Casey Clausen

Does anyone find it odd that Casey Clausen did not make the preseason SEC team? Is he even a heisman candidate? I know hes a good qb, but Grossman is better, but is Manning better? Manning's team didn't even go to a bowl last year and they lost to a horrible Mississippi State team to finish 7-4...

ESPN has rated Byron Leftwich from Marshall as the top player in the nation. I believe David Ragone from Louisville might be the next in terms of qbs. Grossman, Manning, and then Dorsey followed I believe.

I don't think Clausen has put up better numbers then Grossman or Dorsey? I like Ragone and his size I think hes like 6'4 6'5 and 254 lbs now. Ragone has won the last 2 CUSA offensive player awards...NFL qb wise I just don't see where Clausen fits, hes not a scrambler, hes a guy that really plays within himself, doesn't make mistakes...but not the new age qb like a Kordell, McNair, McNabb, Vick, Quincy Carter...maybe he will grow up to be as accurate as a Warner or Gannon, but that would be really hard...I think he made the correct decision in staying, and think he might need to wait another year.

Posted by Sequatchie:

In Phil Steele's College Football Preview he has Casey Clausen as 1st Team All-American as well as the leading Heistman Candidate. But he also has Tennessee ranked #1 with Jason Witten as the 1st team AA Tightend.

I think Witten is more of a First Team candidate than Clausen is given the national competition at the QB position. But Clausen is a heck of a competitor. I think Witten can have the same draft success that Jeremy Shockey out of Miami (FL) did this year (he had a great game tonight, albeit versus the Texans).

I'm just not sold on Eli yet - not because I favor Tennessee and Peyton. Eli is obviously skilled, but from everything I hear, including from people closer to the Mannings than I would ever be, he doesn't have the instincts and burning desire that Peyton has (not that he doesn't have either; just not on the level of Peyton). He's still good though, and will be drafted in the NFL, but I don't see two Pro Bowls in his first four years. I think being a first year starter will be a stretch for Eli.

[Edited by rollredroll on 8-5-02 11:02P]

I love ESPN to death but Leftwich isn't even close to the best player in the nation. He does put up good numbers but he is in a pretty easy conference. If you put Grossman, Dorsey or Clausen on Marshall they would tear it up also. My top Heisman candidate's are Grossman and Dorsey unless one of them gets hurt I'll bet one of them will win it.