cumberland football

dogdad

Curt had a great year. At first everyone feared he wouldn't be back for his senior year due to his injury but he worked hard and did a turnaround which positioned Cumberland to attain one of their best records in many years. Good luck for the future Curt. :thumb:

Curt is a good man, I enjoyed watching him on Friday nights at Seq Co.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 66in74

Does anyone know, I mean really know what's happening with Cumberland's Football field.

I've heard they're going to put down turf and new stands etc at the current location.?

I've heard they're going to lease the old Lebanon HS facility approx. 3 blocks away.?

I've heard they're going to play at the new Lebanon HS facilty?

Maybe they'll do nothing?

Anybody really know?

• 2 weeks later...

If a deal can't be reached with the Wilson County school system over a lease / purchase of Lebanon High's (existing) Nokes-Lasater Field, CU is prepared to renovate / rebuild on campus with the new sprint turf. The LHS facility seats about 5,000, has two press boxes, metal bleachers on concrete. CU proposed to install turf, gut the restrooms and concession stands. With the new lights, they could play a Thursday night home game every now and then to attract a new crowd. If not, the school is prepared to do something dramatic on campus. I'd say one more year using Kirk Field as is, then a change for the 2012 season.

If a deal can't be reached with the Wilson County school system over a lease / purchase of Lebanon High's (existing) Nokes-Lasater Field, CU is prepared to renovate / rebuild on campus with the new sprint turf. The LHS facility seats about 5,000, has two press boxes, metal bleachers on concrete. CU proposed to install turf, gut the restrooms and concession stands. With the new lights, they could play a Thursday night home game every now and then to attract a new crowd. If not, the school is prepared to do something dramatic on campus. I'd say one more year using Kirk Field as is, then a change for the 2012 season.

Thanks for the update Eddie. All of that sounds like a good plan.

Do you know how the negotiations are going between CU and Wilson County?

Not great to be honest. The county can't see the big picture. CU wants to rent and renovate, but wants control over the facility. CU is willing to allow junior pro soccer, football, junior high football, etc., to play there basically as a community service. The county sees no advantage to renting to CU. But they have no alternate plan once LHS vacates. If the existing LHS building is converted to a county junior high, what jr. high coaching staff could keep that facility up?

• 6 months later...

Cumberland is moving ahead with a rehab project for the existing on-campus football stadium. Phase 1 involves tearing down the existing bleachers and pressbox; then replacing with new. Seating capacity will be roughly the same, but will include chairbacks in the middle. New pressbox will be 3 times larger than the old one -- with air conditioning.

Phase 2 (next year) will involve building a concession stand / restroom structure.

Phase 3 -- (2 years down the road) will put the finishing touch on Kirk Field -- artificial turf. A big concern is the water runoff from the tennis courts and parking lot behind Memorial Hall. This will have to be addressed before the turf is put down. Engineers are looking at a large retaining pond (empty when its dry, full when it rains) to be located at the back corner of the football practice field. This might hold the runoff water long enough for the neighborhood drainage pipes and ditches to do their job.

BTW -- Coach Alexander was the 2010 Tennessee Sports Writers Association College Football Coach of the Year.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest 66in74

Hope you are right Eddie, but I'll believe it when I see it.

The only reason the new bleachers and press box are going in is because they were damaged in a storm beyond repair.

There are 5th year seniors on this years team that were told the same time line when they signed 5 years ago. :bored:

• 2 weeks later...

Hope you are right Eddie, but I'll believe it when I see it.

The only reason the new bleachers and press box are going in is because they were damaged in a storm beyond repair.

There are 5th year seniors on this years team that were told the same time line when they signed 5 years ago. :bored:

Cumberland could have their hands full with this years opener when the travel to Linsdsey Wilson in Ky.

• 3 weeks later...

Cumberland could have their hands full with this years opener when the travel to Linsdsey Wilson in Ky.

Cumberland defeats Lindsey Wilson 23-13. Up next..@ Campsbellsville Universtity. GO DAWGS!

• 4 weeks later...

Cumberland is 3-1 after a 31-26 win at West Virginia Tech. The Bulldogs lost senior Da'Juan Manning to a broken leg in the first half. Outstanding young man from Gallatin, solid special teams player and was the "nickle" OLB in passing situations. Open week Oct. 1, then a six-game stetch of Mid-South Conference games begins with a trip to Rome, GA and Shorter College Oct. 8.

• 2 weeks later...