It's Official Now.......

Old Timer

An employee of another private school said " it was just another bad decision by Ezell". From what we understand they will have to travel a great deal as they will be going south (Forrest, Eagleville etc.) Not sure what they are thinking. When I saw their non-district football schedule this year (Davidson Acad., Bishop Byrne, BGA) I figured they were testing the waters of D.2 small. With their enrollment dwindling, I can't see how it would benefit them to stay D1. They still have until October 31st to make a final call.

CPA is definitely at a crossroads. BIG decision for them. Not sure which way they are leaning. No surprise for NCS and FCS since their enrollments allow them to stay down. DCA is upset that they can no longer compete at a high level in football with the multiplier in place. Not official yet, but I see them making the call soon. They will do well in D.2 small.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An employee of another private school said " it was just another bad decision by Ezell". From what we understand they will have to travel a great deal as they will be going south (Forrest, Eagleville etc.) Not sure what they are thinking. When I saw their non-district football schedule this year (Davidson Acad., Bishop Byrne, BGA) I figured they were testing the waters of D.2 small. With their enrollment dwindling, I can't see how it would benefit them to stay D1. They still have until October 31st to make a final call.

CPA is definitely at a crossroads. BIG decision for them. Not sure which way they are leaning. No surprise for NCS and FCS since their enrollments allow them to stay down. DCA is upset that they can no longer compete at a high level in football with the multiplier in place. Not official yet, but I see them making the call soon. They will do well in D.2 small.

Just have to wonder if some of these smaller privates stay and are in 1A and start winning championships if the multiplier will not go up in the future to force them out. They will be fine as long as they don't win. It would not surprise me a bit.

Just have to wonder if some of these smaller privates stay and are in 1A and start winning championships if the multiplier will not go up in the future to force them out. They will be fine as long as they don't win. It would not surprise me a bit.

That's the key......everything will be fine, as long as they lose.

Not sure what you are seeing or hearing, yet there seems to be a renewed sense of excitement on the USJ campus!

The current D1 Privates were/wil be included in the D1 breakdown using the multiplied number correct? Although

I can't find it now, I KNOW I saw where the the D1 cut-off between A and AA would be used to split D2 into Large and Small. USJ and JCS are (and probably still) classified as AA with using the factor of 1.8. I assume that after being shown that.....along with knowing what the magic number between A/AA - Small/Large.....you would then take your actual (not multiplied) enrollment to see where you would fall in D2? (once again I a talking about the "big" A/AA/AAA under the Z-plan, not the "a" breakdowns within being used for football)

According to all the news article.....both have been guaranteed they would be in the Small division. I still don't see how you can make that guarantee without knowing what the actual numbers are? Just quoting what I read, and I may have added the word "guaranteed" on my own, yet it would not be very ethical for both to make that decision and then end up in Large division of D2.

Thanks for you help.

Asitis:

It is my understanding that the current privates in D-I, with enrollments adjusted by the multiplier, will be included in the initial classification breakdown sent out by the TSSAA after the fall enrollment numbers are all in. The privates will then be asked to make a choice between D-I and D-II. Once that choice is made, the D-I classification breakdown will be made without those privates that have elected to go to D-II. Theoretically, I suppose depending upon how many elect to go, that someone who is sitting close to a break in classification could go up or down from the initial classification.

The Board of Control did vote in its June meeting that the enrollment break line for A and AA be the same in Division II as it is in Division I. You can find this in the minutes of the June Board of Control meeting posted on the TSSAA website. Item 40 E. of those minutes.

As far as your questions about where USJ and JCS might have been "guaranteed" to land, the "projected" classification using "current" enrollment numbers ( 2008-2009?) that was published in the Tennessean immediately following the June Board of Control meeting at which the Z Plan was adopted and the multiplier left at 1.8 did "project" both JCS and USJ to be in AA. However, they are shown as being in the lower half, 3(A), based on multiplied enrollment, of District 14 ( the top half of AA is called 4A under the Z Plan). So, that could mean that they are bubble teams, near the projected break between A and AA, which could shift depending on who stays and who goes. I do not know what their current enrollment is. Also, it is hard to project where the break is going to be. For the current period, the break between A/AA is at 461/462. However, Oliver Springs High School, which is in A and shown as having had an enrollment of 461 in 2004 according to the TSSAA website, had a 2006 enrollment of 492 as shown on that same site. This places it at No. 112 of the 336 schools shown as being in D-I, with Jackson Co. at 113. If the TSSAA, which I am told likes to have even numbers, were to simply split that list into thirds to get an even number in each classification, then the break point using 2006 enrollments might have been at 492/494. If school enrollments in the publics, which make up the vast majority of D-I schools, have increased, the break point could be higher than it now is, maybe even significantly so. Who knows at this point. We really won't know until all this shakes out next month.

As for D-II, keep in mind that while the break between A and AA will be the same for D-II as it is in D-I, for purposes of determining classification in D-II, enrollments are not multiplied. The multiplier applies only in D-I; not D-II. The minutes of the June meeting of the BOC state that the BOC voted to continue to use a multiplier of 1.8 for "enrollments of private schools that participate in Division I". Once they elect to participate in D-II, the multiplier goes away. It serves no purpose in D-II, after all. So, it is entirely possible, in fact likely, that D-I privates who, when their enrollments are multiplied by 1.8, would be in AA for D-I, are in A for D-II. JCS had a 2006 enrollment of 251. USJ had an enrollment of 378. ( According to the TSSAA website). Those numbers are nowhere near the current break of 461/462. So, I think it is entirely possible that both schools will and could be "guaranteed" to be in the small school classification of D-II. In fact, it would probably be a surprise if they were not. Unless their enrollments have jumped significantly, if theA/AA break were low enough to catch them, it would mean there has been a mass exodus from the D-I public schools in numbers that even the most cynical could not blame on recruiting.

All I can say is that, eventually, we will all know and then we can go back to our day jobs.

Asitis:

It is my understanding that the current privates in D-I, with enrollments adjusted by the multiplier, will be included in the initial classification breakdown sent out by the TSSAA after the fall enrollment numbers are all in. The privates will then be asked to make a choice between D-I and D-II. Once that choice is made, the D-I classification breakdown will be made without those privates that have elected to go to D-II. Theoretically, I suppose depending upon how many elect to go, that someone who is sitting close to a break in classification could go up or down from the initial classification.

The Board of Control did vote in its June meeting that the enrollment break line for A and AA be the same in Division II as it is in Division I. You can find this in the minutes of the June Board of Control meeting posted on the TSSAA website. Item 40 E. of those minutes.

As far as your questions about where USJ and JCS might have been "guaranteed" to land, the "projected" classification using "current" enrollment numbers ( 2008-2009?) that was published in the Tennessean immediately following the June Board of Control meeting at which the Z Plan was adopted and the multiplier left at 1.8 did "project" both JCS and USJ to be in AA. However, they are shown as being in the lower half, 3(A), based on multiplied enrollment, of District 14 ( the top half of AA is called 4A under the Z Plan). So, that could mean that they are bubble teams, near the projected break between A and AA, which could shift depending on who stays and who goes. I do not know what their current enrollment is. Also, it is hard to project where the break is going to be. For the current period, the break between A/AA is at 461/462. However, Oliver Springs High School, which is in A and shown as having had an enrollment of 461 in 2004 according to the TSSAA website, had a 2006 enrollment of 492 as shown on that same site. This places it at No. 112 of the 336 schools shown as being in D-I, with Jackson Co. at 113. If the TSSAA, which I am told likes to have even numbers, were to simply split that list into thirds to get an even number in each classification, then the break point using 2006 enrollments might have been at 492/494. If school enrollments in the publics, which make up the vast majority of D-I schools, have increased, the break point could be higher than it now is, maybe even significantly so. Who knows at this point. We really won't know until all this shakes out next month.

As for D-II, keep in mind that while the break between A and AA will be the same for D-II as it is in D-I, for purposes of determining classification in D-II, enrollments are not multiplied. The multiplier applies only in D-I; not D-II. The minutes of the June meeting of the BOC state that the BOC voted to continue to use a multiplier of 1.8 for "enrollments of private schools that participate in Division I". Once they elect to participate in D-II, the multiplier goes away. It serves no purpose in D-II, after all. So, it is entirely possible, in fact likely, that D-I privates who, when their enrollments are multiplied by 1.8, would be in AA for D-I, are in A for D-II. JCS had a 2006 enrollment of 251. USJ had an enrollment of 378. ( According to the TSSAA website). Those numbers are nowhere near the current break of 461/462. So, I think it is entirely possible that both schools will and could be "guaranteed" to be in the small school classification of D-II. In fact, it would probably be a surprise if they were not. Unless their enrollments have jumped significantly, if theA/AA break were low enough to catch them, it would mean there has been a mass exodus from the D-I public schools in numbers that even the most cynical could not blame on recruiting.

All I can say is that, eventually, we will all know and then we can go back to our day jobs.

I don't see how you can have answered it any clearer. Thanks for finally clearing all that up. In a nutshell, I think it turns out to be pretty much what I thought, yet until now, I really never could get an answer to each specific question.

It is my understanding, as a parent, that USJ is set up for no more than around 100 students per grade, that is without additional facilities being added. That should leave them a little room to play with now and in the future.

Once again.....thanks for all your help.

I agree with you and WTBaller - that is key. FCS almost won one two years ago and are strong now. NCS is getting better and better as well. Not to mention, there is a ton of negative buzz from small publics about the Grace schools in Chatt. and Knoxville getting good quickly.

This is all a giant shame. We should all be talking about a merit system that places every team at the proper level. /sad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

That's the key......everything will be fine, as long as they lose.

Not sure what you are seeing or hearing, yet there seems to be a renewed sense of excitement on the USJ campus!

Pretty much the same here about the excitement. I think everyone is just really relieved that next year we will be playing like size schools. The travel question will pretty much be over when basketball season gets here with district games in Covington, Ripley, and Fayette Ware. The travel to East Memphis is not going to be any worse, and will be a much easier drive. I was just really glad when JCS made it official also. As fierce as the rivalry is between the two schools, we need each other and at the end of the day, the kids are basically friends and pull for each other when they are playing anyone else. I can't blame Trinity for staying in 1A, but wish it would have been a clean sweep, but by a few staying in DI, it will keep this message board alive /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Good outline of the situation. One thing that I noticed from your post is the fact that Publics on the edge at the moment are more likely to be shifted upward. Most of the current D1 privates who are considering the move will be in the new 3A as a result of the multiplier. If they opt for DII, that leaves a deficit of possibly 10-20 3A teams which means some Publics who are initially in 2A will be moved upwards to 3A. There will be several very unhappy campers at that point.

Asitis:

If they opt for DII, that leaves a deficit of possibly 10-20 3A teams which means some Publics who are initially in 2A will be moved upwards to 3A. There will be several very unhappy campers at that point.

The whole thing is a mess (mixing 3A with 4A etc.) Reminds me of the old adage "Be carefull what you wish for, You just might get it !"

It now appears that USJ and JCS are downgrading their athletic programs by going DII. If you win the DII Championship what have you won? Nothing more than maybe winning a region. There are only 10 teams currently in DII football. I hear Harding is going to the larger division. I think it is a mstake for both these programs.

IF you want to be the best you have to play the best. They should be trying to upgrade their programs instead of downgrading.

It now appears that USJ and JCS are downgrading their athletic programs by going DII. If you win the DII Championship what have you won? Nothing more than maybe winning a region. There are only 10 teams currently in DII football. I hear Harding is going to the larger division. I think it is a mstake for both these programs.

IF you want to be the best you have to play the best. They should be trying to upgrade their programs instead of downgrading.

I am sick and tired of D2 championships being belittled. Why do you think D2 exists? Because the D1 schools said that private school who provided financial aid to athletes had an unfair advantage and they did not want to play them. You can't say on the one hand that you have an unfair advantage and say on the other hand that these schools don't play play anybody. If anything by creating D2, you reduce the significance of D1 chanpionships because they don't have to play the MBA, BA, etc.

This is a really good thread except for this post. Compare the percentage of DII championship players who go on to play college football to the DI championship finals teams and get back to us. It's not watered down.