big 9 basketball

unc1

central won a close one over boone. here is the combo that works. box, roberts, vannoy, albright, and devault...yes, i said box. when he was in the game, they moved the ball and really clicked on offense. roberts and vannoy did a great job tonight. things are moving in the right direction.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wild Finish!

Science Hill - 72

Dobyns Bennett - 70

Final.

SH - 19 22 17 14 72

DB - 15 8 20 27 70

End of Quarter Scoring

1st quarter - SH 19, DB 15

2nd quarter - SH 41, DB 23

3rd quarter - SH 58, DB 43

4th quarter - SH 72, DB 70

Details later. I need a minute to calm down. unc1, you were spot on except for the points differential.

Wild Finish!

Science Hill - 72

Dobyns Bennett - 70

Final.

SH - 19 22 17 14 72

DB - 15 8 20 27 70

End of Quarter Scoring

1st quarter - SH 19, DB 15

2nd quarter - SH 41, DB 23

3rd quarter - SH 58, DB 43

4th quarter - SH 72, DB 70

Details later. I need a minute to calm down. unc1, you were spot on except for the points differential.

Sounds like it was a heck of a game. Congrats to SHHS on the win. How was Odem tonight Tri?

The Dobyns Bennett squad that showed up to play at Sullivan Central played the Science Hill club that showed up to play Dobyns Bennett at the Arby??™s. This one was an emotional rollercoaster. Dobyns Bennett was horrendous from the field, while Science Hill had its stroke tonight. The first and third quarters were a push, while the second and fourth quarters were lopsided. I hate to play the referee card, but in recounting the entire officiating effort, Science Hill took a sizeable lead on very physical/reaching/hand checking up tempo defensive play in the second quarter. Dobyns Bennett made a bold come back in the fourth quarter with the assistance of the officials, by which I mean the officials decided to take control of the game in the second half by disallowing the harassment allowed in the first half, calling fouls down the stretch that helped the Indians get back into the game. unc1 was correct in his pre-game assessment. Adams did not have a repeat performance, I will detail that situation in the lines to follow, Edwards had two fouls within the first two minutes, and McConnell could not, nor the rest of the Indians, hit from long distance after the five minute mark in the first quarter. The Indians, again, appear to be their own worst enemies. Turnovers kill against good teams.

Science Hill took what they were given and ran with it. After falling behind out of the gate, they turned the tables in the final minute of the first quarter, going from losing 15-12 to winning 19-15, a 7-0 run, in forty five seconds. From there, the Hill went on a 22-8 run over the entirety of the second quarter. Odem exploiting mismatches, multiple players hitting from three, and the old fashioned drive to the basket three point play, blew the game wide open by halftime. Odem made a major impact in the second quarter, but also played very well on the defensive end during the entire game. His stat line will speak for itself. When he received his fourth foul early in the fourth quarter, the Indians mounted their comeback. To say the least, with him in the game, the Tribe was hindered on both ends, with him out of the game, the Indians made quick gains. The Hill did miss an amazing amount of free throws down the stretch, including Odem, to keep the Indians in contention. I??™ll be interested to see how they faired from the charity stripe.

The Ashlon Adams situation I referenced above is problematic to me. First, a disclaimer. I realize and fully understand he is a transfer, from one traditional rival to another. I also admit I do not know the background leading to his transferring to Dobyns Bennett. That said, I continue. From pre-game warm ups, throughout most of the first half, and in spurts during the second half, the Science Hill student section heckled him, shouting unpleasant things in his direction, not single fans, but groups. Also, it was evident to me that the ??

Don't strike me down here, CoachT faithful, and to you Sportsfan that brought the student section to my attention....but I like it. I don't care what they said, as long as it didn't dive into family matters, which I'm sure it didn't. When people say they're taking a high school team "at home" that's a joke most of the time. The players have to travel to a city they probably hit up on the weekends, so it's not like they're going more than 30 minutes away or so. The road team will have a good amount of fans most of the time, because the distance is relatively close. The crowd noise swings both ways and home court is just a formality more so than an advantage. The cleaning-up of student sections, like Central's is a joke. Well, I know where they're coming from, but it's no fun. By having to go to Science Hill tonight, DB played in front a hostile crowd for once, and apparently they got in Ashlon's head and affected the game. That's what home court is all about, and the crowd had to get a little nasty to do it, but that's home court baby. Everyone is gonna antagonize me about this post (now you're the student section, jeering me!) but I don't care. I think it's great that kids can pay money to go affect the outcome of the team they're cheering for. Home court is real!

Don't strike me down here, CoachT faithful, and to you Sportsfan that brought the student section to my attention....but I like it. I don't care what they said, as long as it didn't dive into family matters, which I'm sure it didn't. When people say they're taking a high school team "at home" that's a joke most of the time. The players have to travel to a city they probably hit up on the weekends, so it's not like they're going more than 30 minutes away or so. The road team will have a good amount of fans most of the time, because the distance is relatively close. The crowd noise swings both ways and home court is just a formality more so than an advantage. The cleaning-up of student sections, like Central's is a joke. Well, I know where they're coming from, but it's no fun. By having to go to Science Hill tonight, DB played in front a hostile crowd for once, and apparently they got in Ashlon's head and affected the game. That's what home court is all about, and the crowd had to get a little nasty to do it, but that's home court baby. Everyone is gonna antagonize me about this post (now you're the student section, jeering me!) but I don't care. I think it's great that kids can pay money to go affect the outcome of the team they're cheering for. Home court is real!

Maybe you should of waited until you got a good nights sleep to make a post. Sometimes when you post at 1 am your thinking is a little cloudy. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Well the game actually was at DB, not SH. SH fans were just louder b/c they had a 20pt lead at half. Yes they were loud and had their chants going but wouldnt the DB students done the same exact thing had they been the ones with the big lead? I think each student section is guilty of chanting things of that nature....JMO.....

I am a SH fan first of all but i thought first half SH got all the calls - everything went their way. Second half DB got all the calls. A mysterious travel call on SH#33 i think at half court , Edwards "blocking" larry smith in the lane when got all arm. I think in the end the Refs were equally bad for both teams but as a whole Ref job i thought they were terrible......

With my gripes out of the way- WHAT A GAME!! Exciting highschool basketball at its best. An awesome gym to watch a game. loud students on BOTH sides. And some great athletes leaving it out on the court. I look forward to the rematch even though its at Freedom Hall which isnt much of a home court for SH at all

Man that stuff you smoked must to have been good.I watched the game in kingsport.But I do go to jc on the weekends.The refs did terrible in calling falls that were not really fouls and letting fragrant fouls slide in the first half.McConnell and Halvorsen shot the ball every time they touched it they did make a few though.Did not play as a team again tonight.Adams was heckled by the jc student section,that is expected.You can't let it get to you and play ball.The only div.1 player on the court tonight was J.Odem.Mckinnley shot the ball well.

Stok, let it be known that I have no coaching experience, but there's two things I know. I could do a better job coaching the Los Angeles Clippers and I could do a better job coaching the 2008-2009 Cougars. I'm not saying I have all the answers and Central could start beating everyone but I certainly could do a better job managing the players who never seem to be on the same page. Believe me, there's some anamosity between those players right now, there's gotta be. Anybody could smoothe that over better than Vaughn.

I would think coaching a high school team requires more experience than playing basketball at Holston Optimist.

central won a close one over boone. here is the combo that works. box, roberts, vannoy, albright, and devault...yes, i said box. when he was in the game, they moved the ball and really clicked on offense. roberts and vannoy did a great job tonight. things are moving in the right direction.

the only thing about box on the point is, his man can guard anyone else because he can't score. also i don't think his defence is that great. but who else can play the position since brown is gone? i still think against a strong press central is in trouble, i am glad that all the hatters on vannoy has changed sides for awhile, i hope its not just because they won game!! i think he is a good player but needs to change some of his ways to be a great player. central as a good team but i thought was overrated at the start of the season and yes they did but sh but it wasn't the first time they have done it. things will haveto change for they to be in the top 4 or 5 by the end of the season because it looks like south and east are in for 4th and 5th right now. but several games to good in the big 9 and anything could happen!!! we will have to wait and see