Greenbrier Volleyball

KillJoy

Congratulations to the Lady Cats! As a fan, and not a parent, I suggest that 5 sport dad take off his rose colored glasses tonight and enjoy the game. Also, I am confident that the former assistant coach has already forgotten more about volleyball than he will ever know. Stop dis-ing players and make it enjoyable for all who participate. Good luck Lady Cats!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) I like my rose-colored glasses, thank you very much!

2) Now I know. It's what she's forgotten that worries me. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

3) I'm not 'dis-ing' any players. I'm promotin' 32s performance Tuesday night. She stood out and I ain't ashamed of recognizing it.

With a daughter that graduated, yes, last year, she was an athlete who had a great attitude. Of the 4 years she played VB, there was only one occasion that I went to a coach. I never asked for more play time but simply stated that the coach could do anything she wanted but break her spirit. I never once had the coach's ear and never complained about who made the tournament teams and who didn't. Guess what? She ain't there no more! I can finally say the truth of what I see. Don't mean to offend and would not hurt a player's heart for anything. The only people I could possibly offend are you people all up in it. I love these girls and I love the parents, now lets put this to rest. I just spoke what everybody else has felt for a long time. GO LADY-CATS!! I for one will be cheering you on. Lets move on, I already have. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> See ya tonight.

It is hard when coaches play favorites, either to the parents that are constantly in their ear, or to the superstar. I appreciate the honesty of your post. I wish more parents (and coaches) would just let the girls play and have fun. It is difficult being a teenage girl. We have become a society that only focuses on number 1. I am sure this is not the first time (or the last) that politics have gotten an unearned or undeserved reward.

You're very observant. And, as you must know, if you know me, I'm not very 'PC.' To me, wrong is wrong. And, right is right. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

I'm just saying she deserved to be on the team. Doesn't mean somebody had to be taken off, does it? And I didn't even know there was a 'committee' and still don't know who the 'big haired lady' is, for sure. Don't really care. But, since you know who I am, you and whoever let me know tonight and I'd love to have it explained. As you said, I didn't have a 'dawg' in the fight. The twins always play good. Sometimes, their worst is somebody elses best. However, I do support the team and think #32 stood above the rest that night. I take it you don't or you wouldn't be coming to the defense of the 'committee?'

Personally, from my experience in watching volleyball over the last 20 years, #32 did a great job in the two games when she was on the front row, but she kind of disappeared on the back row. But she did what she was asked to do.

But my question to you once again is to have some guts and take one of the other girls off the team. It is a tough decision and you could not go wrong with andy of the six from Greenbrier. And once again if you know the "shallow', 'jealous', former coach that was on the committee have the guts to go ask why that the committee mad the choices that they made. I am sure that they will answer your questions.

Personally, from my experience in watching volleyball over the last 20 years, #32 did a great job in the two games when she was on the front row, but she kind of disappeared on the back row. But she did what she was asked to do.

But my question to you once again is to have some guts and take one of the other girls off the team. It is a tough decision and you could not go wrong with andy of the six from Greenbrier. And once again if you know the "shallow', 'jealous', former coach that was on the committee have the guts to go ask why that the committee mad the choices that they made. I am sure that they will answer your questions.

Was she asked to 'disappear on the back row?' I don't think so!

I wouldn't take a girl off the team if your life depended on it. But, I would discuss anything YOU'D like to and at any time. Look me up. I look forward to it. What's the old Greenbrier sayin', 'ain't skeered!'

Let's get real here: Are you the 'committee?'

In reading these posts I think some of the Greenbrier parents need to grow up and not worry about who gets selected to the all tournament team, but worry about whether you win or lose. I watched the team last year and heard a lot of the same people cry because the little setter got all of the awards that she got. Now I am hearing it again. It is my understanding that the setter touches the ball on every possesion and without her none of the hitters would be very good.

5-sport dad who does the Butler girl deserve the award over? The Arnold twins? The Williams girl? The Holbert girl? She did a great job along with your daughter, but who do you take off. The tournament "committee" has a tough time in any sport and I am sure they dont want to leave any one off, but they have to make selections on what they see on the court. If you know who was on the committee I am sure that they would talk to you and explain to you their selections if you wanted to talk to them instead about them on this post.

Frankly, I haven't ever heard the big hair lady complain about who got what. I think she was glad to be a part of it all. It is true it takes a great setter. It also requires good hitters to hit the ball, WHEREVER the set is at the net. That is a Greenbrier motto, and the hitters on Greenbrier for the past few years could do just that. I think it is funny that a person just happened to go directly to a person that they thought could answer a question about the tourney team selections, and all this chatter has resulted from it. I'll have to attend more games in the future to get a better understanding of the who's who of Greenbrier. From what I can gather from all these posts: if you want to get an unbiased viewpoint on anything, ya better ask a neighbor from another city to be on the committee, oh yeah that's right, the insiders pick those too. How do you get to be an insider ar Greenbrier? Are you born into it? Do you go to school there? Do you have some kind of blood ritual? I have kids coming up so I want to get on the fast track to the networking ASAP.

I know this situation should be put to rest, but I can??™t help but to speak my piece??¦

As an alum of GHS, I am incredibly shocked at the way the game of volleyball has changed. I have never heard of such emphasis being place on the awards instead of the team as a whole or of such disrespect to the people in the community.

I??™m still a little confused about who the ???big-haired lady??? is??¦.the former coach or the mom of the girl that played last year.

As for the mom of the girl that played last year, I really don??™t have much to say about her??¦but I will gladly defend the former coach??¦

Anyone that would bad-mouth her should be ashamed! She has been nothing but great for the girls on the volleyball team, even after her daughter has graduated she continues to support these wonderful girls. She has cooked for them numerous times over the years, bought each and every one of them gifts??¦..and keep in mind did NOT HAVE TO do these things. She has been an excellent cheerleader and role model for these girls??¦I definitely don??™t see that as being shallow! And what in the world is there for her to be jealous about??? sorry but anyone that will do a cartwheel and the splits numerous times after winning games at her age I have to give props to??¦.I would LOVE to see you do that 5 sport! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

And as for those of you that are complaining about living in small towns??¦please MOVE if you hate it so much??¦..but please let your daughters stay I will gladly adopt each of them.

On a lighter note??¦.Good luck next week girls??¦.Each and every one of you is amazing!!! Bring home another championship!!

It goes to show how sports crazy we get. It is all about being #1. If somebody stacked, or rigged, the all-tournament team it is wrong, and should be considered cheating. I have had to watch my daughter play her heart out and have everyone tell her that she was going to make an all-tournament team just to watch a child who is a coaches pet, and whos parents are politically connected win out. Say what you want, but that is wrong.

Is the all-state tournament team already selected? If so why even play. Volleyball is a TEAM sport, way to many people get attention because they are big hitters.

This whole situation is sad.

It goes to show how sports crazy we get. It is all about being #1. If somebody stacked, or rigged, the all-tournament team it is wrong, and should be considered cheating. I have had to watch my daughter play her heart out and have everyone tell her that she was going to make an all-tournament team just to watch a child who is a coaches pet, and whos parents are politically connected win out. Say what you want, but that is wrong.

Is the all-state tournament team already selected? If so why even play. Volleyball is a TEAM sport, way to many people get attention because they are big hitters.

This whole situation is sad.

well see here's the thing, just to make this clear....not ONE of these girls was picked to be on the all tournament team because of her parents' "political connections"

They were all very deserving. Obviously the twins are amazing hitters, Jenn Holbert just a great all around player, and Rebekah Williams an excellent passer and setter.

The other 2 starters were also very deserving and equally amazing but were not put on the team.

Sorry to be blunt but get over it....the focus should be put back on WINNING another state tournament!!!

Girls play your hearts out...but not for some award, for each other!