It's Official Now.......

Old Timer

It now appears that USJ and JCS are downgrading their athletic programs by going DII. If you win the DII Championship what have you won? Nothing more than maybe winning a region. There are only 10 teams currently in DII football. I hear Harding is going to the larger division. I think it is a mstake for both these programs.

IF you want to be the best you have to play the best. They should be trying to upgrade their programs instead of downgrading.

What an ignorant comment.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sick and tired of D2 championships being belittled. Why do you think D2 exists? Because the D1 schools said that private school who provided financial aid to athletes had an unfair advantage and they did not want to play them. You can't say on the one hand that you have an unfair advantage and say on the other hand that these schools don't play play anybody. If anything by creating D2, you reduce the significance of D1 chanpionships because they don't have to play the MBA, BA, etc.

Maybe I did not explain myself good enough. I think that all schools should be in the same division, divided among 3 or 4 classes. I think D2-A is is not the same as DII AA. The D2-A is pretty weak with not very many teams. Once again I say to be the best you have to play the best. In DII-A winning a State Championship is not much more than winning your region as the classes are now.

What an ignorant comment.

What is ignorant about this comment. With a division of about 10 teams in DII-A what does a championship equal? Nothing more than a region championship. I think all schools should be put together DI and DII and have 3 or 4 classes.

This is a really good thread except for this post. Compare the percentage of DII championship players who go on to play college football to the DI championship finals teams and get back to us. It's not watered down.

DII-A is.

Maybe I did not explain myself good enough. I think that all schools should be in the same division, divided among 3 or 4 classes. I think D2-A is is not the same as DII AA. The D2-A is pretty weak with not very many teams. Once again I say to be the best you have to play the best. In DII-A winning a State Championship is not much more than winning your region as the classes are now.

There were 10 teams in D2A last year. I assume @ least 12 next year, maybe more. TSSAA web site list 14 teams in D2AA last year. How is the "quantity of teams" statement backing your argument?

Publics/TSSAA pushed the smaller privates into D2A. Why, because they had an unfair advantage. An unfair advantage would possibly lead to what? Winning more games, I assume? If they were good enough to worry about by placing the highest multiplier in the country........why now are they weak after being forced out?

Why even go down the road of combining all teams, 3/4 classes, etc, etc. Is that not what we had years ago? Why did it fall apart? If all the small privates are weak, why was there a need for a multiplier?

Face it....this is and always will be about one thing. Publics want to beat Privates. When this stopped happening, the multiplier was put into effect and all was well in PublicLand. When the smaller privates got tired of it and left......they are now weak and playing in a watered down league. I may be wrong......but I think that I read that ANY school, public or private, could opt to go D2. If it was so weak......there would be a ton of publics making the jump so they could win. Let me guess....It would not be fair, because the Privates can offer aid......Is it just me or am I the only one that sees the hypocritical circle involved in this logic.

JMO

I have to agree with your assessment. I haven't had a whole lot to say about USJ and JCS leaving for D2-A but it seems to me all the other sports at those two schools were "thrown under the bus" for the sake of football. Am I wrong?

JMO

Just got the email that USJ Board of Directors has voted to go D II starting with 2009 season. USJ has been assured that they will be playing in West TN Small School Div in all sports. Email states that numerous Private Schools currently in DI are getting ready to make the same move. I am interested, as a parent, how this is all going to play out for Private schools involved and the public schools. Let the discussions begin.....again...

Hey Old Timer...Could you please explain from what you have heard were the main reason(s) USJ decided to move to Div. II? I don`t really understand it. I`m sure football had a lot to do with it, but IMO USJ can compete where they are now in Div. I. Contrary to what many others in their region think (that USJ hasn`t fared well in 2A because they are playing better competition) I know that the truth of the matter is that the year USJ moved to 2A marked the beginning of a dry spell athlete wise at the school. In most years before that USJ would have competed very well in their 2A region and even won a region championship or two because they were just that good.

Hey Old Timer...Could you please explain from what you have heard were the main reason(s) USJ decided to move to Div. II? I don`t really understand it. I`m sure football had a lot to do with it, but IMO USJ can compete where they are now in Div. I. Contrary to what many others in their region think (that USJ hasn`t fared well in 2A because they are playing better competition) I know that the truth of the matter is that the year USJ moved to 2A marked the beginning of a dry spell athlete wise at the school. In most years before that USJ would have competed very well in their 2A region and even won a region championship or two because they were just that good.

VG, all I can say is that the decision is obviously directly related to the success of the FB & BB programs since the inception of the multiplier, which has been nil. USJ has always strived to play better competition and has won against better competition in all sports except for FB & BB since the multiplier. I don't like the move to DII, because it appears that we can't play with the multiplier. Name a sport at USJ that hasn't been successful with the multiplier other than FB & BB? Obviously, we have a few making the rules for the masses (sounds just like politics). As for your other observation, again, yes it has been down a few years in the numbers of "quality" athletes at the school, but once again only related to FB & BB (however they have a good class coming up). Baseball, soccer, softball, tennis, golf, volleyball, etc. have all been successful over the last several years. But as you and I both know, football is king; brings in the revenue; and therefore, makes the rules.....to heck with all of the other sports and athletes......

Ok, now I have a question........DII allows aid/scholarships to be given to athletes, correct? Where does that money come from? I just think a whole can of worms is getting ready to be opened, but I am not sure what it is going to involve and how the school/parents handle it.

I have to agree with your assessment. I haven't had a whole lot to say about USJ and JCS leaving for D2-A but it seems to me all the other sports at those two schools were "thrown under the bus" for the sake of football. Am I wrong?

JMO

The fact is that all the JCS coaches who offered input favored the move to DII. No one was thrown under the wheels of the bus.

As far as I am aware, there is little to no financial aid offered. I know in the past we have offered assistance to "Salama" which was for inner city students. The thrust of Salama was more for academics, leadership and the arts, so CPA was a good fit as our Fine Arts program is really excellent. Salama now have their own institute which is partly supported by Christ Presbyterian Church.

We are a relatively new school and don't have a lot of endowments to even offer aid. We hope to keep tuition at a level that does not push it out of range for regular families. Of course if financial aid was offered, the student would be ineligible to play competitive sports.

So, please clarify. Does CPA offer any need based financial aid?