Could a public school go DII?

Shelia

west: I think you meant why wouldn't "publics" have the same 1.8 multiplier if they opted to play in DII, didn't you?

Good idea. But that would ''penalize" public schools for playing with the private schools, instead of playing with the other public schools "where they belong", wouldn't it?. My guess is that a certain place down below would freeze over before the BofC would ever impose a draconian penalty like that on public schools.

oops, you are right (not enough coffee yet this morning). I have edited my original post.

Or maybe my blood pressure just got so high thinking about how much crap I have heard about privates having an unfair advantage- we move - and they are wanting now to move with us to keep from playing schools their same size.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess the same could have been said about us in the last classification period. We moved up to 3a in a region with Portland. Portland was on a long

winning streak and coming off of a 3a title. They had close to 1000 students...as did most of the larger 3a schools. It has long been said we moved up to avoid playing private schools with 350 or so students.

Question: At what point does the size of the school matter? I hear all of the small privates complaining they have to play larger schools because of the multiplier. We moved up to play larger schools voluntarily...and were chastised for doing so. What is the difference?

I guess the same could have been said about us in the last classification period. We moved up to 3a in a region with Portland. Portland was on a long

winning streak and coming off of a 3a title. They had close to 1000 students...as did most of the larger 3a schools. It has long been said we moved up to avoid playing private schools with 350 or so students.

Question: At what point does the size of the school matter? I hear all of the small privates complaining they have to play larger schools because of the multiplier. We moved up to play larger schools voluntarily...and were chastised for doing so. What is the difference?

IMHO. To me, the operative word is "voluntarily".

IMHO. To me, the operative word is "voluntarily".

Voluntary or involuntary yields the same result. Why were we chastised for the move up? We supposedly avoided GP and DL even though they were not any better than several in our 3a region. LA took DL to the woodshed the next year. They were nowhere near as good as the year before.

You didn't answer the question. At what point does the size of the school matter?

Voluntary or involuntary yields the same result. Why were we chastised for the move up? We supposedly avoided GP and DL even though they were not any better than several in our 3a region. LA took DL to the woodshed the next year. They were nowhere near as good as the year before.

You didn't answer the question. At what point does the size of the school matter?

Maybe the question should be: If the size of the school does not matter, why was the multiplier implemented?

To further answer, when a school with enrollment of 350 students if FORCED (involuntarily) to play a school with 1200+ students, the pool of students to choose from has to make a difference.

Maybe the question should be: If the size of the school does not matter, why was the multiplier implemented?

To further answer, when a school with enrollment of 350 students if FORCED (involuntarily) to play a school with 1200+ students, the pool of students to choose from has to make a difference.

What 350 student school "has" to play a 1200 student school? I am referring to football. I don't think it makes much difference in other sports.

I think it's been well established privates have an advantage over public schools of the same size. There are a few exceptions on both sides.

The point is we and Trousdale...especially...were ridiculed to no end for moving up to 3a. If the size of those schools didn't matter...why does it suddenly matter after the implementation of the multiplier?

What 350 student school "has" to play a 1200 student school? I am referring to football. I don't think it makes much difference in other sports.

I think it's been well established privates have an advantage over public schools of the same size. There are a few exceptions on both sides.

The point is we and Trousdale...especially...were ridiculed to no end for moving up to 3a. If the size of those schools didn't matter...why does it suddenly matter after the implementation of the multiplier?

Enrollment numbers from last week's TSSAA web site

University School of Jackson - 350

Jackson North Side - 1167

In the same basketball district for past 4 years, and yes it DOES make a difference in basketball.

Enrollment numbers from last week's TSSAA web site

University School of Jackson - 350

Jackson North Side - 1167

In the same basketball district for past 4 years, and yes it DOES make a difference in basketball.

There are only 3 classes in basketball. Frank J. Hughes is (103) in the same class with Loretto (519).

There is a wide gap between all schools from the top to the bottom of each class. I really don't think it

matters too much. If you are going to have just 3 classes...that will happen. I don't think softball and

baseball matter much either.

Sports besides football don't matter that much. I can quote numerous games if you like.

Football is the reason for this system. It is not based on other sports.

There are only 3 classes in basketball. Frank J. Hughes is (103) in the same class with Loretto (519).

There is a wide gap between all schools from the top to the bottom of each class. I really don't think it

matters too much. If you are going to have just 3 classes...that will happen. I don't think softball and

Sports besides football don't matter that much. I can quote numerous games if you like.

I don't think anybody is arguing that football is force behind all decisions, but to say that the size of the pool to choose from "don't matter that much" can only be based on one thing........Your opinion. Anyone as close to the other sports as those with FB will not ever understand you beliefs. JMO

I don't think anybody is arguing that football is force behind all decisions, but to say that the size of the pool to choose from "don't matter that much" can only be based on one thing........Your opinion. Anyone as close to the other sports as those with FB will not ever understand you beliefs. JMO

I was directly involved with baseball and softball for many years. We were in the same region with David Lipscomb...and lost to them twice in the region. I didn't think a thing about it. With only 3 classes...it was not a factor.

We went toe to toe with AAA and DII schools also.

I didn't say the size of the school does not matter especially for football. It clearly does. What I did say was that we were chastised for moving up to play much larger schools than us. We did not want to be in the same region with Goodpasture and David Lipscomb. It was not because we couldn't compete. They are much smaller schools than the ones in our region.

It matters if you are a basketball player.

I agree with your premise on 3 classes in basketball, but I will point out that 350 is actually a Class A enrollment and 1167 is AAA.....that is a difference.