big 9 basketball

unc1

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

central played awesome against east tuesday. they need to show up with that intensity every night.

There seems to be a theme this year from all teams in the Big Nine. This year's District will come down to who's focused more in each game. I always wish our Big Nine teams well when we get to the Regionals and beyond, but I'm concerned about this year's group. They have the talent to make some noise outside our conference..........SENIORS!!!!!! DO YOU REALIZE IN TWO WEEKS YOUR CAREER IN HIGH SCHOOL COULD BE OVER???!!! Make the most out of it before you become the "Boy! If I only had one more year!" group.

Yes how can anyone forget, it is brought up anytime Volunteer has a game and there is a foul called on us. It was a year ago please get on with your life this is an old subject. When our kids are hurt and taken away to be stapled up we can get over it and not spend as much time on the subject as you and many other people do. Life is too short. Get on with your life.

Yes you are right my man...It does my heart good to see the Volunteer program "moving on" and "getting over it". No pattern here what so ever...

I think DB will win the game tomorrow night regardless. It could be a close one, however it would be wonderful if this team would come out and win by 25 and show everyone what they can really do. If they can shoot the rock like they have here recently then I believe this could happen. Then they have to put in great effort on the defensive end. If McConnell and Halvorsen hit a few threes each, which they have consistently been doing, then I believe this will do the trick. Adams and Edwards have been dominant on the offensive end, however their post defense has been dismal. And neither of two towering players box out. Teams kill DB on the offensive glass due to this. And it all starts with Adams and Edwards not dominating the glass and putting as much effort on the defensive side as the offensive side. If they do this then the tides will turn for Dobyns Bennett and they will be the team to beat. HOWEVER, if Edwards and Adams continue to give up offensive rebounds... DB will CONTINUE to be the team that "doesnt play for 32 minutes." Cause many will agree that they can score on anybody. They have the best offensive arsenal in the conference and probably the region. But if this team gets over the hump it will be because of defensive rebounding and post defense. And it starts with the "so called" two best posts in the conference...

In 24 hours, all will know just what Indian team showed up. The game is at TN High and that bodes well for the Vikes, but it could be a case of home away from home. Viking Hall, Freedom Hall, & the VanHuss Dome are the three main gyms that are similar to the background of each arena. It could play into their favor as I used to love playing in that gym. The backdrop was very similar to the Dome and seemed like you were on a national stage. All three gyms are bigger than most colleges with the exception of the big time colleges. Gyms you love the atmosphere but hate playing in would have to be the Hill and Central. Central fans are rowdy whether they have a good or bad team. GOD Bless......

Colonial Heights was the #3 seed in the Middle 8 Conference Tournament. Combined with other Area 1 Large Division teams, after first round tournament eliminations, they are the overall #5 seed based on overall record. Sullivan North, I believe, is included in the Large Division because they are part of the high school. It's reported there are around 200 students in the 8th grade at Sullivan North, so as you can see they are at an obvious disadvantage. Mary Hughes does seem to have a good team this year, they won both the regular season conference and conference tournament titles. I believe the Area 1 Small Division Tournament will be held at Sullivan Middle School in Sullivan Gardens this weekend, but information for it is hard to fine. Mary Hughes will play on Friday, but I am unsure of the opponent. I am unsure of what number the TMSAA uses to draw the line between Large and Small Division schools. Below I have provided links to both the East Tennessee TMSAA Members list of schools, and also a link to the Area 1 Large Division Tournament information.

East Tennessee TMSAA Members

East Tennessee TMSAA Area 1 Boys Basketball Tournament

Thanks for the compliments. It's seems to have turned into my hobby. Some call it odd, but I think it beats the alternative. I've thought about trying to pursue sports writing, but don't really have the 'in' factor needed to get an opportunity. Thanks again.

TA Dugger is a well coached team and played the Toppers tough yesterday. They managed to keep it respectable. Good luck to the Toppers. I think they are going for their 3rd straight title.

TA Dugger is a well coached team and played the Toppers tough yesterday. They managed to keep it respectable. Good luck to the Toppers. I think they are going for their 3rd straight title.

From tricitiessports.com:

Science Hill Boys, Girls Win Middle 8 Tournament Titles

By Ron Bliss

TriCitiesSports.com

January 29, 2009

KINGSPORT -- The Science Hill boys kept alive their hopes of a three-peat in the Sectional Middle School basketball tournament by fending off T.A. Dugger of Elizabethton, 45-32, at John Sevier Middle School on Thursday.

The Science Hill girls also claimed their Middle School tournament title by beating defending champion Unicoi County, 58-48.

Both teams also won regular-season titles and picked up trophies for that, as well as their tournament titles, Thursday.

C.J. Good led the Science Hill boys (22-0) and earned tournament MVP honors, while Shy Copney led the girls and picked up MVP honors.

Good had 12 points on Thursday to tie Shannon Hale for high-point honors. Will Adams added 10. Zach Norwood had 10 for T.A. Dugger, now 15-8.

"That's the closest anyone has come to us all season,'' said Science Hill eighth-grade coach Andy Bennett. "We had been winning by an average of 30-32 points. They played that matchup zone in the first half and we weren't making our shots, but we finally got going. They are as big a team as we've played.''

TAD's two inside players, Nikolai Simpson and Kaleb Walters each made the all-tournament team and scored 6 and 5 points, respectively. In addition to Good, Reed Hayes and Shannon Hale were named to the all-tournament boys' team from Science Hill.

Science Hill will be looking for a three-peat in the Sectional Tournament when action begins in the Area Tournament on Friday.

"We beat Robertsville out of Oak Ridge last year to win the title and they were almost all seventh graders,'' said Bennett. "I have been keeping up with them and they are unbeaten, too.''

T.A. Dugger coach Marty Story says Simpson has a chance to be a really good player.

"He was playing football, but now he is just concentrating on basketball,'' said Story. "I think he has a chance to be 6-8 or 6-9.''

Simpson had scored 19 in the semifinal game and moves well for a big man.

Area 1 Tournament (Large Division)

John Sevier Middle School - Kingsport, TN

Friday, January 30

Play-In Game

4:00 pm ??“ #4 Ross N. Robinson (12-9) vs. #5 Colonial Heights (9-8)

Saturday, January 31

Semi-Finals

11:15 am - #1 Science Hill (19-0) vs. RNR/CH Winner

1:45 pm - #2 Sullivan North (14-5) vs. #3 T.A. Dugger (13-7)

Tuesday, February 3

Consolation, 4:30 pm ??“ Loser Semi-Final 1 vs. Loser Semi-Final 2

Championship, 6:00 pm ??“ Winner Semi-Final 2 vs. Winner Semi-Final 2

Admission is $5 for adults, $2 for students, no passes will be accepted.

-----------------------------

Qualifying and seeding for the Area 1 Tournament is determined by overall record, not regular season conference or conference tournament finish.

Championship game qualifiers will automatically qualify for the Sectional Tournament in Pigeon Forge.

Winner of the Consolation game will also qualify for Sectional Tournament in Pigeon Forge.

Losers in the Play-In and Consolation games seasons are over.

Sectional Tournament to be held in Pigeon Forge at Pigeon Forge Middle School, February 7-14.

Just read the last 493 pages of this topic and I'm glad that my short, fat kid doesn't play BBall. The pressure is worse than Football, I do believe! I'm fragile and can only handle small amounts of stress and BS. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

It is good to see Cap1 and Plowboy family on boards, however! I miss my Coach T chums!

Keep practicing your witty replies--- I don't want to do battle with unarmed men in the fall. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

REBEL NATION-

BLUE ###### POWER

Love,

The BOBBYMAMA

/huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" /> So if I use your same theory and thought pattern then??¦.if anyone saw the second game between DB and The Hill they saw a total mismatch. The Hill was dominant form the start, and finish the first half with a 21 point lead because DB just could not match up at any position. I expect more of the same when they play again at Freedom Hall. Chris Smith and JO Josh Odem will have their way and BOTH score 20 plus points AGAIN, and Larry Smith will show the Indians the real meaning of home court advantage. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

I??™m sorry but I think your way of thinking holds about as much water as an uncured clay pot. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> But we will see. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Yep, we saw it happen again. DB dominated from start to finish. The Vikings were never in the game and they cannot match up with this Indians team.

And Cap, your wrong about then next DB vs SH Game... the Indians will dominate that one in Freedom Hall. Why would the Toppers give up their Home Court advantage to play in the Indians home away from home? Money? Thanks Toppers, Kingsport always wins in Freedom Hall.

Roll Tribe Roll