Ranked Teams

MVM

Now that it is basically the end of season, I've got to say that Knox West seems to be slighted some in the polls. Their only losses are to ranked teams........arguably the best in the State. A good portion of the wins are against teams with good records. I think that when records, goals against, etc are considered they a worthy of a better ranking, especially given the same records for other teams.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that it is basically the end of season, I've got to say that Knox West seems to be slighted some in the polls. Their only losses are to ranked teams........arguably the best in the State. A good portion of the wins are against teams with good records. I think that when records, goals against, etc are considered they a worthy of a better ranking, especially given the same records for other teams.

I think a win tonight is more important than a meaningless ranking. Worrying about rankings now takes the focus off the task at hand. And Bearden is a big task.

Well I certainly agree...........but if that's the case, lets just shut down the whole thread. Anytime anyone plays Bearden they have their hands full. A very talented team, most I know them and their families. Just making a comment to the credit of West and their season, win or lose, and it doesn't bother my focus one way or the other, if that's OK with you.

I think there is a barrier that exists for any team to cross from being unranked to being ranked. Without beating someone (or several someone's) already ranked, it is probably difficult to start being ranked. In school we learned about the "Halo effect". I suspect something similar goes on with rankings.

It would take a great deal of work, but I wonder who would be the best team (based on beating ranked teams) that isn't itself ranked.

Like the other poster, though, the rankings are basically meaningless unless you can put a "W" next to your school's name tonight. Good luck to all the teams, both those whose season will end tonight, and those that will go on (at least a little while longer)

Maybe they are meaningless, but we still have them and I certainly don't buy stock in them. But, where is the signature win for Soddy? Notre Dame.......look at the rest of their schedule. What about DB, they aren't ranked either. To me, it is heavily influenced by being from Nashville or the Brentwood regions. The whole point is that at the end of the year only one team is going to be a winner, but that doesn't mean that some other teams didn't have a good season and the polls are just a way of recognition. If you look at the new coachT thread http://tennessee.coacht.com/boards/index.p...howtopic=181557 it seems to try and represent in a more objective way.

It would take a great deal of work, but I wonder who would be the best team (based on beating ranked teams) that isn't itself ranked.

MVM did that on 10/8 and, based on his post that day, it would have been Cleveland @ 2-4-1. That may have changed in the last 3 weeks though. Many games have been played since then.

Nevertheless, you and I seem to agree that it is tonight that matters. Our hope is that all players, coaches and referees will have their best game of the season tonight and be able to leave the field with the pride of a game well played.

Maybe they are meaningless, but we still have them and I certainly don't buy stock in them. But, where is the signature win for Soddy? Notre Dame.......look at the rest of their schedule. What about DB, they aren't ranked either. To me, it is heavily influenced by being from Nashville or the Brentwood regions. The whole point is that at the end of the year only one team is going to be a winner, but that doesn't mean that some other teams didn't have a good season and the polls are just a way of recognition. If you look at the new coachT thread http://tennessee.coacht.com/boards/index.p...howtopic=181557 it seems to try and represent in a more objective way.

There are many, many programs that had good seasons by their own criteria, which is what matters most. Did they improve on their prior year results? Did they beat their biggest rival? Are they leaving the program stronger than it was the prior year? Did they have fun?

I think the link you gave is a good step in the right direction, but as it is, it seems that it doesn't reward teams that step up and play a harder schedule, even at the cost of a win or two. A win is a win it, be it a Bearden or Collierville, or a time that hasn't won a single game. IMO, anything that doesn't reward (or at least not penalize) taking that risk isn't the answer.

I think there is a barrier that exists for any team to cross from being unranked to being ranked. Without beating someone (or several someone's) already ranked, it is probably difficult to start being ranked. In school we learned about the "Halo effect". I suspect something similar goes on with rankings.

Halo effect....Never heard it called that before (Of course I didn't graduate from Father Ryan either.LOL) But I would totally agree. For the teams that year after year having appearances at sub state or state seem to get the benefit of doubt when it comes to the rankings. For new successful programs it takes a year or two for the coaches to start noticing them. Whether that is right or wrong that is just how it is.

Halo effect....Never heard it called that before (Of course I didn't graduate from Father Ryan either.LOL) But I would totally agree. For the teams that year after year having appearances at sub state or state seem to get the benefit of doubt when it comes to the rankings. For new successful programs it takes a year or two for the coaches to start noticing them. Whether that is right or wrong that is just how it is.

The opposite is true as well. Once you get recognized, you tend to get left in the rankings when, perhaps, another team would be the better pick. Now for my thought provoking, get me in trouble, example: BGA. They are out of the playoffs and 2 or 3 teams below them have better stats. I know within 15 minutes of losing to GPS last year at Sub-state, we dropped like a rock and a team we had beaten 3-0 a few days before moved up. I think its like we all know we shouldn't look, but we can't help it. Maybe it is why is is called RANK ing.

I thought the "halo effect" only occurred in Catholic schools. /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

DB against ranked teams are 0-2-2.....Soddy's is 3-1-1....common opponent is Farragut ...DB lost 2-0 ...Soddy tied 0-0.

This is how other teams outside the rankings have done against ranked teams

DB ..........0-2-2

Greenville 0-5-0

Cleveland 2-4-1

West........2-4-1

Still the halo effect I guess. West's 4 losses come at the hands of only two teams, Bearden, the #1 team in the state and Oak Ridge@ #5. And none of those games were cake walks. Which brings up the 'new' districts, if passed as proposed. How brutal can district 4 get with Bearden, Farragut, Maryville, West, and Hardin Valley which in another year or two will definitely be tough!?!

Updated 10/29/08, This is how the teams have done coming through Region Semi's and whatever DII goes through. LOL

Added The Oak Ridge and Farragut game.

Record.. Team........Previous Rank

7-3-1... Notre Dame.............. 1

6-2-1... Franklin Road Acad.... 2

4-1-1... CAK......................... 3

2-4-1... Chatt. Christian......... 4

4-2-1... USJ.......................... 5

2-6-2... CPA......................... 7

0-5-2... David Lipscomb......... 8

0-3-0... Knox Catholic............ 6

1-0-0... Station Camp............ 10

2-2-0... Jackson Christian...... 9