UT signees.........

chill

I had a chance to catch the Thunder's 2nd game of the day at the Jr. Olympics. They easily beat the Ohio Stars. The Ohio team had some college signees including an Ohio State signee at point guard named Brooks and post player named Fitch who's going to Michigan. First off Lil Penny had a very nice game. He played well next to the UT kids. Josh Goodwin was on fire. He didn't get a ton of minutes, but he made the most of it. After a slow start, Billy May really put together a solid game. He was all over the court making key plays when it was still tight. Boomer Herndon was very unimpressive. He had scored 16 early in the day in a close loss to a team from Maryland 88-84. He was pretty much manhandled by Fitch, who is about 6/7, 250. He was in foul trouble for most of the game and scored 2 points. John Winchester looked very good. He is unbelieveably athletic and has a nice stroke. He really attacked the goal and dunked on quite a few people. He had two sweet oops. CJ Watson was smooth as silk. He didn't play too much point, but showed he could handle the ball and get to the goal. His pullup off the dribble is deadly from beyond the arc. He will definitely play big minutes for the Vols next year. He held Brooks in check on defense after he had scored 30 plus earlier in the day. Stanley Asumnu was not what I expected at all. He is an NBA type athlete. He dunked on everybody they threw at him. He stroked the three, shook everyone with his handles, and then threw it down in their face. One of his dunks was so nasty and hard that he got T'ed up. Well, he did dunk on two guys, get the foul, do a chin-up with his waist above the rim, and smacked way above the box with his off hand, all before he came down. It was beyond belief. If Stribling hasn't improved a lot over the summer, then Asumnu will start for the Vols next season...... As hard as Asumnu dunked, they weren't the hardest of the day. The point guard for the Thunder2 laid down the hardest tomahawk I've ever seen. He absolutely rocked the rim. People ran in all directions on this one. It was so hard that you literally hurt for a couple of minutes afterwards. He was just picked up out of Georgia for the tourney, so none of the parents knew his name. He's easily 6/2(6/4 with fro), 220 lbs of muscle, quick as a cat, and he runs the show. On one play, he took three guys up with him who either had hand or ball, and he still converted the three point play. He shot it well too. He was as impressive as any on this day. If he's not a D-1 football prospect, he is in hoops. Straight up baller....... three of the UT recruits will undoubtedly see minutes next year while one really needs to redshirt..... With these three guards coming in the Bradshaw commitment makes a little more sense because his type of game will complement these guys nicely..... whether or not he's SEC caliber still remains to be seen......

[Edited by chill on 8/2/02 10:01P]

Wow! Sounds like the Vols will be fun to watch in a year or 2. Whats the knock on Bradshaw? Ive heard too slow and cant get a shot off...but ive heard he makes good decisions and is a smart player. What are ur thoughts? TN wouldnt have offered to him unless he was a heckuva player, right?

Guest defref

I was also at the game yesterday vs. the ohio team. I had no idea that the strickland kid had so much hops. The whole gym went crazy when Stanley slowed down waited for the defender,looked back, threw it down and got the foul. that was a real fun game to watch. Has anyone seen the team from Maryland. they beat the Thunder by 4 yestersay morning.

Anyway good game by all UT signees. They have alot of talent in thier class this year. If anyone sees Hearndon tell him to get a haircut

I watched Stanley Asumnu,Boomer Herndon,CJ Watson and John Winchester today!Here is what I think of each player.

Boomer Herndon. He needs a redshirt year. He got pushed around today. He needs to get quicker and stronger. He needs to learn not to bring the ball down. He had a lot of shots blocked today.He has a decent shooting touch. If UT recruits some good big men. Boomer will not get much playing time.

John Winchester. He is a very good athlete with a very good jumpshot. He can play off guard or point guard. Can handle the ball very well. He needs to hit the weightroom. He will be a very good player in the SEC.

CJ Watson. He is the real deal. Has an explosive 1st step. He is quick like Tony Harris and Harris Walker but he plays a lot more under control. He can drain the 3 point shot. He can create his own shot. He will create shots for others. He will be the point guard UT needs. His only drawback is he needs to get stronger.

Stanley Asumnu. This guy will be a highlight film type of guy. In all my years of watching UT basketball I never saw a guy who could leap like this guy can. A skywalker. He can slash to the hoop,He can rebound well and he can drain the 3 point shot.Physically put together. Built like a greek god. Had fans jump out of their seats on one dunk. He dribbled down court with a guy right next to him. He elevated and slammed the ball through the hoop and got fouled,pulled himself up with a chinup on the rim and slapped both hands on the backboard.

With Asumnu,Watson and Winchester our backcourt will be set. Those three guys will bring us UT fans some joy hopefully the next 4 years.

The best player I saw today was Raymond Felton. He is a McDonalds all american heading to North Carolina. He will be a 2 year player. He is very strong,shoots the ball very well and handles the ball very well. CJ Watson has a chance to be as good as Raymond though. He needs to hit the weights badly. I think that is the major difference betwen both players. Raymond will be UNC's point guard from day 1.

Just for information Boomer hurt an ankle in the first game pretty bad, UT trainer thought he might have a stress fractrue so just the fact that he was on the court the second game shows his heart. Boomer does need to improve to sec caliper ball , but so do most freshman coming in, The staff and strenth coach are working him hard and he will be the big surprise to most fans in this freshman class. GO VOLS

Posted by REBELRON:

If you are talking about #44 on the other Thunder team he turned down a football scholarship to LSU to play basketball at some small college. That is what his AAU coach said.

From the mouth of Derek Thomas, #44 TN Thunder, "I have not played football since my 10th grade year, and I did not turn down a football scholarship to LSU."

Guest defref

he told me that he was going to juco and then choosing between Maryland and clemson. that kid has got an all around game. hopefully he will keep his grades up and be able to play ACC ball he is really fun to watch.