Let's talk Cougar ball

rebelrebelman

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just came from the South thread and thought I'd share some perspective.

Siegar from Holston Middle(sp?) should have been hired to coach Central when Nelson was hired. He has proven himself at Holston as a quality head coach. What had Nelson done before Central hired him? I hear politics went a long way to determining his fate. Some influential boosters wanted their kids to play specific positions and didn't feel Siegar would bow to their wills. At Holston he put players in positions to give the TEAM the best chance to win. Not necessarily their preferred positions. The kids from Holston in this year's Central senior class beat Colonial Heights in the county championship game when when they were 8th graders on South's field. Now they can't win a game! Give me a break! Clearly the ball is getting dropped after the kids leave Seeger's tutelage. How many drubbings must Central kids and fans endure before the adults do something about it?

This is true that Holston beat Colonial Heights in that game. It was a great game. Allot of Carl Roberts running the ball and a huge amount of Taylor Fletcher running the ball. I think it was the only game CHMS lost in about 3 or 4 years so the Eagles and their fans were pumped and deservidly so. I know the current CHMS Junior class went undefeated, winning the 1st Area 1 Championship the next year beating Harmon and Vance the next year. Great game as well.

Anyway, I remember sitting in the stands and leaning over to the guy next to me and predicting the fake punt that the Holston coach called. That play iced the game. Nice coaching job there and the entire game. Would his coaching translate to the high school game, I dont know. He certainly outcoached CHMS on that day.

Of course, this leads me to another possible cause that keeps of the Cougar program down. Can anyone remember how many kids were on those Holston teams (current Junior and then senior classes)? Then, how many were on the Blountville Middle teams those years? I bet there were 35 to 40 on each team, each year -----> 70 to 80 kids to feed into Central's freshman team the each following year....? Nope. If my memory serves me, the current junior class had 19 kids the next year under Coach Hooks reign. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> Whats up with that kind of drop in participation? Personally, if I was a Cougar booster, I think I'd wonder about the AD what is going on during the school transisiton.

Oh, and by the way, that Holston over CHMS game, and the fake punt for a TD... was a pass to Patrick Albright who has focused on basketball at Central. Our family thinks allot of Patrick and he always speaks to us at the games and track meets, but I wonder how much influence the BBall coach had on this... Heck even the Great Buck Van Huss at DB allowed his basketball players to play football. Mr. Van Huss did make 'em work their way back into playing time, but he did let them play two sports.

My two cents...

This is true that Holston beat Colonial Heights in that game. It was a great game. Allot of Carl Roberts running the ball and a huge amount of Taylor Fletcher running the ball. I think it was the only game CHMS lost in about 3 or 4 years so the Eagles and their fans were pumped and deservidly so. I know the current CHMS Junior class went undefeated, winning the 1st Area 1 Championship the next year beating Harmon and Vance the next year. Great game as well.

Anyway, I remember sitting in the stands and leaning over to the guy next to me and predicting the fake punt that the Holston coach called. That play iced the game. Nice coaching job there and the entire game. Would his coaching translate to the high school game, I dont know. He certainly outcoached CHMS on that day.

Of course, this leads me to another possible cause that keeps of the Cougar program down. Can anyone remember how many kids were on those Holston teams (current Junior and then senior classes)? Then, how many were on the Blountville Middle teams those years? I bet there were 35 to 40 on each team, each year -----> 70 to 80 kids to feed into Central's freshman team the each following year....? Nope. If my memory serves me, the current junior class had 19 kids the next year under Coach Hooks reign. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> Whats up with that kind of drop in participation? Personally, if I was a Cougar booster, I think I'd wonder about the AD what is going on during the school transisiton.

Oh, and by the way, that Holston over CHMS game, and the fake punt for a TD... was a pass to Patrick Albright who has focused on basketball at Central. Our family thinks allot of Patrick and he always speaks to us at the games and track meets, but I wonder how much influence the BBall coach had on this... Heck even the Great Buck Van Huss at DB allowed his basketball players to play football. Mr. Van Huss did make 'em work their way back into playing time, but he did let them play two sports.

My two cents...

Great reply. I too was at that game. I recall Holston had a pretty solid QB whose last name is Moretz. He's now at South. Hence my comments about Seegar putting people in the positions they needed to be in to help the team. Roberts was, and my guess still is, a great running back but certain influential want him at QB. Moretz was a very solid QB who started the better part of 2 years at Central. My guess is if Central had Moretz at QB, Roberts at RB, and Mcglotilin at receiver they would be on worse than a one loss team right now. Coaches need to be able to stand for what's best for the team, not a few individuals.

one thing about roberts....there is no quit in him. can't say the same for the other.

Don't understand your response. As a Rebel fan I don't know how you can call a kid who leaves unlimited time at Central to come to South and compete for playing time a quitter. South is loaded and to think you can come in as a senior and garner significant playing time is corageous at best. Maybe the kid loves stiff competition more than losing.

There is no one thing that is wrong at Central, but many. The BB coach does threaten the players, "that they will lose their spot if they play other sports". This starts in their freshman year. As stated in earlier posts, there are a lot of politics at Central. I think the coaches at Bltv. and Holston do a good job, and I think they should have been considered when the position at Central came open. As we all know, it is the ole buddy system. Not only was he hired as the head coach, the Administration appointed him AD. I could go on and on about the Administration, but not here. In an earlier post, workouts should be made mandatory with coaches pushing them. I'm sure Carter, Stubbs, Clark doesn't just leave it up to the players to do their workouts. It is a shame to go from Middle School champions at Holston and a good competitive team at Bltv. in the 8th grade to possibly not winning a game their senior year.

There is no one thing that is wrong at Central, but many. The BB coach does threaten the players, "that they will lose their spot if they play other sports". This starts in their freshman year. As stated in earlier posts, there are a lot of politics at Central. I think the coaches at Bltv. and Holston do a good job, and I think they should have been considered when the position at Central came open. As we all know, it is the ole buddy system. Not only was he hired as the head coach, the Administration appointed him AD. I could go on and on about the Administration, but not here. In an earlier post, workouts should be made mandatory with coaches pushing them. I'm sure Carter, Stubbs, Clark doesn't just leave it up to the players to do their workouts. It is a shame to go from Middle School champions at Holston and a good competitive team at Bltv. in the 8th grade to possibly not winning a game their senior year.

If Seegar can motivate at the middle school level why not in high school. No doubt he could! Did Nelson ever have success at the middle school level? Not from what I've heard. If Seegar had been named head coach I have no doubt some of the kids who no longer play football would be on the field. Lets call them the quitters, not those still competing at the high school level, albeit at a school other than Central. Don't get me wrong, if a kid has extraordinary skills at a sport other than football why risk injury in football. However most of the kids who opt not to play at Central are not getting scholarships in other sports.

I have read all these posts and wanted to add my two cents in. My opinion is that Winchell needs to be behind center starting this week. He needs some experience for the next two years to be successful. Roberts is a good QB but a better RB. McGlothlin is a good RB but probably a better WR and less likely to sustain injury. There are others that need to be on the field getting experience also and not standing on the sidelines. The Cougars are a little banged up but still have some players to play. The so-called D1 TE/DE hasn't shown me anything yet. There is a difference in being recruited to play ball rather than being recruited as a great student. No disrespect intended there. Coach Seegar is a GREAT MS Coach who has the credentials to prove it, but does he Really want to give up a job where he has total control and great assistant coaches with good morals to go to CHS and be around some coaches and staff there who have no morals at all? Think about that...

I have read all these posts and wanted to add my two cents in. My opinion is that Winchell needs to be behind center starting this week. He needs some experience for the next two years to be successful. Roberts is a good QB but a better RB. McGlothlin is a good RB but probably a better WR and less likely to sustain injury. There are others that need to be on the field getting experience also and not standing on the sidelines. The Cougars are a little banged up but still have some players to play. The so-called D1 TE/DE hasn't shown me anything yet. There is a difference in being recruited to play ball rather than being recruited as a great student. No disrespect intended there. Coach Seegar is a GREAT MS Coach who has the credentials to prove it, but does he Really want to give up a job where he has total control and great assistant coaches with good morals to go to CHS and be around some coaches and staff there who have no morals at all? Think about that...

Excellent point. Perhaps Seegar could clean up the mess. Your point is much the same as mine. Roberts at RB, McGlothlin at receiver and an experienced Moretz at QB and this team is a playoff contender. If the coaches had not bowed to some influential demands/preferences it could be so. Until the Central admin steps up and supports it's coaches it's a lost cause.

Hate to burst your bubble but he's practing at South.

No bubble bursted. Glad he's there. I meant south to begin with.

Also...if anyone pays attention to the facts, and quits hating on Roberts for five seconds, Moretz did not win ONE SINGLE GAME during his starts. That's what?? 0-16? Where's this quality and value everyone speaks of?

Either this is a thread full of nothing but his new rebel friends, or just a thread of him making several different usernames to talk himself up. Take your pick.

Also...if anyone pays attention to the facts, and quits hating on Roberts for five seconds, Moretz did not win ONE SINGLE GAME during his starts. That's what?? 0-16? Where's this quality and value everyone speaks of?

Either this is a thread full of nothing but his new rebel friends, or just a thread of him making several different usernames to talk himself up. Take your pick.

This appears to be mostly a parent/supporter board. I don't see how any of the players could be on posting to these topics during the times these posts were made. I think the players from both schools would have been at school or practice during these hours.

You didn't get my point. If Seegar had been coach, Roberts had been a healthy running back, Moretz at QB, McGlothlin at receiver things could, and probably would, have been different. Not just this year but in previous years. I have no dog in this fight except an independent observer with ties to both South and Central. My threads have said nothing negative about Roberts, Moretz or McGlothlin. Your reply however is indicative of bias.