any of this posting takes a small amount of hunger out of your Schools team it is not worth it. You have players that have to get better. Now KC, your thoughts are respected but Greenbrier High School is your schools name and your Coach has put together the players on your team and coaches your team. Yes, she had the sense to select some great players but she does run the team, motivates the team and if it loses she is looked at to accept most of the responsibility. However she is the director and she will give cudos to every player who deserves it I'm sure. And next year with a new group of players she will start again and the next year again, and the nest year again. She picks and directs and they play. Thats the definition of a coach. You now have your roster posted on T. A great fan from Page High school did it. Someone from Greenbrier should have done it. Pageman felt he should do it because he felt the urgency of the fans. Maybe you are right, assign the coach something else to do and tell the girls to go to the gym and buy their own equipment, condition themselves and work out schedules, post rosters on T, post schedules on TSSAA, work out with other schools the details of scheduling, work out a starting lineup, take care of all the personal problems of chemistry with the team( and Greenbrier doesn't have a problem with that), get the bills paid, try to satisfy the fans and parents on why their kids don't play and why their playing time is down and why a setter does not set right( that happens on every team that fields a team). And then, with all respect, they are going to be directed to call you when all of this choas hits the fan and tell you to direct the team. Now its in your court and you are the setter. Are are you just going to let the team do just what they want or is the problem something else? Is someone else wanting to coach? Can't have two coaches or can you and then what is productive. What is astounding to this poster is that the players are playing and all of coaches are coaching and where is all of this gobbyly gook coming from? There is where you will find the implosion.

First, let me just say I have no child involved. I don't feel slighted and I don't have any bad blood or underlying, unresolved issues. I did name this forum "Greenbrier volleyball", so obviously, it's Greenbrier we are talking about. There is truly no way you can speak to this issue. Sure, you can generalize with another long speech, and I do agree with some things you said. As for the coach raising funds, the parents and the girls can be thanked for that. As far as team chemistry goes, it works alot better when the coach gets biased particulars out of the way and lets the girls develop their own. It is pretty easy as a coach to inherit a team that was primed and ready with talent 2 years ago. By last year, half had played club ball. This team would be every coach's dream as far as hunger, grit, determination and talent. To answer KCmama, Kayla Arnold was MVP. Her sister, Kaysi, has just as many awards. Together, they are pretty darn awesome. They are not alone, it takes a team to win the whole thing, plenty of back row digging from some lesser known names, but all heart. I don't know exactly where you hail from Phargis, and please, don't take this the wrong way but, do you have an opinion about EVERYTHING? You sometimes come across as condescending, and I don't know if my type wires are getting crossed or you are really that way

First, let me just say I have no child involved. I don't feel slighted and I don't have any bad blood or underlying, unresolved issues. I did name this forum "Greenbrier volleyball", so obviously, it's Greenbrier we are talking about. There is truly no way you can speak to this issue. Sure, you can generalize with another long speech, and I do agree with some things you said. As for the coach raising funds, the parents and the girls can be thanked for that. As far as team chemistry goes, it works alot better when the coach gets biased particulars out of the way and lets the girls develop their own. It is pretty easy as a coach to inherit a team that was primed and ready with talent 2 years ago. By last year, half had played club ball. This team would be every coach's dream as far as hunger, grit, determination and talent. To answer KCmama, Kayla Arnold was MVP. Her sister, Kaysi, has just as many awards. Together, they are pretty darn awesome. They are not alone, it takes a team to win the whole thing, plenty of back row digging from some lesser known names, but all heart. I don't know exactly where you hail from Phargis, and please, don't take this the wrong way but, do you have an opinion about EVERYTHING? You sometimes come across as condescending, and I don't know if my type wires are getting crossed or you are really that way

Appreciate your comment and criticism. Likely the Greenbrier posts may seem like that and I plead guilty. However, Greenbrier is a Middle Tennesse school in a small town with a lot of pride. it is a great town who this poster has a great deal of respect for but if they not careful they will blow a chance to make history.. Look at the schools that have repeated winning the State. There are not that many.

The second thing is this, all of this hype is about college recruiting and for a poster to get on this site with recruiters watching and reading these posts, why is a recruiter going to be interested in players when their fans think coaches are not needed. It might not give the right impression. So condesending sometimes, it is not but it may seem so. Most of the posts from this poster is pro player and with verifying stats. However there is a misconception of the coaches, who execute where everyone can see it and take what is given without someone not knowing the full story. Directing Play is not the only thing a coach does yet to pick out one thing is not exactly correct when play did not allow execution by the player who was not at fault either. Sorry for the long explanation and I can assure you I will do better and take your thoughts as corrective advice.

After reading your response to my post again, I feel this edit is necessary. Except for Ravenwood, I have seen Greenbrier play quite a bit. In fact last year and this year I have followed Greenbrier, not on purpose, but attending matches and the State. I knew of them and with people I associate with know as much about them as any other. I watch your coach very carefully and talk to fans about your coach and they are very complimentary. I have never talked to anyone that did not say good things about her. She is very professional. Your players are great players and if you think they are the property of Greenbrier, they are not. You have placed them in a position with their play and your wanting them to have exposure, that everyone knows a lot about them. They know where Holbert played in middle school and what positon she played, they have foillowed the twins everywhere and know the detail of their Club association and they watch everything they do and there are very few secrets about their play nor your team's play. After all you did win the State AA last year. There are numerous fans that know a lot about Greenbrier Volleyball. You've allowed us to see it and wanted us to know about it. Until the last of the volleyball year, everyone can post and discuss your team and it will be discussed. Agter all Coach T has 57000 posters and they know just about everything. Everytime I have discussed it I wind up apologizing to a Fan. I will not enter in to the discussion about your fine team, fine coach or fine town until around State. Your players are great, your fans are great, your student body is great and this will be a great year for you. I will continue seeing you play.

PHargis aka 11 AAA lover,

You're so full of it. You obviously have a bias towards us, but you don't have what it takes to say so. You just dance around your true feelings and your posts are most often just ramblings that make no sense. So, why don't you just take a day off, take a deep breath and relieve some pressure...of appearing you know what the heck you're talkin' about. Everybody's not great and everybody doesn't like each other. I wish it were so.

The talent we have in Greenbrier right now is pretty special...in more than one sport. However, in no way do we want to brag or say we're the best. Kaysi, Kayla, Jennifer, Rebekah, Nina and Rylee know they have to 'bring it' on the court every time out...and so does our coaching staff. There will always be naysayers, but they're usually just jealous people that have nothing better to do than get on message boards and try to fool people into thinking they know more about sports than they really do /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> . The parents (and players) of this team probably get along better than any that I've been associated with. They are realistic and aren't just about their own children. That, in itself, should take us far.

See ya around!

Well said 5 sport. There is a huge bias on this web site. Fact: During the last 3 years, without question, the best two A/AA teams have been Catholic and Greenbrier. They should have met in the finals last year. Those two teams are driven by talent, not coaches. I am not saying the coaches do a bad job, in FACT they do a good job, but they would do a GREAT job if they gave the better athletes more freedom. I agree with catsfan, how hard is to coach two teams like this that have more talent then any other school. Catholic and Greenbrier are the top two schools because they have the best talent. I know it is not the political thing to say but does anybody really think that the finals this year is NOT going to be Catholic and Greenbrier. They have the most talent, and should win. That is no slam against Page.

The coaches job is to let the talent play. If Greenbrier doesn't have Kayla Arnold, they don't win. It wouldn't matter how good their coach is. She doesn't hit the ball. This young lady is an awesome talent. She has solid teammates around her that know how to get her the ball. Same for us, take away the talent and Game Over. We lost the state championship last year and the year befoe because we were over coached. Look at the team we had and we play a new player at the state tournament, who had been ineligible all year?

Sports are driven by the talent, at every level.

At the end of the day Catholic and Greenbrier will be the best 2 teams just like it has been for the last three years.

Well said 5 sport. There is a huge bias on this web site. Fact: During the last 3 years, without question, the best two A/AA teams have been Catholic and Greenbrier. They should have met in the finals last year. Those two teams are driven by talent, not coaches. I am not saying the coaches do a bad job, in FACT they do a good job, but they would do a GREAT job if they gave the better athletes more freedom. I agree with catsfan, how hard is to coach two teams like this that have more talent then any other school. Catholic and Greenbrier are the top two schools because they have the best talent. I know it is not the political thing to say but does anybody really think that the finals this year is NOT going to be Catholic and Greenbrier. They have the most talent, and should win. That is no slam against Page.

The coaches job is to let the talent play. If Greenbrier doesn't have Kayla Arnold, they don't win. It wouldn't matter how good their coach is. She doesn't hit the ball. This young lady is an awesome talent. She has solid teammates around her that know how to get her the ball. Same for us, take away the talent and Game Over. We lost the state championship last year and the year befoe because we were over coached. Look at the team we had and we play a new player at the state tournament, who had been ineligible all year?

Sports are driven by the talent, at every level.

At the end of the day Catholic and Greenbrier will be the best 2 teams just like it has been for the last three years.

KCmama, since you are on here, your school has a KIL Tournament listed on its TSSAA schedule that we can't find the location and Do nopt have a schedule of teams listed. Could you please po.st the location and the times play begins and the teams in the Tournament. We need this by monday or tuesday if you can do that for us. thank you very much.