OW

toughest6

I sure hope not. Chattanooga's loss would be Nashville's gain. Ken was a member of the Chattanooga officials association last year. If you call his Chattanooga home number it still has his voice on the recorder. I know that he has worked for Provident Ins and they seem to restructure about every year so it is now possible that he has been moved to Nashville, but not last season.

Posted by bobmarley:

The reply should have only read:

Didn't Ken Mara move to Nashville?

Isn't that why he was at the Father Ryan Invitational?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mara lives in Nashville during the week and goes home to Chatt on the weekends. He has been a member of the Nashville association for the past two years. Straight from the horse's mouth: He had been asked to work the FR tournament for the past 4 seasons but he always had conflicts. He didn't have a conflict this past season. The idea that he was brought in to work the FR tourney as a condition for McCallie (or anyone else for that matter)to attend a tournament is bullcrap. Anyone who has questions can call him and ask him.

Most refs take tournament assignments on a first come first serve basis. This was the case here. It's pretty funny to read some of the posts on here guys. Keep it up....it's entertaining.

xbody

[Edited by xbody on 8-14-02 12:51P]

bob,

Its OK. Like xbody, I enjoy the discussion. Besides, they are jumping all around me instead of addressing my stance that there is a perception (valid or not) that it is difficult to have a fairly officiated match against FR or MBA involving the officials that are either related to or close friends of the Simpson coaches. No one has proved me wrong. There is also the perception that McCallie "buys" the top wrestlers on their team. I've got the depleted bank account to refute that perception.

Clint stated that these were nice folks and friends of his. Early on I stated that these were good people who had made outstanding contributions to the sport. Their charicter was never questioned. The only issue is that these people may be too close to the participants to remain unbiased. Most companies have nepotism rules for a reason? Doesn't everyone wish the best for their family and friends and it is difficult to "let the chips fall where they may"?

I saw Ken Mara officiating in Chattanooga last year so maybe he is a member of both associations. I do know that the McCallie parents were told that we were returning last year because they had added Ken Mara to the officiating. Whether it was coincedence that Ken was there I don't know. I suppose that that still wasn't enough for Red Bank to return. Ask anyone who was at the FR Inv year before last and they will validate that by the end, the entire crowd was united against FR and MBA, not just RB and MC. It was the ugliest I've ever seen.

CBG attacks me as a Vandy crybaby and that the McCallie wrestler involved and their team has a 99.9% chance of tanking. Well the record of both refutes his foolish statement. In the wrestler's next match he set the current state record for the fastest pin and went on to win the 2002 state championship and last year McCallie had their strongest team since 1993.

Most of all, nobody has address the mythical "watch for blood" match that involved one of the officials in question and changed the winner of the 2001 DII 112lb state championship and whether Phillip would have won OW if he had finished 3rd that year. Did the official "help out his buddy's son" or did he simply make a terrible mistake in an important match that was beneath anyone qualified to officiate the state tourny? Ask the blonde official with the crooked fingers why he did it. If this biased perception didn't exist, everyone would think it an honest mistake no matter how outrageous. As for me, I don't know.

Posted by bobmarley:

walkenvol

Seems like no matter what you say, you get jumped on.

Vandy Crybaby,

The official made the call that he thought was correct at that time. If he made a mistake, I can assure you that he feels worse that anyone.

No one will ever be able to look into a crystal ball and say what would have happened if Patrick had not won 3 state titles. By pointing fingers you are doing nothing more that trying to tarnish Patrick's high school wrestling accomplishments.

If Ethan was still one of your coaches we would never be having this discussion because he would have told you to shut up and go to work!!! I am really shocked that Gordon and Mike let you get away with acting like a fool. It is time that you stop throwing rocks at other people because they could decide to throw them at your glass house. You have insulted the Simpson family, Father Ryan High School, Montgomery Bell Academy, and the Nashville Officials Association with your stupid statements, not to metion how you have questioned the integrity of the Nashville Wrestling Officials.

You are acting like a Vandy Cry Baby!!!!

Thats my opinion and it should be yours!!!!

Let's say that the official in question had not stopped the match (what most agree might have been an error). Who is to say that Manley would have pinned Simpson? Just because he was on his back for some time with time remaining on the clock doesn't mean he would have gotten pinned. Of course, we will never know since we cannot change history.

Posted by luchador:

Let's say that the official in question had not stopped the match (what most agree might have been an error). Who is to say that Manley would have pinned Simpson? Just because he was on his back for some time with time remaining on the clock doesn't mean he would have gotten pinned. Of course, we will never know since we cannot change history.

gotta say I can agree with this one....I've been on my back for a Minute forty-five before, and lived to tell about it and finish the match.

Posted by luchador:

If you guys haven't figured out that Walkenvol is Manley's dad, you haven't been on CoachT very long! Hey Tim, your kid is not the only one who has been on the receiving end of a bad call in wrestling a big match!! I aggree with you that the "blood call" was awful from where I was sitting, but the match has been over for more than a year and a half so quite whinning about it!!!!

As for the preception that McCallie "buys" the best athletes, this goes back to the period when McCallie got the death penalty in wrestling for having too many varsity scholarship athletes on it's wrestling team. If you knew anything about what went on with McCallie wrestling during this time frame, you would understand this concept!!! It is hard for people to forget this, and it made all the private schools look bad! This is also one of the big reasons that caused the DI/DII split...thus the comment from another person about "throwing stones from your own glass house".