Cocke County Football - Newport, TN

foshizzle

I don't know if the school situation will ever change

I think it could, if there was some changes at the top of mountain and all the way down. I want to see Cocke County succeed again in football and all there sports. I dont think that it is just the football coach or football coaches. The kids and athletes are there. It has to start at the top !

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it could, if there was some changes at the top of mountain and all the way down. I want to see Cocke County succeed again in football and all there sports. I dont think that it is just the football coach or football coaches. The kids and athletes are there. It has to start at the top !

yep, have to have some changing at the top in order for anything to change down below. Gotta get more kids out to play these next few years. With the kids they got playing now, it could be some long years with like 20 kids on the team. Bust it in the weight room to maximize the abilities that are there and get people to come out in the spring.

#1 - Player development

#2 - Community Support

#3 - Administrative Support

#4 - Coaches & Players work ethic

#5 - Feeder systems

#6 - Booster Programs

#7 - Scheduling - regular season & scrimmages

Now that I have discussed #2, #3, #5, and #6.... lets move to #7 - Scheduling (regular season and scrimmages)

OK here is my first beef... school's athletic budgets are critical nowadays. With travel, food, and bus costs, why not try and schedule teams in your immediate area? With CCHS's record these past few years, I do not think you have to worry about scheduling for state championships, much less conference championships. So, why not schedule some teams in the lower divisions that you might have a chance to win and develop players? I mean there is just a handful of players now for CCHS and NONE know how to win... at all. Truth hurts. So - why not schedule a North Greene? A West Greene? A Gatlinburg-Pittman? Pigeon Forge? And most importantly the most confusing one... COSBY? The Cosby thing has baffled me for years? You have a school in YOUR OWN FREAKING BACKYARD and yet you refuse to play them.... AND FOR WHAT? SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS TO ME IN A LOGICAL SENSE! It has to be pure fear on CCHS' part... it's got to be. Makes no sense for the schools not to play. Plus it would provide for increased ticket sales and attendance for both basketball and football. I hear excuses of security and whatnot.... but space me the worthless talk of that... if Austin East and Fulton can play, I think Cosby/CCHS would be fine. Schedule some teams and win a few games (1 or 2 in this case) and BUILD YOUR PROGRAM UP! The players need confidence and with the regional re-alignment... CCHS is staring into the barrel of a gun.

Next up - scrimmages. It has amazed me for the past two years that I have actually had knowledge about the program is the scrimmages that are set up, not only in spring, but in the fall as well. True story- in the spring of 2007, CCHS was set to scrimmage Bearden. Well the CCHS coach at the time cancelled the scrimmage because of a shortage of players at the tailback position... they only had 2 players. Well BOO FREAKING HOO! There were 50 other players at that time and the players were ticked by the cancellation. They wanted to play it... they were hungry to play it. Besides, how can you not play it and give your players the vision of a strong program by not going? I mean I'm sure they preach things about becoming a powerhouse, but if the players never see it, then how can they have the vision to work for it? The Bearden story is true and I DARE anyone to comment otherwise. It was also stated "we don't want to get too many players hurt." If that was the case, then why the h3ll did you schedule the scrimmage in the first place??? It would also be recommended to schedule more than 2 scrimmages in the Spring, other than an inter-squad game. How else can you accurately evaluate the players you got and set your positions by just prctice and 1 or 2 scrimmages? Plus schedule a powerhouse. Give your players a chance to go against some of the better competition. If your worried about getting hurt, some injuries are just freak things and bad luck... if your worried about getting thrown around, maybe it's time to address your strength and conditioning program and preparation (which will be discussed later). Besides, what do you have to lose? You're already getting blown out by 5th and 6th place teams in your own conference on Friday nights, so whats a scrimmage going to hurt? Give the players a chance and have them battle tested before the season begins!

Now that I have discussed #2, #3, #5, and #6.... lets move to #7 - Scheduling (regular season and scrimmages)

OK here is my first beef... school's athletic budgets are critical nowadays. With travel, food, and bus costs, why not try and schedule teams in your immediate area? With CCHS's record these past few years, I do not think you have to worry about scheduling for state championships, much less conference championships. So, why not schedule some teams in the lower divisions that you might have a chance to win and develop players? I mean there is just a handful of players now for CCHS and NONE know how to win... at all. Truth hurts. So - why not schedule a North Greene? A West Greene? A Gatlinburg-Pittman? Pigeon Forge? And most importantly the most confusing one... COSBY? The Cosby thing has baffled me for years? You have a school in YOUR OWN FREAKING BACKYARD and yet you refuse to play them.... AND FOR WHAT? SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS TO ME IN A LOGICAL SENSE! It has to be pure fear on CCHS' part... it's got to be. Makes no sense for the schools not to play. Plus it would provide for increased ticket sales and attendance for both basketball and football. I hear excuses of security and whatnot.... but space me the worthless talk of that... if Austin East and Fulton can play, I think Cosby/CCHS would be fine. Schedule some teams and win a few games (1 or 2 in this case) and BUILD YOUR PROGRAM UP! The players need confidence and with the regional re-alignment... CCHS is staring into the barrel of a gun.

Next up - scrimmages. It has amazed me for the past two years that I have actually had knowledge about the program is the scrimmages that are set up, not only in spring, but in the fall as well. True story- in the spring of 2007, CCHS was set to scrimmage Bearden. Well the CCHS coach at the time cancelled the scrimmage because of a shortage of players at the tailback position... they only had 2 players. Well BOO FREAKING HOO! There were 50 other players at that time and the players were ticked by the cancellation. They wanted to play it... they were hungry to play it. Besides, how can you not play it and give your players the vision of a strong program by not going? I mean I'm sure they preach things about becoming a powerhouse, but if the players never see it, then how can they have the vision to work for it? The Bearden story is true and I DARE anyone to comment otherwise. It was also stated "we don't want to get too many players hurt." If that was the case, then why the h3ll did you schedule the scrimmage in the first place??? It would also be recommended to schedule more than 2 scrimmages in the Spring, other than an inter-squad game. How else can you accurately evaluate the players you got and set your positions by just prctice and 1 or 2 scrimmages? Plus schedule a powerhouse. Give your players a chance to go against some of the better competition. If your worried about getting hurt, some injuries are just freak things and bad luck... if your worried about getting thrown around, maybe it's time to address your strength and conditioning program and preparation (which will be discussed later). Besides, what do you have to lose? You're already getting blown out by 5th and 6th place teams in your own conference on Friday nights, so whats a scrimmage going to hurt? Give the players a chance and have them battle tested before the season begins!

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Well CCHS has scrimmaged the pigeon forges, the gp's, the west greenes all here recently

i think they may have lost the pigeon forge and west greene ones actually?? not sure

Im confused by the walker valley scheduling especially with the travel costs these daya...should have left south greene on the schedule...its probably the most heated game we played every year recently because we live right beside the guys and dont like each other lol

i rememberd they cancelled a scrimmage in the spring last year..never asked or heard why..i know bearden came here my senior year for a spring scrimmage for a run vs. run, pass vs. pass, one on one type scrimmage because we didnt really have any time to have anything in place by that time....we won the run period actually....did anyone here go to any cchs scrimmages in the last few years?? i know we come out on top of sullivan north..split with sullivan south..lost 2-0 to red bank..beat GP and pigeon forge every time....just wondering if anybody saw and can help explain why we show wat kind of team we can be in a scrimmage but cant take it to a game??? my guess has always been special teams, depth, and coaching

think playoffs are out of the question for a lil while..so scheduling some lower area teams would be wise..bring in more gate probably...i can see that being likely with the staff they have up there now..crawford wanted to schedule up but i think kelley will want to schedule down...just based on seeing who scrimmage opponents have been while he's been there

the whole cosby argument...answer i have heard from the AD before is that its a lose-lose situation..dangerous for CCHS...it would be huge for the community in basketball and now football...get everybody excited

Its not a lose-lose for kingston to play lil ole harriman or lenoir city to play Greenback? Man thats a bunch of noise. Tell Laryy Williams to sack up and schedule Cosby in basketball and baseball. Trust me Cosby would love to

When I was in high school some years ago, we always played Cosby in baseball. I think that the prospect of a home and home series in basketball would be exciting and VERY competitive. I can kinda understand, but don't agree with the lose-lose thought of a football game though. I can hear it now...If Cosby beats CCHS, "We beat up on a 4A school", if CCHS beats Cosby, "They were supposed to beat us, we're a 1A school". With that said, I believe the gate draw would be big enough to make the prospect of a game between Cosby and CCHS a "win-win" situation for both schools, I would be willing to bet the gate draw could possibly be as big as the crowds of old when Jefferson County came calling to Hedrick Field. I don't believe you could play home and home though, as Cosby doesn't have the stadium to hold the crowd that would gather for the game. The game would almost have to be played at CCHS to be able to handle the crowd. Just my opinion, but I don't think either group of kids would shy away from playing this game, I think excitement in Cocke County would be through the roof, especially for the kids. It seems as if somewhere along the way, the kids have been lost in the shuffle at Cocke County High School, especially in relation to the football program.

When I was in high school some years ago, we always played Cosby in baseball. I think that the prospect of a home and home series in basketball would be exciting and VERY competitive. I can kinda understand, but don't agree with the lose-lose thought of a football game though. I can hear it now...If Cosby beats CCHS, "We beat up on a 4A school", if CCHS beats Cosby, "They were supposed to beat us, we're a 1A school". With that said, I believe the gate draw would be big enough to make the prospect of a game between Cosby and CCHS a "win-win" situation for both schools, I would be willing to bet the gate draw could possibly be as big as the crowds of old when Jefferson County came calling to Hedrick Field. I don't believe you could play home and home though, as Cosby doesn't have the stadium to hold the crowd that would gather for the game. The game would almost have to be played at CCHS to be able to handle the crowd. Just my opinion, but I don't think either group of kids would shy away from playing this game, I think excitement in Cocke County would be through the roof, especially for the kids. It seems as if somewhere along the way, the kids have been lost in the shuffle at Cocke County High School, especially in relation to the football program.

That's the answer thats usually given of a lose-lose situation for CCHS..I think CCHS would have a pretty good chance of losing this year. Just no numbers and lack of skill on the team. The gate draw would be HUGE. I think they still play in baseball??...Basketball would be huge as Cosby has always been the basketball powerhouse and some of the CCHS kids like to transfer up there. The football would be big now as well as the argument has really gotten started over "who wins". Game would have to be at CCHS for football to hold the crowd.

That's the answer thats usually given of a lose-lose situation for CCHS..I think CCHS would have a pretty good chance of losing this year. Just no numbers and lack of skill on the team. The gate draw would be HUGE. I think they still play in baseball??...Basketball would be huge as Cosby has always been the basketball powerhouse and some of the CCHS kids like to transfer up there. The football would be big now as well as the argument has really gotten started over "who wins". Game would have to be at CCHS for football to hold the crowd.

Naaaah , we could put people on the roof of the elementary gym , standing room in the cow pasture , watch from parked cars in the old dirt road running by the field , we would get everybody in there somehow , we could only hope none of CCHS players scraped a knee when they landed on some sand gravel and dirt running across midfield /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

For the kids and the budgets of both school, how in the heck is it a lose/lose situation? There is no one here that can justify that!

You would save on travel expenses and it could be a coin flip on who would win.

It's a freaking shame, it really is and theres one or two people that are preventing this series from happening.

The question remains.... why not play?

Spare me the security thing. You would not believe the crowds you see down here in the Miami Dade/Broward area. Im sure high school games in Texas and California are more high octane than CCHS/Cosby.

I have said it before and I will say it again... if your going to compare security and local schools, if Austin-East and Fulton can play (and they do so every year), why can't a dying 4-A program face an upstart 1-A program?

When the schools stat charging activity fees like some schools do to play athletics when the schools themselves don't have money in the athletic budgets to pay for equipment, uniforms, and other things... just think about how this series (in all sports, other than football) would help both schools tremendously!

For the kids and the budgets of both school, how in the heck is it a lose/lose situation? There is no one here that can justify that!

You would save on travel expenses and it could be a coin flip on who would win.

It's a freaking shame, it really is and theres one or two people that are preventing this series from happening.

The question remains.... why not play?

Spare me the security thing. You would not believe the crowds you see down here in the Miami Dade/Broward area. Im sure high school games in Texas and California are more high octane than CCHS/Cosby.

I have said it before and I will say it again... if your going to compare security and local schools, if Austin-East and Fulton can play (and they do so every year), why can't a dying 4-A program face an upstart 1-A program?

When the schools stat charging activity fees like some schools do to play athletics when the schools themselves don't have money in the athletic budgets to pay for equipment, uniforms, and other things... just think about how this series (in all sports, other than football) would help both schools tremendously!

Well said but everybody here in the county knows that it will never happen! /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Well said but everybody here in the county knows that it will never happen! /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Well since you are a coach at Cosby, why not make a "public challenge" to the school? Have the coaches from Cosby issue a challenge to the CCHS coaches. Get the newpaper involved and some people with some leverage in town. The whole thing is just stupid. It's almost like South Greene not playing North Greene or West Greene. 2 high schools in the same town and they won't play because there are a handful of people that prevent it becuase they were selfish enough by trying to bar Cosby from having a football program in the first place... it's actually far from silly, it's just plain DUMB!