Region One

Cowboy Curtis

As I said they have the best shot after last year's performances. They both stepped up when it counted and ended up 2nd and 3rd in the state. Usary may have had a couple of bad matches but if you saw him at the state tournament he was wrestling on a different level. He also looked like a big 135 at the state tournament. As for Bishop he has not been beat by anyone in Region 1 for 2 years now. If he is so one dimensional then how has he continued to have the success that he has had. Last year at state he lost to Konz and then came back in dominating fashion to defeat several ranked wrestlers in a row. He is anything but one dimensional and if he is then not many wrestlers have figured it out yet. I do not doubt that King will have a great year and I hope he does. However, to get on here and belittle two other Region 1 wrestlers because you want to prove that your former teammate has the best shot, is comical. However, I still believe Region 1 is going to have a great year.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And you are right... unfortunately, all that matters is what happens at that last tournament. Nothing before then matters.

I am definitely not trying to belittle anyone! I am very good friends with Brett and his famiy and would wish nothing more than for him to bring a third gold medal to the Usary household. I just think that he would have the best shot going 35 again. And I think he needs to be a stronger 35.

As for Kole, I have watched him very carefully for years and he does have a very one-dimensional style. What is good about being one-dimensional is that he has close to perfected these few things he likes to work. (which payed off tremendously at the state tournament last year). But if coaches notice this, it can make it a lot easier to stop. His best bet is a lot of individual work and to have a second level arsenal in case that does happen. This is simply a little constructive criticism.

I love seeing the region 1 boys do good. I hope all three of them can take home gold.... along with some others.

OK guys, every year there is a freshman or newcomer who comes in and makes some noise. How about some of you Region One guys start name dropping. I guarantee SH will have some newcomers to make an impact. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

OK guys, every year there is a freshman or newcomer who comes in and makes some noise. How about some of you Region One guys start name dropping. I guarantee SH will have some newcomers to make an impact. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Not confirmed yet, but a little birdie told me about a possible transfer coming into Cocke County from PA. Two brothers at weights 103/112 and 135/140. Freshman and Senior I believe.

# best opportunities to have region 1 wrestlers in the finals: Bishop, King, Usary (alphabetical order for the nonthoughtful)

#We may have someone show up out of nowhere as well. We usually do every other year.

# I love Wrestling Trivia, Great about Bishop not losing a match in two years in Region, I know King has not lost in Region 1 while in High School. Others.

#Also I was shocked how few 4 time Region Champs we have in R1. King will be up for his 4th. Who are the others.

I think Bristol and SH each had one or more?

KingGreene were you one?

# best opportunities to have region 1 wrestlers in the finals: Bishop, King, Usary (alphabetical order for the nonthoughtful)

#We may have someone show up out of nowhere as well. We usually do every other year.

# I love Wrestling Trivia, Great about Bishop not losing a match in two years in Region, I know King has not lost in Region 1 while in High School. Others.

#Also I was shocked how few 4 time Region Champs we have in R1. King will be up for his 4th. Who are the others.

I think Bristol and SH each had one or more?

KingGreene were you one?

I do believe Usary has a chance to be a 4x region champ as well. I'm thinking he won the region in 8th, 10th, & 11th Grade. I believe he lost to KingGreene (112) as a freshman. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong. Also I think KingGreene was a 3x champ. Does Greeneville have a 4x region champ? Hey noonesfool, what about G. Foreman?

You are correct VolKing. An overtime loss in the spotlight at TN high as a freshman kept me from that 4x title. (to a very familiar foe from SH who I met in many battles throughout the years)

I believe Usary does still have a chance. I think his dad is probably still mad at me for taking his chance for a 5x away. /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" /> He pulled off a crazy last second win in the 2007 region finals to get his second one! (which we still give the runner-up a hard time about) I don't see him or King having a problem picking up that fourth one this year.

Forman was a 3 time region champion. Region I was a four district region 1. Top 4 from each district went region in a full 16 man brackett. Bristol at one end and Cleveland and Bradley at the other.

Forman did not wrestle for GHS as a Freshman

When you won a region back then, you really won a big time event.

KingGreene, you shouldn't say things like I was mad at you. The people that read these posts may think you are serious. Besides, my Doctor said if I continue to improve I can go home soon. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Noonesfool, the four time region champ from SH you are thinking of is Jon Edmonds. One more tidbit of region 1 wrestling knowledge I can throw out there is that, from what I've been told, the all time leader in wins at SH is Ty Cody with 212. If my figures are correct, Brett would need 46 wins this season to pass him. Bo Usary is second all time with 205 wins. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Ha! I know you're not Cowboy Curtis

Those sure are some big numbers! Which means brett must have quite a bit as well if he's that close! Anything close to 200 is outstanding!

I'd say he'll probably have close to 50 matches this year, so it's quite possible if he stays injury free. That's a lot of wrestling!.....and a lot of winning! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> It'd be nice to see him at least pass up the older brother!

We have a good thread going Fellas /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

How about this one. Daniel Crosby last lost in High School was in the semi finals of his sophomore year. He won his next 110 matches in a row without a loss. Netting a third in the state and two (2) state titles at 275lb.

Forman was a 3 time region champion. Region I was a four district region 1. Top 4 from each district went region in a full 16 man brackett. Bristol at one end and Cleveland and Bradley at the other.

Forman did not wrestle for GHS as a Freshman

When you won a region back then, you really won a big time event.

How about I take this one step further and say if you placed at the region tourney (say 4th at 103) back in the old days (1988) this was an acheivement! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

As an example, if you took the State Placers at 112lb weight class from this past year, four of those guys would have been in the old Region One. How would some of the other weight classes turn out?