Cocke County Football - Newport, TN

foshizzle

My brother-in-laws kid has played there and they have failed to score in the last 3 weeks. The school has historically had solid football programs, but they have not had a .500 record in 12 years.... YIKES! I think in the last 4 or 5 years they have won something like 8 games overall... that worse than the Oakland Raiders. Forecast looks like 0-10 this year.

From other news and posts, I have heard that there are barely 20+ kids playing as we speak. Also in the off-season, the school/coaches ran off former colleges coaches and a former NFL combine coach. With a school that was really good 15-20 years ago... why is there not more going on to help turn around the program? All I hear is "They don't care", "It's the AD's fault", "Not enough talent", etc.........

My family that I speak of lives near the Hamblen/Cocke county line has 2 more boys and they have stated that the next 2 (players) will be going to one of the Morristown schools or even Jeff Co.

Also, why is the other school in town (Cosby) so good? Do the good athletes go to Cosby or do the Newport coaches run them off? Also does other schools like Jeff Co. and South Green get players that do not want to play for CCHS?

Thanks for all the insight!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forgot to add 1 more question...

With Cocke County being a 4A school.... their enrollment is close to 1,400 kids.... thats mind blowing when you hear that the school can barely get 30 kids to come out for football.

Just wanted to get more of the numbers out there.

Also, does the school board not compare or care about athletics at the school or is it a Cosby/Cocke County civil war?

I forgot to add 1 more question...

With Cocke County being a 4A school.... their enrollment is close to 1,400 kids.... thats mind blowing when you hear that the school can barely get 30 kids to come out for football.

Just wanted to get more of the numbers out there.

Also, does the school board not compare or care about athletics at the school or is it a Cosby/Cocke County civil war?

I say we have cocke co. and unicoi co. play and the winner gets home field advantage for their conference in the quarterfinals of the playoffs. We could have cockfighting at the game also to bring in a bigger crowd. An on-site dentist would be available as well. Call Don King. What does everybody think?

I say we have cocke co. and unicoi co. play and the winner gets home field advantage for their conference in the quarterfinals of the playoffs. We could have cockfighting at the game also to bring in a bigger crowd. An on-site dentist would be available as well. Call Don King. What does everybody think?

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

(Jim Mora voice)- UH, playoff's??? You kidding me..... Playoffs?

The meth lab trailer bowl? ..... j/k

Unfortunately these schools get laughed at due to the expense of uncontrollable stuff. I played against CCHS in 1987 and even though my team won the game, it was one of the hardest hitting agressive games I played in that year. Thats what I will always remember about Cocke County.... physical team that will hit you and no it seems that those days will never be back. It's hard to see a program that I once respected go down the tubes... and for what and why?

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

(Jim Mora voice)- UH, playoff's??? You kidding me..... Playoffs?

The meth lab trailer bowl? ..... j/k

Unfortunately these schools get laughed at due to the expense of uncontrollable stuff. I played against CCHS in 1987 and even though my team won the game, it was one of the hardest hitting agressive games I played in that year. Thats what I will always remember about Cocke County.... physical team that will hit you and no it seems that those days will never be back. It's hard to see a program that I once respected go down the tubes... and for what and why?

Well Cocke County has a proud history of playing tough physical football...but sadly those days have not ben around for awhile now...2001 the team was pretty good beating Mo West and some other good teams...If I were to put blame on three things for the state of the program it would be lack of care, administration and coaching problems, and lack of kids coming out for football

My first year on the team was 2003...The varsity had about 20 so kids on the rost, so our entire freshman team got moved up to play on varsity and junior varsity. The numbers were bad every year I was on the team and are still bad currently. My junior year we ended up with 28 players on the squad. Freshman team gets moved up to varsity basically every year. Had two different coaches in my time there...one basically quit on us and the other just didnt know how to coach really. The administration has made some bad hires and has the whole feeder system messed up. Nobody comes out to play football, and everybody just likes to sit back and make fun of the team.

I don't really see the team improving in the future either. We had some alright talent during most of the years between 2000-2007 that could have seen some playoff teams, but just didnt happen. We had quie a few people go to Cosby when I was in high school, but I think most of the Cosby players are from Cosby except one or two. Congrats to their coaches for turning the thing around there.

Things can be turned around at Cocke County HS too. It will take some special coaching staff who understand, not only how to coach X's and O's but who are willing to help build the program from the ground up. Success starts with the feeder programs: little league and middle school. They have a proud history of playing tough hard nosed style of football. With the right coaching staffs, which may very well be there now, on all levels and THE COMMUNITY SUPPORT, Cocke county can return.

It would also help if they paid their coach's a salary comparable to surrounding counties.

GO COCKES!

Things can be turned around at Cocke County HS too. It will take some special coaching staff who understand, not only how to coach X's and O's but who are willing to help build the program from the ground up. Success starts with the feeder programs: little league and middle school. They have a proud history of playing tough hard nosed style of football. With the right coaching staffs, which may very well be there now, on all levels and THE COMMUNITY SUPPORT, Cocke county can return.

It would also help if they paid their coach's a salary comparable to surrounding counties.

GO COCKES!

Very well said GHOST /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> I agree /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Very well said GHOST /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> I agree /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

The administration needs to put a real effort into finding the right people to get the feeder systems and the varsity program back on the right track. The money does need to be raised for salaries for teachers/coaches. Give the kids a reason to come out and play for CCHS again

IT CAN HAPPEN IN COCKE COUNTY! JUST HAVE TO GET THE RIGHT PEOPLE IN THERE AND THEN SUPPORT AND KEEP THEM.

Split Back are you ready for the challenge?

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

You have to admit splitback, we could have made it happen! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />