big 9 basketball

unc1

Art I can't disagree with you... the Vikings just simply can't match up with this years Indians. I knew this from the start but I had to keep my game face on. DB has to many solid basketball players. Tonight they couldn't miss. McConnell had laser sights on...I seriously think he shot 80% from the field and 85% from the ark. For the life of me I can't see how Central beat you guys. I was telling Ashlons Dad that I can't see a way for the Vikings to beat DB unless we are shooting like they were tonight. And that obviously wasn't the case tonight. As far as the Science Hill game goes I think the shoe is on the other foot when it comes to matching up because you guy insist on trying to run with them...and I think that's a mistake. With easily the best half court offense in this region..featuring two pure shooters, a very quick slasher at PG, a straight up one on one scoring machine, and a physically dominating post player; you are foolish to play into the fast pace transitional game that The Hill is and has always been famous for. DB will have trouble matching up with both Chris Smith and Josh. Unfortunately both know Ashlon very well and have no respect for his defensive skills...or should I say effort. That leaves Sylvester and he is only one man. Larry Smith negates Jordan. It will be a great game that I do not plan to miss this time. Well played game by the Indians tonight and at times I think they even got a little bored in the second half.

Well...I have to say that the shine was fun while it lasted /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> , and it lasted longer than I expected...so I must say that I'm still very happy with how the season is going so far for the Vikings. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I told you so. /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> But even I didn't expect the spanking DB took last night. Cutlip really has CMO's number.

They must not have computers in JC...so I will gladly pick up the slack for them. They could probably call Kingsport "Crow City" right about now. This is without a doubt the most potential DB has put on the court in a long while and you guys still can't climb THE HILL. With 15 of the last 16 Conference championships under their belt, ???WHOSE YOUR DADDY??? is the only thing that comes to mind when comparing the two programs! /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

where will the "Play-In" game be? Will it be a "Caged-Event?" /wacko.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" /> I see love in the air between these two!!! /wub.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wub:" border="0" alt="wub.gif" />

Maybe we can put the game on Pay-Per-View so each team can make a little money. /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

A point of clarification, I did not ask easttnboy to apologize...for anything. I didn't use the word apologize at all in my post. Obviously I have read every post on this thread, so much so that I wish I could redeem each viewing for frequent flyer miles and vacation to a warmer climate. I know Volunteer has been slighted more than any other school in the Big 9, you know I know that. My advice to keep an open mind is based on the notion that not all of us from 'up the road' have degraded or made negative comments towards Volunteer, it's coaches, it's players, or it's fans. I, personally, don't speak for or against the Falcons program. If anything I have sympathies for Volunteer as my girlfriend is an alumni of the school and resides in Mt. Carmel. I understand it's hard to keep an open mind when others knock something you support down, consistantly. One closes themselves off, however, when they see any comment or mention of that thing you support as negative. At that point, you are viewing things through stained glass. You have a right to be perturbed with us yokels from 'up the road', but regularly viewing everything we say as an attack (thought it does seem the majority are) takes away from your perspective. I'm interested in your incite, not necessary your ability to defend yourself and Volunteer. In essence, let your guard down a bit, don't argue with those who you can't change their minds, and enjoy the thread. Before you reply, consider my points for a moment. Take it or leave it.

I was talking to Easttnboy that he didnt need to apologize. Kinda defensive there huh? So are we now "clarified"?

I told you so. /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> But even I didn't expect the spanking DB took last night. Cutlip really has CMO's number.

They must not have computers in JC...so I will gladly pick up the slack for them. They could probably call Kingsport "Crow City" right about now. This is without a doubt the most potential DB has put on the court in a long while and you guys still can't climb THE HILL. With 15 of the last 16 Conference championships under their belt, ???WHOSE YOUR DADDY??? is the only thing that comes to mind when comparing the two programs! /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

After sweeping Science Hill last year 4-0, and winning the previous 2 games in the Palace before last night, I don't think you can say Cutlip has Morgan's number, or that Science Hill is DB's daddy. But if you want to make that claim, that is alright by me. But what would that make TN High? /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

As far as this supposed to be the best team DB has put on the court in a long time, those who think this DB team could have been better than last year's is nuts. DB had 4 really, really good post players, 3 of which are/will be playing in college (Hardy, Flack, Edwards) and now gone. This team was left with only Edwards before added 1 more this year in Ashlon that could play in college if it were not for football. Keep in mind that they also had an all-conference point guard (J. Williams) that is now gone. Basically, DB is playing with no point guard, and only 2 players with any size down low, and no depth whatsoever. I would match up DB's starting 5 with any team this side of Knoxville, but there are many teams with a better bench. With that said, there is no excuse for the way DB's starters have come out of the gates the last 2 matchups with the Hill. Aside from Sylvester, the rest of the team looks scared and plays with no aggression at all.

As long as DB continues to try and run with Science Hill they are going to have a tough time winning. Science Hill is by far the more athletic and quicker team. It would serve DB well to come up with a gameplay that didn't include a man-to-man press, throw in some zone, and include some press offense.

Ill be a voice from JC. Toppers looked great last night and the beating was not what everyone expected I love the Hill but as far as Cutlip having CMO's number - I dont think so. SH is deeper than DB and had the huge advantage of playing in the palace. I would agree that dropping into a zone is the worst thing for SH to see. Zone never has been good to us.... Glad administration finally realized that playing at Freedom Hall is of no advantage for the toppers. SH played great last night and DB didnt come ready to handle it. With that said whats important is still to come and those games will be in the home of DB. The beating last night was good but by no means will it be that easy come district and regionals where HOPEFULLY these two will see each other again. I pull for SH but I want DB there too. Our region needs to be represented by the best teams from our region. Congrats to SH for another District Championship.

After sweeping Science Hill last year 4-0, and winning the previous 2 games in the Palace before last night, I don't think you can say Cutlip has Morgan's number, or that Science Hill is DB's daddy. But if you want to make that claim, that is alright by me. But what would that make TN High? /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

As far as this supposed to be the best team DB has put on the court in a long time, those who think this DB team could have been better than last year's is nuts. DB had 4 really, really good post players, 3 of which are/will be playing in college (Hardy, Flack, Edwards) and now gone. This team was left with only Edwards before added 1 more this year in Ashlon that could play in college if it were not for football. Keep in mind that they also had an all-conference point guard (J. Williams) that is now gone. Basically, DB is playing with no point guard, and only 2 players with any size down low, and no depth whatsoever. I would match up DB's starting 5 with any team this side of Knoxville, but there are many teams with a better bench. With that said, there is no excuse for the way DB's starters have come out of the gates the last 2 matchups with the Hill. Aside from Sylvester, the rest of the team looks scared and plays with no aggression at all.

As long as DB continues to try and run with Science Hill they are going to have a tough time winning. Science Hill is by far the more athletic and quicker team. It would serve DB well to come up with a gameplay that didn't include a man-to-man press, throw in some zone, and include some press offense.

Good post.Ihave said all year DB does not play as a team when it needs too.They did not get a good jump out of the gate last night.

Cap is patting himself on the back about some comments he made early about the DB vs SH game.We could ask him who's is THS daddy? /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

J.Odem has improved ever year at SH.C.Smith has gotten better also. Odem seems to find a way to get around defenders and make them miss.

Looking forward to the next meeting.Congrats. to SH on the win and another big 9 title.

I'm no English professor TCSF, but I believe you meant you were interested in his insight. Unless you are really being very clever,tongue-in-cheek,saying incite ,as in to start a riot. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Looks like a pretty good job of smoothing everything over otherwise. Good luck at Topper Palace. Wear something from your summer wardrobe and take lots of bottled water. I bet it's hot and loud over there tonight!

crawdad, you caught a mistake! And a rather indistinct one at that! Touche sir, touche /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />. You are correct, I did mean insight, rather than incite.

I was talking to Easttnboy that he didnt need to apologize. Kinda defensive there huh? So are we now "clarified"?

We understand each other. You mentioned me in your post, thus I responded in turn. Outside of the first few sentences of my response to you, the rest was my opnion. I felt you should hear it, no harm done.

I'll post my thoughts on the Dobyns Bennett @ Science Hill game later tonight, among other things.

Well he must have had it the 14 CONSECUTIVE years prior to that??¦and he sure did dial right back in this year. And that would make the Vikings the third best team in the Big 9??¦as usual. And we will take that all day long with a possible upset of one or both of the top two teams in the District tournament to steal another title. And don??™t expect the violins to break out when you say ???this team is left with only Edwards??? and ???they also had an all-conference point guard (J. Williams) that is now gone?????¦I mean??¦look around at what everyone else has to work with. Edwards is hands down the highest recruited post player in the conference??¦maybe the only one now that L. Smith signed for football. Williams was a big loss but you picked up Adams, and what exactly do you think Sylvester is. Let??™s see??¦last year he was on the All District Team, he was Regional Tournament MVP, he made the All Conference First Team, and he had 7 STEALS in the game last night??¦what more do you want!!!!??? I??™m sorry but if you think you??™re going to be able to pass Kolby Bryant off as a transfer next year it ain??™t gonna work.

I agree that it would be nice to see the strongest two teams represent our region this year. And I too believe that to be Science Hill and DB without question. And that goes for the IMAC boys too.

that is what i thought but do you have any times on these games? i seen where central and boone has the same record what if both lose their next games does this change anything?

I guess Boone could move all the up to 5th with the right set of circumstances. I think they are the team most likely to pull an upset. I would think Tn. Hi especially would not want to face them again after 2 very close encounters this season. They have been the best of "the other 6" in the 2nd half of the season by far except for blow outs against SH.

Aside from Sylvester, the rest of the team looks scared and plays with no aggression at all.

UMMM not sure if you noticed but sylvester played timid from the point position. He didnt look comfortable with the pressure and had 7 turnovers most of which were weak turnovers. Yes he had 15 points so that will make up for the poor effort on his ball handling (which is normally a strength) and he missed a few crucial layups in the first half. Also took many ill-advised shots throughout the game. So in this particular game Sylvester did not show up with his usual game. However the players that did show up were Adams and Halvorsen. Adams hit jumpers throughout the game and stayed agressive against his former team. Took some shots that he prob shouldn't have taken.. but he hit a few of them too. Halvorsen kept them in the game penetrating and hitting jump shots. The Science Hill point guard couldnt really keep him in front of him. He also hit a couple threes that kept the deficit within single digits. DB just didnt get any prescence from Edwards inside and that killed them. McConnell never could get open and he was never given an opportunity to hit shots. Credit part of that to the Topper defense, another part to the fact that McConnell never recieved any screens to make plays. I however completely agree with your second statement. This DB team is not athletic enough to run up and down the court with the superior athletes of The Hill. In order to win in the ladder part of the year when it really counts DB will have to slow the tempo down and make it a half court game. If this is not done..... then this might be Charlie Morgan's worst ever coaching job at DB and they will be out and sitting at home quick.

Well he must have had it the 14 CONSECUTIVE years prior to that??¦and he sure did dial right back in this year. And that would make the Vikings the third best team in the Big 9??¦as usual. And we will take that all day long with a possible upset of one or both of the top two teams in the District tournament to steal another title. And don??™t expect the violins to break out when you say ???this team is left with only Edwards??? and ???they also had an all-conference point guard (J. Williams) that is now gone?????¦I mean??¦look around at what everyone else has to work with. Edwards is hands down the highest recruited post player in the conference??¦maybe the only one now that L. Smith signed for football. Williams was a big loss but you picked up Adams, and what exactly do you think Sylvester is. Let??™s see??¦last year he was on the All District Team, he was Regional Tournament MVP, he made the All Conference First Team, and he had 7 STEALS in the game last night??¦what more do you want!!!!??? I??™m sorry but if you think you??™re going to be able to pass Kolby Bryant off as a transfer next year it ain??™t gonna work.

I agree that it would be nice to see the strongest two teams represent our region this year. And I too believe that to be Science Hill and DB without question. And that goes for the IMAC boys too.

First, Cutlip nor Morgan have been at their current school for the 14 years so that argument is invalid.

Second, I am not making excuses in regard to DB "being left with Edwards" or losing Williams. I was simply saying that when you look at what they lost from last year, nobody with any sense would claim this team was better than last years.

Third, Sylvester is a natural 2-guard, not a point guard. What you aren't mentioning that was in the post earlier is that he also had 7 turnovers to go along with those 7 steals. Sylvester is a great player and competitor and always seems to step up against the Hill, however he is not a true point guard.

Fourth, if you are happy being the 3rd best team in the conference consistently, I don't know what to tell you.

UMMM not sure if you noticed but sylvester played timid from the point position. He didnt look comfortable with the pressure and had 7 turnovers most of which were weak turnovers. Yes he had 15 points so that will make up for the poor effort on his ball handling (which is normally a strength) and he missed a few crucial layups in the first half. Also took many ill-advised shots throughout the game. So in this particular game Sylvester did not show up with his usual game. However the players that did show up were Adams and Halvorsen. Adams hit jumpers throughout the game and stayed agressive against his former team. Took some shots that he prob shouldn't have taken.. but he hit a few of them too. Halvorsen kept them in the game penetrating and hitting jump shots. The Science Hill point guard couldnt really keep him in front of him. He also hit a couple threes that kept the deficit within single digits. DB just didnt get any prescence from Edwards inside and that killed them. McConnell never could get open and he was never given an opportunity to hit shots. Credit part of that to the Topper defense, another part to the fact that McConnell never recieved any screens to make plays. I however completely agree with your second statement. This DB team is not athletic enough to run up and down the court with the superior athletes of The Hill. In order to win in the ladder part of the year when it really counts DB will have to slow the tempo down and make it a half court game. If this is not done..... then this might be Charlie Morgan's worst ever coaching job at DB and they will be out and sitting at home quick.

I don't think Sylvester played timid, but yes, he did have some turnovers because he is NOT a true point guard. He is great at creating for himself and others off of the wing, but not so much from the point. Ashlon did show up, and I wouldn't expect anything else from him going back home. However, I don't agree with you that Halvorsen kept them in the game. For every basket he scored, he would give up one on the other end. He played pretty well on offense, but they did not get any help from him on the defensive end of the floor. But, the same can be said for every perimeter player DB had out there with the exception of Sylvester.