New Era for South Fulton

DevilDad44

With South Fulton's win over West Carrol 33-20 Coach Kelly Spivey has started a new winning tradition against all odds. With only 25 players on the roster he has taught this team how to believe in themselves and become winners. West Carrol was no push over as that # 5 was very impressive with his power, but they could not stop the Devils from reaching their destiny tonight. South Fulton has to work on tackling better but they are swarming the ball and team tackling again! The Offense basically marched down the field and could not be stopped. This team is for real, and the Seniors have stepped up to lead this team to victory. SF Linebacker/Full back Cherry scored twice, had 1 fumble take away/recovery, and several tackles. His counter part JR Fowler also had a great game. QB Hawks worked the offense as though he had been doing it for years although this was his first game at that position. He also kicked his first PAT. 77 Curtis dominated the defensive line and made several stops, McConnel and Garmen made some critical receptions and Avent (2 TD) was a shining star running that pig skin. Getting the first few yards on the play was easy as the holes were created, but he kept going following his down field blocks using great vision and gaining tremendous yardage. Region 7-1A will be a wild race this year.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats to South Fulton on the win, but one win against another team that has struggled in recent years hardly constitutes a "winning tradition." One step at a time.

Any winning tradition has ALWAYS started with 1 win. We are taking it 1 game at a time, and until SF loses a regional game I will continue to call it as it is! This coaching staff and this team are for real. Will we win every game? No. Will we win state? No. Will we make the playoffs? I beleive, the coaches believe, the fans believe, and you will too at the end of the season. Am I steping out on a limb? Yep. Time will tell /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

The Bored Guy is right one win doesn't constitute a winning tradition but it is a start. To actually see the boys cheering from the sidelines and being excited about the game was great! The fact that West Carroll scored three times but did not break our spirit was awesome! We have a long way to go, especially our defense, but I can see it happening. It just takes one win to start a winning tradition. GO BIG RED!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree. This is a great start to a new season and for Coach Spivey. But we have to work on our tackling. #5 was a very strong runner and was getting many yards after we first came into contact with him and #9 was pretty good 2. The offense was good but a tad sloppy with the fumbles they had on some exchanges and the timing of snapping the ball.

Though West Carroll did have some pretty decent size on their offensive and defensive lines i thought we handled them very well. I beleive they will give some teams some fits running with #5 and with the somewhat of the pass game they brought.

This is a great stepping stone for our program and i hope the momentum carries over into next week when Ballard Co comes to town.

Good luck Devils!

One Game At A Time!

Congrats South Fulton on the win. It was a very sloppy game. That game should not have been that close. I thought if SF could have cut down on even half of their mistakes they would have beaten West Carrol by 50. All three of their TD's came off of SF mistakes. Missed assignments, poor tackling, and a dropped interception led to all three of their scores. As for the Offense, the backs ran very hard. More so after halftime the line started DOMINATING West Carrols Defensive line. It was obvious that SF was in far better shape than West Carrol. They had half as many players as well. Props to coach Spivey as far as that goes. Cherry ran very hard and had a nice game defensively. Avent is a true talent that you dont see everyday. He is an athletic phenom and sometimes I don't think he fully realizes his potential. Hawks did a good job managing the offense but had some exchange issues. Overall he did a good job. What a tackle tandem the Devils have with Sission and Curtis. Towards the end of the game I noticed they started running off tackle quite a lot and Curtis and Sission made it happen. Some of those holes were literally 6-8 ft. wide.

As far as defense goes, they have alot of work to do. The scrimmages that I had been to the devils played very solid Defense. This game was a totally different group I saw. They had moments were they really looked good, but they missed A LOT of tackles. That is nothing that can't be fixed though. So work hard this week boys and get ready for Ballard Co. this Friday. Good luck and work hard.

P.S. DevilDad, I enjoyed reading your post. You should think about maybe being a sports columnist. It actually felt like I was reading a newspaper. haha I'm only joking. But I'm glad to see that the fans are still around. HUGE crowd Friday night by the way. I would venture to say anywhere between 400-500 SF Faithful were there Friday night. Great job