big 9 basketball

unc1

It's been my experience that point guards have to dribble. If Coach Vaughn can pull off playing Austin Box at point guard, then hats off to that son of a gun. I'm kind of tired of everyone on here picking out random players on the bench and saying "If this guy can step up, then I think this team will be tough!" Well, of course they'll be tough, but the problem is if a player hasn't proved himself in freshman or JV, then I don't think his senior season will be his coming out party.

As everyone knows I'm not a big Central fan. But, if Vaughn has put this kid on the varsity I'm sure he has seen something in him. From what I have seen he is a good coach and knows what he is doing. How do you know so much about Central being a South fan?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been at volunteers practices before and Coach Whitt has never told the players to go after other players. If you all are talking about what happened last year at DB when Javian Shivers ran into that guy then you all need to know that that was an accident. He wasn't trying to knock that guy down. He was just trying to block the shot. So before you start saying things about Coach Whitt maybe you need to go sit at a practice and listen to what he says before you accuse him of saying things that he doesn't.

So bear hugging and wrapping both legs around the guy was just an accident? Must be a new shot blocking technique I don't yet know about.

No one looked foolish last year. The incident with Javian will stay with this program for a while, because people like you will not be able to move on from negative gossip. I did not see you but one time on the DB Football board and talk about their negative incident and talk about it time and time and time and time and time again like you have with Volunteer. Oh yeah...... it did not involve a Volunteer or a Falcon. This season has a great group of kids that worked their butts off and deserve to be looked at with fresh eyes. New year, new kids, new season, move on and grow up. You ARE a year older. GOD Bless.

I'll agree that this years Falcons do deserve to be looked at with fresh eyes. But I came away from the Unicoi game with the impression that this years group looks no different from the past few years. I kinda lost count, but it was something like 1 technical on Coach Whitt, and 2 flagrant fouls on the team.

As everyone knows I'm not a big Central fan. But, if Vaughn has put this kid on the varsity I'm sure he has seen something in him. From what I have seen he is a good coach and knows what he is doing. How do you know so much about Central being a South fan?

I watch a lot of games, and since Central is usually pretty competitive, they come up on my must-watch games more often. It's not hard, guy. Watch a few games, I saw 5 or 6 last year and Box saw playing time in every game. He didn't score in any game I watched, and had a few turnovers. I can judge a player's dribbling abilities, and his aren't where a point guard's needs to be. I watch the lay up lines in warm ups, without fail, he missed more lay ups than anyone on the team. I'm not bashing Box, but these are the facts. He's a football player, not a basketball player. I don't know why Vaughn has him on the team, maybe he likes his energy and effort, or maybe he thinks he can make him a good player. But just because he's on the team doesn't mean I'm supposed to think "the kid can play and be a factor." You want a factor? Try the starting five, plus Hyden, plus Winchell. Vaughn is a good coach with an impressive resume, he has a good starting five, and Central will probably be 3rd in the conference. I'm not bashing Central or Vaughn, cause both are good. But seriously, there's been 2 other people on here who have commented on Box's ball handling, one of them apparently is a Central fan (FreddyCoougar.) If we have Central people saying, "Hey, this kid can't dribble" then by god there might be a pattern going on. I'm pretty sure you just want to antagonize me, but I'll play along. Jared Harrison, who I consider the best coach around here and it's a shame he's not coaching high school, cut Box from the middle school team. I'm going to take Harrison's cut, combined with what I've seen from watching Central play, and make a solid assessment. Again, I don't have a vendetta against the kid. If he could play, then I'd give him the credit he was due. I wouldn't just randomly pick him out and bash him. I saw him play point guard poorly throughout last season, and that's that. Rebelrebelman 1 - vikefan33/austin box- 0 + 5 turnovers.

I watch a lot of games, and since Central is usually pretty competitive, they come up on my must-watch games more often. It's not hard, guy. Watch a few games, I saw 5 or 6 last year and Box saw playing time in every game. He didn't score in any game I watched, and had a few turnovers. I can judge a player's dribbling abilities, and his aren't where a point guard's needs to be. I watch the lay up lines in warm ups, without fail, he missed more lay ups than anyone on the team. I'm not bashing Box, but these are the facts. He's a football player, not a basketball player. I don't know why Vaughn has him on the team, maybe he likes his energy and effort, or maybe he thinks he can make him a good player. But just because he's on the team doesn't mean I'm supposed to think "the kid can play and be a factor." You want a factor? Try the starting five, plus Hyden, plus Winchell. Vaughn is a good coach with an impressive resume, he has a good starting five, and Central will probably be 3rd in the conference. I'm not bashing Central or Vaughn, cause both are good. But seriously, there's been 2 other people on here who have commented on Box's ball handling, one of them apparently is a Central fan (FreddyCoougar.) If we have Central people saying, "Hey, this kid can't dribble" then by god there might be a pattern going on. I'm pretty sure you just want to antagonize me, but I'll play along. Jared Harrison, who I consider the best coach around here and it's a shame he's not coaching high school, cut Box from the middle school team. I'm going to take Harrison's cut, combined with what I've seen from watching Central play, and make a solid assessment. Again, I don't have a vendetta against the kid. If he could play, then I'd give him the credit he was due. I wouldn't just randomly pick him out and bash him. I saw him play point guard poorly throughout last season, and that's that. Rebelrebelman 1 - vikefan33/austin box- 0 + 5 turnovers.

Wow, is all I can say.lol.

Even brought out middle school statements. lol. You seem to know a lot about him!

He'll play this year, no doubt, I'm not sure where he'll fit in the rotation with Harmon off the bench. Vaughn seems to be playing Harmon quiet a bit. Box will get his chance to prove everyone wrong, and earn playing time. We'll see how the year goes. Let him get healthy and see what he can do, that'll be a fair test to see if he can contribute. For now, I think Harmon will see more "backup" time than Box at this point.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!! What has this kid done to you. Did he steal your girlfriend or something? Oh I have it, he must have beat you in a game of one on one. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

WOW!!!!!!!!!!! What has this kid done to you. Did he steal your girlfriend or something? Oh I have it, he must have beat you in a game of one on one. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

That is my point exactly. He didn't do anything to me. I said if he could play then I wouldn't have an ill word about him. I've never met the kid personally, so maybe he's a saint or something. But I do like my chances against him in one on one. I don't play much defense, though, that might be a problem. Oh wait, nobody plays any on Box, either.

You seem to know a lot about Holston, and now you are a REBEL. That sounds really familiar to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gotcha.

That is my point exactly. He didn't do anything to me. I said if he could play then I wouldn't have an ill word about him. I've never met the kid personally, so maybe he's a saint or something. But I do like my chances against him in one on one. I don't play much defense, though, that might be a problem. Oh wait, nobody plays any on Box, either.

Thats pretty BIG of you talking down about a kid that you don't even know. I didn't say in my other post that he would start or play alot. I simply stated that he COULD help out the backcourt at times. If he can give one of them a break for even 2 to 3 min. it would help. Quit bashing Box he showed alot of improvement over the summer just wait and see. IMO the Harmon kid can't handle it YET. He's too flashy and he needs to play within himself not like he's in the NBA. When he matures a liitle more he'll be right there with the best, maybe next year.

Thats pretty BIG of you talking down about a kid that you don't even know. I didn't say in my other post that he would start or play alot. I simply stated that he COULD help out the backcourt at times. If he can give one of them a break for even 2 to 3 min. it would help. Quit bashing Box he showed alot of improvement over the summer just wait and see. IMO the Harmon kid can't handle it YET. He's too flashy and he needs to play within himself not like he's in the NBA. When he matures a liitle more he'll be right there with the best, maybe next year.

Dude, I don't bash boxes, that's what a baler is for.