big 9 basketball

unc1

If you guys remember, the senior class this year at Sullivan East and Sullivan Central has the Mary Hughes and Holston teams that played in the State Championship game in Middle School. Cross was playing on the Mary Hughes team as a 6th grader.

If I may, there is no such thing as a Middle School State Champion or a Middle School State Tournament. The TSSAA has, for the past decade, operated a Middle School division of athletics under the authority of the TMSAA. Under this body, the state is broken down into three grand divisions (East, Middle, West), then into Areas (basically regions) inside each grand division. When post season tournaments begin (as the TMSSAA is not organized like the TSSAA during playoffs) schools are broken down into Small and Large Divisions, dependent upon enrollment. The East grand division is broken down into 6 areas for a total of 109 schools. The East grand division (for reasons unknown to me) is first broken down into two regions, Northeast (Areas 1-4) and Southeast (Areas 5-6). The Northeast Region break down is as follows:

Area 1 (30 Schools - 8 counties)

Carter - 3

Cocke - 1

Greene - 3

Hawkins - 4

Jefferson - 2

Sullivan - 12

Washington - 3

Unicoi - 2

Area 2 (27 schools - 7 counties)

Anderson - 2

Campbell - 8

Claiborne - 3

Morgan - 4

Roane - 3

Scott - 4

Union - 1

Area 3 (12 schools - 2 counties)

Cocke - 1

Sevier- 11

Area 4 (17 schools - 6 counties)

Blount - 5

Knox - 1

Loudon - 3

McMinn - 1

Monroe - 1

Roane - 6

The Northeast Region consists of 86 schools who are then broken down into Small and Large Divisions. The Northeast Regions sectional tournament is played in Pigeon Forge each year and crowns two champions (one small and one large). Holston Middle School won the Northeast Region Small Division Championship in 2004 and 2005. Mary Hughes Middle School won the Northeast Region Small Division Championship in 2006.

You were correct that they were champions, feats worth commending, just not actual state champions. Obviously I overanalyzed all of this a bit, but it is somewhat educational.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WaCo I respect you for your realism, but name those four teams.

Science Hill

Tennessee High

East

Central

Theres just to many "bad things" attached to this DB team. I know everybody is real high on coach Morgan, and he did do a good job coaching the Indians last year. This years team doesn't play like a well coached team.

Science Hill

Tennessee High

East

Central

Theres just to many "bad things" attached to this DB team. I know everybody is real high on coach Morgan, and he did do a good job coaching the Indians last year. This years team doesn't play like a well coached team.

I suppose we'll find out this week with Tennessee High and Sullivan East coming to Buck Van Huss. You plan on attending?

Big 9 Conference Scoreboard ??“ Week of Dec. 8-Dec. 13

(brought to you by tricitiessportsfan)

Tuesday, December 9

Sullivan Central 55, Dobyns Bennett 51

Sullivan East 58, Sullivan South 44

Tennessee High 54, Daniel Boone 50 ??“ OT

Volunteer 54, David Crockett 52

Wednesday, December 10

Science Hill 78, Volunteer 62

Friday, December 12

Science Hill 63, Sullivan South 45

Sullivan East 90, Sullivan Central 62

Daniel Boone 55, David Crockett 36

Saturday, December 13

Science Hill 60, Cherokee 25

----------------------------------------

Big 9 Conference Standings as of Dec. 14

Team, Conference Record (Overall Record)

Science Hill, 3-0 (11-1)

Tennessee High, 3-0 (6-3)

Sullivan East, 3-1 (8-2)

Dobyns Bennett, 2-1 (6-1)

Sullivan Central, 2-2 (5-3)

Volunteer, 1-2 (3-6)

Sullivan South, 1-3 (4-6)

Daniel Boone, 1-3 (2-5)

David Crockett, 0-4 (2-8)

Big 9 Conference Schedule ??“ Remaining Pre-Holidays Schedule

Monday, December 15

Tennessee High @ Dobyns Bennett

University High @ Volunteer

Tuesday, December 16

Daniel Boone @ Science Hill

Sullivan South @ Sullivan Central*

David Crockett @ Sullivan East*

Friday, December 19

Sullivan East @ Dobyns Bennett

Tennessee High @ Science Hill ??“ Freedom Hall

Monday, December 22

Cherokee @ Dobyns Bennett

Volunteer @ Tennessee High

Sullivan North @ Sullivan South

John Battle, VA @ Sullivan Central

*Game was moved to Tuesday due to Sullivan County moving exams back a day.

tricitiessportsfan Picks:

Monday, December 15

Dobyns Bennett over Tennessee High

Tuesday, December 16

Science Hill over Daniel Boone

Sullivan Central over Sullivan South

Sullivan East over David Crockett

Friday, December 19

Dobyns Bennett over Sullivan East

Science Hill over Tennessee High

Monday, December 22

Tennessee High over Volunteer

tricitiessportsfan Pick??™em record (as of Dec. 14): 13-3*

*Note of Interest: Two of my three pick??™em losses come from picking against Sullivan East.

Big 9 Conference Scoreboard ??“ Week of Dec. 8-Dec. 13

(brought to you by tricitiessportsfan)

Tuesday, December 9

Sullivan Central 55, Dobyns Bennett 51

Sullivan East 58, Sullivan South 44

Tennessee High 54, Daniel Boone 50 ??“ OT

Volunteer 54, David Crockett 52

Wednesday, December 10

Science Hill 78, Volunteer 62

Friday, December 12

Science Hill 63, Sullivan South 45

Sullivan East 90, Sullivan Central 62

Daniel Boone 55, David Crockett 36

Saturday, December 13

Science Hill 60, Cherokee 25

Big 9 Conference Standings as of Dec. 14

Team, Conference Record (Overall Record)

Science Hill, 3-0 (11-1)

Tennessee High, 3-0 (6-3)

Sullivan East, 3-1 (8-2)

Dobyns Bennett, 2-1 (6-1)

Sullivan Central, 2-2 (5-3)

Volunteer, 1-2 (3-6)

Sullivan South, 1-3 (4-6)

Daniel Boone, 1-3 (2-5)

David Crockett, 0-4 (2-8)

Big 9 Conference Schedule ??“ Remaining Pre-Holidays Schedule

Monday, December 15

Tennessee High @ Dobyns Bennett

Sullivan East @ David Crockett

University High @ Volunteer

Tuesday, December 16

Daniel Boone @ Science Hill

Sullivan South @ Sullivan Central*

Friday, December 19

Sullivan East @ Dobyns Bennett

Tennessee High @ Science Hill ??“ Freedom Hall

Monday, December 22

Cherokee @ Dobyns Bennett

Volunteer @ Tennessee High

Sullivan North @ Sullivan South

John Battle, VA @ Sullivan Central

*Game was moved to Tuesday due to Sullivan County moving exams back a day.

tricitiessportsfan Picks:

Monday, December 15

Dobyns Bennett over Tennessee High

Sullivan East over David Crockett

Tuesday, December 16

Science Hill over Daniel Boone

Sullivan Central over Sullivan South

Friday, December 19

Dobyns Bennett over Sullivan East

Science Hill over Tennessee High

Monday, December 22

Tennessee High over Volunteer

tricitiessportsfan Pick??™em record (as of Dec. 14): 13-3*

*Note of Interest: Two of my three pick??™em losses come from picking against Sullivan East.

just a note they were handing out a paper at the east game friday the game with crockett has been changed to tues night at east due to floor problems at crockett. i also think volunteer will defeat th high the rest of your prediction my be true, are you saying east is better than expected?

just a note they were handing out a paper at the east game friday the game with crockett has been changed to tues night at east due to floor problems at crockett. i also think volunteer will defeat th high the rest of your prediction my be true, are you saying east is better than expected?

Your right about the date and site change for the Sullivan East and David Crockett game. I edited my post and made the change.

Yes, I believe Sullivan East is playing better than expected. I thought losing Snapp would hurt them in the area of team leadership, but apparently they haven't missed a beat.

I have to disagree with your prediction that Volunteer will beat Tennessee High. Volunteer has shown they can compete due to their hustle and style of play, but over four quarters it tends to take more out of them than it does their opponent. Plus the Vikings have Corey Young and Mason Canty, obvious mismatches for Volunteer. I believe the Vikings near loss at Daniel Boone opened their eyes a bit. With them playing at Dobyns Bennett and at Science Hill this week, look for them to right the ship against Volunteer.

Let's not discredit the fact the THS beat the team that beat the team, that beat the team. I'm hearing allot support jumping behind the Patriots of East but they were pretty much handled by the Vikings last week. My view on this is that Central just had it's day in the sun. They played one of their best games in a long while and it just happened to be on a night when a (much better IMO) DB team had one of its worst shooting nights of the season so far. Not to mention the fact that they obviously didn't take the Cougars seriously...by all accounts. Lets not get it twisted...DB is EASYLY one of the top two teams in this conference if not the best. East and Central are both shooting the ball well at this point, but you have to believe that after this week any coach in their right mind will make adjustments to stop the 3 ball from this point on. On the other hand it's not as easy to make adjustments for the obvious mismatches that the personnel on both SH and DB bring to the table.

He said to tricitiessports.com that he was glad his team finally got physical. We want to be the toughest team in the conference last year. He yells during a timeout last year at the Boone Tourney that there better not be another free layup. I don't care what you have to do or what happens to them. No more open layups. He even said it to a reporter.

How can you keep taking up for this guy? I can't wait till a player gets hurt after he tells his to do something like this and he and the school is sued for everything. He is telling players to hurt other teenagers. How can you defend that?

I have talked to his former players and they will tell you that he tells them that nobody better be more physical, no matter what, in practice.

It will keep coming up until something changes.

Noone is taking up for anybody. When you and others make false statements "He is telling players to hurt other teenagers.." there will be a reply. I can understand where some instances are considered agressive or even harsh play. But....these instances are from individuals. Last year, the only bad mark, which was VERY VERY VERY bad, was the Shivers incident at DB. If you can, name another incident from last year. Again...it was an individual and he was dealt with before the TSSAA even called. This year brought in a new team and a new attitude. When people read the one sentence from Cutlip, everyone ASSUMED that Volunteer was up to their old play again. As it turns out, the foul that Cutlip was talking about was an ordinary, "send em to the line," type of foul. Many people who get on here either played for or know the legendary VanHuss. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but he would tell us there will be no easy layups, no "and-ones" (old fashion 3-point play), or someone is coming to the bench. I will disagree that today is more physical than the past. Whoever made that statement definately did not play back in the day. The difference was that more players had FUNDAMENTALS and when they needed to foul, they knew how to foul without being overly agressive or allowing a 3-point play. The only thing I will challenge anyone on here is that Coach Whitt tells his players to play dirty or "hurt teenagers." When you make blind statements like that, you try to discredit the whole program of a school. You also make your own trustworthiness in question. Whitt is my friend, my old roommate & teammate from college, and a New Yorker. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" If you don't like him for your own personal reasons, FINE! Take that up with him. But don't make false statements you know nothing about. If you want to call the play too physical or rough, that is TOTALLY your view. Just keep it your VIEW and not LIES. To this point, this years team does not deserve the "bad attention" that some of you CRAVE to dish out. Until the Science Hill incident, noone has said one PEEP about Volunteer, not even the closest game they have played DB in YEARS!!!! That game was a good game to see; noone made ANY comment about it. Why? Because there was no controversy. But the first time controversy comes into play, "Oh! It must be that Volunteer is playing dirty again! Let's get on here and bash them some more!!! Can't wait to Google COACHT.COM!!!" Like TCSF said....move on!!! Last years, the year before, and years before that is just that...in the past. And if Volunteer was a bad as some of you claim, there would be coaches and refs sending game film and making calls to the TSSAA for a sanction or possible suspension. GOD BLESS!!!!!

Looks like according to the tricitiessports that Volunteer is at it again.

Way to go coach. Teach them boys to beat up the other team and you will continue to teach those life lessons. Let's go Volunteer fans. Are you going to back him again? He is proud that his players are beating up others and having busted lips and staples in their heads.

Just to let you know what actually happened to Parker, which was NOT a result of the Science Hill game as you might have most to believe......... Tricitiessports.com quoted from the Crockett game... "Volunteer??™s lineup, already limited by two injuries to starters, took another blow in the second half as forward Chris Parker took a blow to the head as he attempted a layup and suffered a cut across the top of his head. His condition was unavailable at the time of press, but was taken to the ER for closure." Who did the beating up? If Volunteer had sent someone to the ER for stitches, there would have been ANARCHY!!! Surely Crockett's coach teaches this doesn't he, and why did noone get on here shouting MUTINY???!!!! If you're going to use a resource to show your false claims, then be prepared for someone to double check your references and put you in check. One thing I do know about THIS year's team. They might not win a lot of games, but they ALL have great attitudes. GOD BLESS!!!!

New episode of the show is up. Hope everyone enjoys. Thanks for all of the support.

www.thefastbreakshow.com

Email us at: comments@thefastbreakshow.com

12/13/08 SHOW NOTES

Past Week Review

Player Of The Week

Top 10

Big 9 Officials

Science Hill @ Volunteer

Discussion On How Physical The Game Has Become

Picks For This Coming Week

I don't see East beating DB. I know they killed Central and Central beat DB, but I don't see it happening.

The fact that East has all these 3pt shooters, year in and year out blows my mind though. Snapp last year, along with Cross and Deeb, now this year both Cross and Deeb look impressive. If you guys remember, the senior class this year at Sullivan East and Sullivan Central has the Mary Hughes and Holston teams that played in the State Championship game in Middle School. Cross was playing on the Mary Hughes team as a 6th grader then /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Both of these teams could quiet possibly make some noise this year.

To correct you sir, it wasnt holston and mary hughes it was bluff city and mary hughes. Mary Hughes had cross,depew and vannoy (who is at central) bluff city had campbell,james and gilreth.

and yes it was 20-3's 9-central 11-east

vannoy was the only one that went to central others are with east sorry i didnt make that clear lol