Predicting a full split in 2012

Macnarry

I believe that we will see a complete private-public split in 2012. If that happens, it will be interesting to see whether the private schools begin their own association. I think they will stay in the TSSAA, but it will be a private-public split in the post-season.

The smaller classification in DII will get a boost with the additions of USJ, Jackson Christian and Fayette Academy. This will build momentum for the 2012 split.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that we will see a complete private-public split in 2012. If that happens, it will be interesting to see whether the private schools begin their own association. I think they will stay in the TSSAA, but it will be a private-public split in the post-season.

The smaller classification in DII will get a boost with the additions of USJ, Jackson Christian and Fayette Academy. This will build momentum for the 2012 split.

I think you are probably correct, and really if that happens, why stay with the organization that forced you out.

With the changes of privates jumping to DII across the state, I see this being a very, very competitve division.

If any of the privates that stay in DI actually win state championships, I look for the multiplier to be increased or for it not to be an option for privates to stay in DI.

IMO, a complete public-private split is the best thing for everyone.

I think you are probably correct, and really if that happens, why stay with the organization that forced you out.

With the changes of privates jumping to DII across the state, I see this being a very, very competitve division.

If any of the privates that stay in DI actually win state championships, I look for the multiplier to be increased or for it not to be an option for privates to stay in DI.

If I were the privates schools I would start my own organization and take my money and run from the T$$AA, would have a long time ago...... but that being said, I hate to see the split. I think it waters down High School athletics. In football there will now be 8 State Champions. I am not sure there are 8 deserving teams. We might as well make each region champion a State Champion.

If I were the privates schools I would start my own organization and take my money and run from the T$$AA, would have a long time ago...... but that being said, I hate to see the split. I think it waters down High School athletics. In football there will now be 8 State Champions. I am not sure there are 8 deserving teams. We might as well make each region champion a State Champion.

Yeah, 70 is the same as 8.

You would think the private schools would not have much trouble raising money considering not many poor people go to private schools. They should be able to fund their own association without much trouble.

I do not think that will happen and the TSSAA will control both divisions. If there were separate associations, recruiting would become common place.

I agree that way you would have a level playing field for all high school athletes and after all isn't that the way its suppose to be? Fair for everyone? As it is now the privates have an unfair advantage when they play against the smaller public schools in just about every sport. You can find an exception to the rule but for the most part its fact. I think most would welcome a total split or atleast have private schools playing no less than AA in basketball and AAA and up in most every other sport to level it out. That way atleast your student to athlete ratio is alot closer in line. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

A split (new organization) may occur, though I doubt it. Even if another organization emerges, there's a lot of miles and hurdles between starting one up and making it work over the long haul.

Think about it - the most influential private school heads already have positions of influence in DII, and they have actively recruited DI privates into DII. I don't see those guys pushing for their own organization.

I agree that way you would have a level playing field for all high school athletes and after all isn't that the way its suppose to be? Fair for everyone? As it is now the privates have an unfair advantage when they play against the smaller public schools in just about every sport. You can find an exception to the rule but for the most part its fact. I think most would welcome a total split or atleast have private schools playing no less than AA in basketball and AAA and up in most every other sport to level it out. That way atleast your student to athlete ratio is alot closer in line.

Ah yes! The old "level playing field" resurfaces! Haven't heard that one in a long time.

Are you saying that Jackson County and Sale Creek (both public schools) are on a level playing field in, let's say, girls' basketball? And South Pittsburg and Whitwell (both class A public schools from the same county) are playing on a level field in football? Do you really believe Rockwood has no advantage over Copper Basin in baseball?

The myth of the "level playing field" strikes again!

I don't see it happening any time soon. I used to think it would...but not anymore. The move by several to DII is interesting. I just wonder why most didn't do it before now.

I don't see it happening any time soon. I used to think it would...but not anymore. The move by several to DII is interesting. I just wonder why most didn't do it before now.

hope everyone is going to be happy that privates are moving to DII. Then they will start complaining about Alcoa and maryville Open zones. No difference. Publics have to cry about something, never satisified.

hope everyone is going to be happy that privates are moving to DII. Then they will start complaining about Alcoa and maryville Open zones. No difference. Publics have to cry about something, never satisified.

Evidently...so do privates. /ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />