Greenbrier Volleyball

KillJoy

Wow...I don't have a "cat" in this fight, other than the fact that Greenbrier is my town and where my kid's have attended school. I guess I'm about as "outsider" as you can get other than the fact that I have found a new interest in volleyball since last year watching these Lady Cats. Heck, I even watched Olympic volleyball for the first time this year when it would have usually not been of interest to me.

What I can tell you is what I see of the Lady Cats is that they have pride in their team, just as I'm sure many do. I have seen the chemistry and it impresses me, but it doesn't take long to see the determination and drive in these girls. I can pass them in the hallway or at a football game and they don't show a high and mighty attitude but they do show confidence in themselves. This town's not big enough that most GHS parents don't know who the Arnold twins are, and if the other schools know them, they have certainly seen the heart these girls and all the Lady Cats play with. It just turns out that they have a target on them as state champs. Like everyone they want to win. And there's nothing wrong with that.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a "cat" of a different color (red) I disagree strongly with the previous few posts. I do not think that Greenbrier and Catholic have been the best three teams over the last three seasons. East Ridge and Anderson County were in the finals 3 years ago; Loretto and Goodpasture in the final four. Notre Dame and Catholic were in the finals two years ago, Greenbrier and Anderson County were in the final four. Last Year Anderson County and Greenbrier were in the finals, Catholic was in the final four. Certainly Greenbrier can make a claim for the best because they are state champions, but KCMama's wish for an all Green finals seems a little premature!

Wishes are ALWAYS premature, ain't they? Nothin' wrong with that! Dreams are the same way and I encourage my children to dream BIG! Just don't get too low when they don't happen and don't get too high when they do. For us lucky ones, life is a marathon that certainly has a 'finish line.' So, run the race and finish the course, and then look forward to hearing 'well done, thou good and faithful servant.'

As for volleyball, the proof will be in the pudding eventually. Our approach: One game/one match at a time. No pressure. We're (actually I'm not playin', but you know what I mean) playing 'cause it's fun. Hopefully, nobody's gonna die if we lose.

Good luck to the 'red cats,' whoever you are.

Well said 5 sport. There is a huge bias on this web site. Fact: During the last 3 years, without question, the best two A/AA teams have been Catholic and Greenbrier. They should have met in the finals last year. Those two teams are driven by talent, not coaches. I am not saying the coaches do a bad job, in FACT they do a good job, but they would do a GREAT job if they gave the better athletes more freedom. I agree with catsfan, how hard is to coach two teams like this that have more talent then any other school. Catholic and Greenbrier are the top two schools because they have the best talent. I know it is not the political thing to say but does anybody really think that the finals this year is NOT going to be Catholic and Greenbrier. They have the most talent, and should win. That is no slam against Page.

The coaches job is to let the talent play. If Greenbrier doesn't have Kayla Arnold, they don't win. It wouldn't matter how good their coach is. She doesn't hit the ball. This young lady is an awesome talent. She has solid teammates around her that know how to get her the ball. Same for us, take away the talent and Game Over. We lost the state championship last year and the year befoe because we were over coached. Look at the team we had and we play a new player at the state tournament, who had been ineligible all year?

Sports are driven by the talent, at every level.

At the end of the day Catholic and Greenbrier will be the best 2 teams just like it has been for the last three years.

KCMama, Thanks for chiming in on some same view points, but gotta ask you a slight favor. I know who alot of these screen names are in person. It is funny to see them brag on THEIR kids, lol. Actually, alot of us know who each other is. I am all about giving praise to kids, starting with others first. Now here is my favor. When you have two children, same age, same grade, TWINS, and you start singling out one over the other, it gets a little sticky. You need to understand that Kaysi(the other twin), got recognized 2 years ago as an all state tournament player. These girls are equally talented, one may have got set more often or one got paired up on the net against a stronger/weaker front line. I appreciate your opinion and compliments on the team, just as we appreciate Knox Catholic(Met your middle that graduated, awesome player). The team has had to play without key players in the past at different times, and there was always a great player waiting in the wings to get the job done. Between the two twins, they have equal awards in merit and performance. I don't know if their mom gets on Coach T, but that would be a little rough on the heart. We're not a bunch of saps here, just careful to keep egos in check and confidence to go all around. Thanks for listening, never mean to cause a problem.

Let me say, for the record, that Kaysi is 'the bomb.' She has one thing working against her that Kayla, presently, does not: tendinitis of the knees. It is painful and does affect her play. But, she is a warrior, to me. And the sweetest thing in the world. Both are great friends to my daughter and I appeciate that! They are also very respectful and loving toward one another. Each are also very supportive of the other, as hard as that may be in a competitive environment. Talk about pressure!...

I have been around them for over 5 years now and I still can't tell them apart (I know, I'm a ding-dong!), except by the numbers on their jerseys. They're both beautiful girls...inside and out, though. Good family all the way around and no matter what people want to believe, we wouldn't, and won't, be as good without them. I know it takes 6 to make a team, but there probably won't ever be a 're-loading' after the twins and I'm gonna miss the whole family next year. If there's one single thing I, personally, want to see us win State again for, it's them.

5sport

I asked my son (who has been in the class with the Arnolds and the Prynes for years) if he could tell them apart. Even though he has classes with "one of them", he said he really can't tell the difference. In some apects I am sure it would be cool to be a twin and have someone to be that close. In other aspects, I would imagine it would be tiring to have to explain which one you are, and stand on your own acheivements instead of people always trying to remember which one did what. Imagine how many of their conversations start with "uhhh...which one are you?" :/

I do agree with you ...when both the Kaysi and Kayla, and Derek and Corey graduate, Greenbrier will miss what they bring to our sports programs.

Now,here we go. The season hasn't even started and you won a scrimmage and youve now won the state. Its great to have confidence and its great to have pride but a match that means anything has not even been played. And now you are worried about AAA when you are not even in it. If Greenbrier is trying to win AAA, change clsasifications and got out of the District you are in. They will let you play in 11AAA where every night almost is a District, regional or State Tournament matchup. Do you have that in the District you are in? Wht's going to happen with an injury or two? Are you still there. Last time I checked there are three championships. If you are not happy with your coach, I can name 7-8 Schools that will take her in a minute or less if she wants. If anyone at Greenbrier thinks they can be where they are today with less of a coach, they are dillusional. Your last statement, I hope puts this whole thing to bed. This team, today, has a lot of every thing it takes to be a state champ but they haven't done it yet and there still are some holes in the play. How about getting a match with GPS, Anderson, Some of the AA Chattanooga teams. Some of the fans at Greenbrier must think they have played a season already. Last account, the curtain hasn't even been parted. There has been some glimmers and some players have played great But there is probably a coach somewhere that looked at PM's stats of the match and will have seen what has to be done and it will come at you every match with the same plan. What you do have though is a very good coach who seems to roll with the punches and can react to the moves. That's your advantage right now. I'm sure she will leave all of this AAA bluster to someone else and the rest will tell you to get in a District that more fits your talent. 14-0 in your district means nothing. They won't even post their playday results to see how they stand. Your team, right now, is the Arnold Twins and for a few matches all have seen, a up and coming great setter in Jennifer Holbert. No other players yet can carry the School without them. Will they during the year? maybe so or maybe not. If you had posted this the first of October and your record against teams out side of your District was clear, its a different subject.

Sorry to come at a first time poster like this but its the second time now it has happened and Greenbrier, give it a little time. Congrats for becoming a member and we are pleased to have someone with the knowledge of the spoort as you evidently do.

Since Mr. No It All, err I mean Hargis stated that you obviously have a lot of knowledge about the sport of volleyball, I wonder why he disputed almost every sentence in your post. Can you imagine the response if you didn't know anything. Ever heard of a negative positive. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Guest TheSportsGuy

Since Mr. No It All, err I mean Hargis stated that you obviously have a lot of knowledge about the sport of volleyball, I wonder why he disputed almost every sentence in your post. Can you imagine the response if you didn't know anything. Ever heard of a negative positive. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Sick em bulldog. GRR.... Woohoo... /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

• 1 month later...

Just a note to our fans and other interested parties:

We will host the Region Tournament beginning at 4:30 Tuesday against Red Boiling Springs. Macon Co. will then play Jackson Co. at 6 and the two winners play at 7:30.

If we win at 7:30, we'll host the Sectional (vs. the Region 3 runner-up - either Boyd Buchanan, East Ridge (The Fro!), Chatt. Christian or Chatt. Arts & Science) on Thursday night at 7.

We'd love to have a big, boisterous crowd both nights.

Go Lady Cats! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Just a note to our fans and other interested parties:

We will host the Region Tournament beginning at 4:30 Tuesday against Red Boiling Springs. Macon Co. will then play Jackson Co. at 6 and the two winners play at 7:30.

If we win at 7:30, we'll host the Sectional (vs. the Region 3 runner-up - either Boyd Buchanan, East Ridge (The Fro!), Chatt. Christian or Chatt. Arts & Science) on Thursday night at 7.

We'd love to have a big, boisterous crowd both nights.

Go Lady Cats! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I will be there i enjoyed watching the girls play last night at watertown. I was really surprised at how quick the final three matches happened. But they looked like there ready for a run at the gold ball again this year. The little number 12 girl caught my attention man she was killing the ball last night. The twins looked awesome as always. Well good luck the rest of the way. Hope you win it all. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I will be there i enjoyed watching the girls play last night at watertown. I was really surprised at how quick the final three matches happened. But they looked like there ready for a run at the gold ball again this year. The little number 12 girl caught my attention man she was killing the ball last night. The twins looked awesome as always. Well good luck the rest of the way. Hope you win it all. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Thanks for the support and compliments. We appreciate it.

I was pullin' for y'all last night. It means a lot when a fellow district team says they'll show up to cheer you on. Have a safe trip up!