Signal Mtn. School

RiverCityRage

It is a big topic of conversation around Chattanooga, on and off the message boards. When the coach was at Soddy-Daisy, Red Bank supporters implied he "recruited" players who would have been at their program, including a starting quarterback if I remember right. An article just in the paper yesterday stated the school didn't accept out of zone students except from a couple of underperforming middle schools in Chattanooga, that wouldn't affect the high school portion of the school. An earlier article stated athletes on the football team previously attended basically every private school in Chattanooga plus Red Bank (their zoned school if not attending a private), and added "as well as other schools" but only listed Brainerd among the "others." Who are the others, who knows, nothing has been mentioned on it since. Their supporters' cockiness over beating junior varsity programs by big scores only adds to the uproar.

It is kind of funny that you never mentioned the Soddy Daisy rumors until now. Could it be you just don't like Signal Mountain?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not at all. I'm not the one who started this topic and there are lots of posts regarding Signal Mountain in the regular 1A-3A football board. There have been questions about the school such as where they're getting in some players-with published reports stating their school is open only to students in their community-running it up against JV squads to impress other parents to send players there and now there's talk about trying to stay at a Class A, 1A level until next year, after classifications for the next four years are put together. So far the questions remain unanswered.

• 2 weeks later...

There are valid questions about those two as well. Maryville would have answered a lot of them by playing up to 5A. Here's one example of what I meant about Signal Mountain, after their game against Ridgeland GA's JV Friday someone gets on the Red Zone and starts crowing about scoring something around 50 points, putting up 500 yards, etc. When he's told that was a JV group he disregards that fact and continues to go on about how great Signal Mountain is. These freshmen and non-starting sophomores they're beating badly will remember it when the varsity games start next year and in future seasons.

I guess they get what they wanted. The TSSAA has their enrollment at 454 which should be enough for Class A even if a few private schools go Division II. That was about the number the Chattanooga Free Press listed for them the other day, but it includes no senior class and what was called a very small junior class. They'll get to play A for two years regardless of how much their four-class enrollment is next year and the year after, a 20 percent+ change would move them up but not for two years. They should go on their projected enrollment in 2009.

I guess they get what they wanted. The TSSAA has their enrollment at 454 which should be enough for Class A even if a few private schools go Division II. That was about the number the Chattanooga Free Press listed for them the other day, but it includes no senior class and what was called a very small junior class. They'll get to play A for two years regardless of how much their four-class enrollment is next year and the year after, a 20 percent+ change would move them up but not for two years. They should go on their projected enrollment in 2009.

For the purposes of classification, the TSSAA will take the average class size for the classes they do have and then project the total for a full high school. They have done that with a few of the other schools in the past - especially if the classes will be filled within the next period.

EDIT: I just saw the thread with the enrollment numbers and the TSSAA's extra considerations - of which, Signal Mtn. isn't listed (extra considerations that is). It will be interesting to see how that plays out.