big 9 basketball

unc1

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Halverson is DB's best shooter; McConnell is a good shooter but needs time to set up; and Sylvester is the most athletic that can get streaky and go on a tear. They key for DB will be to get "CONNECTED!!!!" Team chemistry is EVERYTHING, especially this time of year. You can have the best five players on the court at any given time. But unless they are "flowing" together, they are just five players playing individually. Time warp with me to 1992......... That summer the AAU nationals were held in the Tri-Cities, with the final four at South. The TN Travelers had a LOADED team with locals Damon Johnson, Shane Williams, Shane Carnes, & JaMichael Mills. Great individually but could not ever get the chemistry down. But their talent got them to the final four. Along comes a little Indiana (Hoopsters) team and did not have near the talent the Travelers had. This Indiana team was well coached, played great defense, and had TEAM CHEMISTRY. They flowed together like a well-oiled machine. They also upset the Travelers and eventually won the Nationals that year. My point being.....you can have the best team and best group of individuals on the team, but unless you have TEAM CHEMISTRY, you are prone to being upset at any time!!!! GOD Bless and enjoy these games we are blessed to have in our area.... /sleep.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="-_-" border="0" alt="sleep.gif" /> STG report coming soon.... /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

I agree. Well said. Kids better kick it into high gear if they want to move on to Murfreesboro like last yr. And I too believe that Halvorsen is the better shooter of the two. He has a dribble pull up that is a good weapon. Used that at key times in the Science Hill game. McConnell is a tremendous shooter but I believe he is a set shooter. McConnell can hit you for about 5 in a row extremely quick like he did in the Tenn High game. The kid can light it up. Halvorsen struggled a bit at the beginning of the season leading up to the Arby's. But since then his percentage has been above 50%. Though he does not normally shoot as much as the other starters due to the fact that he is the player that controls the game and looks for assists. But if a 3 has to be taken for the Tribe I look for Halvorsen to take it.

Any predictions on all conference teams? 1st team? 2nd team?

If I had a vote it would be the five strongest players in their position hands down this year. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Josh Odem (SH) and your MVP

Corey Young (THS)

Chris Smith (SH)

Ashlon Adams (DB)

Jordan Edwards (DB)

And the second best in their positions this year.

Aaron Bennett (Vol)

Nick Jones (Boone)

Dustin McConnell/Justin Sylvester (DB)

Larry Smith (SH)

Tyler DeVault (edit) (Central)

It was much harder to choose these five than it was the first five. There are several that could also be included in this second group??¦.Halverson (DB), Webb (THS), Trent (Vol), DeVault (Central)??¦

If I had a vote it would be the five strongest players in their position hands down this year. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Agree with the 1st five, along with Dustin/Justin on 2nd team. Don't know about Bennett and Roberts.

Josh Odem (SH) and your MVP

Corey Young (THS)

Chris Smith (SH)

Ashlon Adams (DB)

Jordan Edwards (DB)

And the second best in their positions this year.

Aaron Bennett (Vol)

Nick Jones (Boone)

Dustin McConnell/Justin Sylvester (DB)

Larry Smith (SH)

Carl Roberts (Central)

It was much harder to choose these five than it was the first five. There are several that could also be included in this second group??¦.Halverson (DB), Webb (THS), Trent (Vol), DeVault (Central)??¦

Agree with the 1st five. Though one could say Sylvester also. Don't know about Bennett and Roberts on the 2nd team. Devault by far should be on 2nd team. Again IMO

OMG what was I thinking!!!! /ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" /> I meant to put down Tyler DeVault (edit) (the post player for Central). I changed it on my previous post already??¦so again my bad. Tyler DeVault (edit) to me could possibly be the best post player in the conference when you combined skill and heart. Jordan isn??™t far behind but he has a superior physical presence??¦especially defensively that's why he gets the nod for the first team. And I guess I??™m just a ???Bennett??? fan. He was thrown into the spotlight after a year in the shadows of Mr. Volunteer himself (Cradic) graduated. He??™s not really a spotlight type player and I would say that if he had anybody to work with on that team he could fit better into his role as PG much better than he did this year as the primary perimeter scorer. Even at that he??™s the second best PG in the league IMO. And I would call Justin a casualty of war. Even though he has been at times the spark that either lit the fire or kept the fire burning for the Indians, he still didn??™t have what I would call a Sylvester year in basketball. I guess you can??™t have but so many stars shining at one time on one team. The fact is that he has had to be more of a role player this year with the addition of Ashlon. Someone had to??¦as they say ???take one for the team??? and unfortunately I feel it has been Justin. I could have easily filled the 2nd team with the other three starters for DB and just added Larry Smith and Albright??¦and been justified in doing so. But you got to spread the love as much as possible, and since it wasn??™t going to be on the first team (by a long shot) I feel it??™s only right to do it on the second. JMO /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />