19U AAU nationals

clipper

Just some thoughts on this weeks tournament. UT signee Stanley Asumnu is going to be a top notch SEC player. CJ Watson is also, but he does not seem quite as polished as Asumnu. He is, however very, very quick, particularly with his hands. He was able to get quite a few steals. As I type this the Thunder team (w/ UT signees) is preparing to play N.C. The Carolina team is led by two very impressive players. Ray Felton at point and Rashad McCants at 3/4. I,m anxious to see how Watson and Felton match up. I think Asumnu and McCants with match with each other also. Both NC players are committed to the Tarheels. I saw NC play 3 time this week and the fewest points McCants got was 36. Some kind of shooter!

The Memphis team has a guard #25, who is in range when he crosses the half line. He also had two of the nastiest dunks I have seen while playin the Tn. Storm in a cake walk for Memphis.

One of the most impressive things I saw all week was the TN Thunder-Williams(not the UT team) team play NC. The game was not close BUT Thunder played as hard at the end of the game as they did at the beginning. The Thunder looked like their 17U team and they were over matched talent wise but not in determination. The Thunder team should be proud of it's effort. Several other teams gave up when the score was lopsided but not these guys. Who is #44 for the Thunder. He is a stud. #10 played hard also as did several others.

The Cecil Kirk team out of Maryland looked good. As did the Martin Bros. out of Iowa.

Guest defref

watson G with loads of ability. He can shoot of the dribble extremely well,pass the length of the court ( like Jason Kidd) can will be a major player in the SEC.He also is a very good defensive player who rebounds alot also. HE is very smart on and off the court.

asumnu F amazing athelete. Has range for 30ft. He is so fun to watch. He can take over a game when he wants and I didn't see anyone in the whole Jr. Olympics that could check him.He plays extremely hard on defence. But he should have made that two- handed windmill. I would have!!!!!

Winchester G who can jump out of the building ( maybe over it). He can pay pg some but he has got a stroke from the three point range that is deadly. He is a great defender also.

Hearndon C ( Needs some whoppers some say) but for a big man has real good hands and post moves. He rebounds well and at 6'11 ( I'm not willing to give you an inch) he can block and misdirect alot of shots. Can dribble but just not as graceful as he thinks.

Overall these four players will make every UT game exciting and i will make it to every game over the next four years to see them. But anyway the loss to North Carolina was tough 102-97 but they kinda got cheated on some calls ( but i'm not a ref i just play one on here) they had thier chances, but i think that they all learned about and from each other in AAU and that will make UT and Coach Peterson look that much better.

From an unbiased opinion on the Tennesse recruits.

Watson-I think he can be a good if not really good point guard in the sec. He needs to gain stregth and get much more consistent on his outside jumper. I believe he will be a set up man for a year or so then develop his offense. He got abused by FELTON.

ASUMNU- He has unlimited athletic potential, but was about 4-20 from the field until his spurt in the latted part of the second half. H e has a great body and can pack 0 pounds on it easily. He is very explosive and should be the best of the bunch.

Winchester- He is very streaky and cannot guard anyone. a superb athlete but one dimensional. Will not have much impact with his very slight frame.

Herndon- I was totally unimpressed with Boomer until the championshiop game in which he played very well and showed signs of potential inside play. He has poor hands and need strength badly, but he works hard and seems to have a great attitude and will be a productive player in the sec.

Understand this an observers opinion who scouts basketball all over the country. I think these guys will definetely make the Tennessee basketball program more productive and if you could get Coach Peterson to recruit in state you could have a dynamite haul in the years to come.

Guest ballyhoo
Winchester- He is very streaky and cannot guard anyone.

I disagree - In the semi-final game, John locked down nationwide top 50 player and Iowa signee Jeff Horner(PG). He was able to disrupt them to the point they couldn't even run their offense. His defense was huge in the Thunder win against Martin Brothers.

At times during the Gater game, Winchester played defense in the frontcourt, that may have been what you saw. He wasn't assigned to Felton, but he did guard him a few times and Felton couldn't get by him. Since you scout players, you know how good Felton is.

Guest CoachLon
Posted by ballyhoo:
Winchester- He is very streaky and cannot guard anyone.

I disagree - In the semi-final game, John locked down nationwide top 50 player and Iowa signee Jeff Horner(PG). He was able to disrupt them to the point they couldn't even run their offense. His defense was huge in the Thunder win against Martin Brothers.

At times during the Gater game, Winchester played defense in the frontcourt, that may have been what you saw. He wasn't assigned to Felton, but he did guard him a few times and Felton couldn't get by him. Since you scout players, you know how good Felton is.

Guest CoachLon

Sorry about that Guys, I don't post often. Regarding John Winchester. I also dissagree. He is a very good defensive player. We specifically requested he guard the point for Martin Brothers and he did a great job when he was in. He forced him to his right and took away his usual assists.

In the Thunder/NC game, I have Felton for 17 pts. That is far below his usual point totals and a tribute to John's and CJ's defense.

Both John and CJ are Great defensively, you will see that throughout their Tennessee careers.

No excuses, but you should note.

Boomer had a severe high ankle sprain that the trainer thought may have been fractured. He was x-ray'd and cleared to play hours before the first game. He still averaged double figures in points and rebounds and about six to seven blocks per game. In the final against large and talented post players (3), he socred 30 on 12 of 16 with 6 of 8 from the free throw line. He also had 13 rebounds and eight blocked shots.

Stanley Asumnu had a quiet 40 pts against the Martin Brothers Select team and showed tremendous athleticism throughout the tournament. He will be a force in the SEC. Go see him quick, he won't be there for four years.

John Winchester is a great defender. See coach lon's post above. He has phenominal jumping ability as evidenced against the Ohio Stars. A guy broke away for a dunk... John caught him and went up to block the shot, hanging in mid air for what seemed to be ten seconds before spiking the guys shot to the floor. John had to put his off hand against the back board to keep from hitting his face against it. He took, and made key shots throughout the tournament and is a fierce competitor.

Brian "Penny" Collins showed great potential and led the team well. He and Josh Goodwin will help put Belmont University on the map.

CJ Watson, Billy May, Josh Goodwin, Mitch Webb and Danny Wicke, Yance Baker (upcoming senior), Bobby Jenkins and Ron Bowers all played consistently well and showed why they were chosen to be a part of this strong team.

hoopscoopdre?... It appears you have formed opinions based on one or two games. I coached these guys over an entire summer. You are sorely mistaken in many of your "opinions."

Gary Herndon

coach - Tennessee Thunder :):D

I apologize for offending any Tennessee fans, but I believe I said good things about Watson, Asumnu, and Herndon. I think these are opinions and I agree that others should voice there's. I have not seen as much of the three out of state recruits as I have of Boomer. I will say that my opinions are based on the games at the tournament and the discussion between recruiting people elsewhere. I am not bashing Mr. Winchester I just thought he was kinda slight to make much of an impact immediately. I hope this clarifies my statements and I appreciate the devotion of the Tennessee fans for their players that is commendable. I also was not aware of the injury to Herndon who played brilliantly in the final. I said he could be a good player in the Sec. I really think that. I also think Yance Baker the underclasseman is very solid and have mentioned his name many times to lower d-1 schools inquiring about guards.