Cocke County Football - Newport, TN

foshizzle

Well since you are a coach at Cosby, why not make a "public challenge" to the school? Have the coaches from Cosby issue a challenge to the CCHS coaches. Get the newpaper involved and some people with some leverage in town. The whole thing is just stupid. It's almost like South Greene not playing North Greene or West Greene. 2 high schools in the same town and they won't play because there are a handful of people that prevent it becuase they were selfish enough by trying to bar Cosby from having a football program in the first place... it's actually far from silly, it's just plain DUMB!

I agree, but you know how things work around here, if a couple dont want it to get done, its not getting done no matter what or who says anything!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#1 - Player development

#4 - Coaches & Players work ethic

Well I have hit on everything but these last two things. I'm probably going to stir up the bees on this one, but I have worked with some players that were really affected by an 0-10 year at CCHS this season. Sorry, I care for them deeply. It's hard to go after one person, a group of people or whatnot. During the course of last year (2007) people were screaming for an offensive switch back to splitbacks, i-formations and etc. Well the people got their wish this year and even with the installation of the same offense CCHS used to run, the results were much worse. CCHS failed to compete in any game this year - whether you like it or not. Let's start with coaches...

First off, my professional background goes like this... In the past 13 years, I have worked not only in succesful high school settings, but I have also worked for 2 Division I universities (Big East & SEC), and for 2 NFL franchises. I have also worked for a professional sports performance firm that specialized working with elite NFL players like Jamal Lewis, Randy Moss, Larry Fitzgerald, Misty May and many more.... soooooooo, with that said, the coaches and athletes that I have worked with and been around, I feel like I have somewhat of a clue on what it takes not only to develop athletes, but see how winning programs operate. Now, we are talking Cocke Country high school here, not the Miami Dolphins... and come on, however you draw it up, a high school cannot be run like a pro team or college team... but tell that to folks and coaches in Texas, California, and Florida.

Here is my 2?? on this issue... somewhere along the way, accountability has been thrown out the window. One from the administration to the coaches, and two from the coaches to the players. Football in today's reality IS a year round thing. This goes into strength and conditioning as well as summer camps, fundamentals, scrimmages, etc. I do think that the new head coach CAN get the job done, but until some new coaches (not volunteers either!) are brought in and some attention given to the freshman program and middle school programs, things will not be good. The situation and program CAN win, but it's realistically 4 or 5 years away from doing that. I think from the coaching standpoint it goes far beyond X's and O's, playcalling, and systems. Those are fine... I think it goes on discipline, accountability, and organization. Im not saying that some of these are not taking place, but some need to be addressed. If these are stressed at the middle school and freshman levels, for the future maybe the players coming in can buy into whats going on rather than trying to get players who have been playing to buy in. Who really knows, but I will say this, coaches need to be the authoritive figures and be coaches and role models for players rather than being friends and taking players out to Hooters and other inappropriate things. If 2 or 3 coaches, not retreads (outside people), can be added to the mix, I can firmly tell you that the situation would change greatly! Also, get INVOLVED with your youth programs, show that you care, show that your interested. One of the middle school coaches told me that this year , NOT ONE VARSITY COACH came to watch them play. That person has also stated that not one coach has ever addressed or talked to the middle school team. Parents have stated to me that they are tired of the younger programs not having enough coaches and not knowing about scheduling and other things until the last minute. These are things that can easily be changed and it's probably just again, an organizational issue. This serves as in no way, shape or form that the CCHS coaches just don't care. Thats not the point, they do care, but all need to do everything it takes. And thats everyone... not just the head coach!

I will post on player development on another post.

Next up- player development.

Well here we go. This is one of the things I can honestly say is one of things that directly stands out. As a whole, the players are weak, they are slow, they cannot move, and most are out of shape! I have seen this with my own eyes and I hear of it from todays players for whom I communicate with. I hope that CCHS doesn't do the annual "we start back up after Christmas break" routine this year. Take 1 week OFF and get your players back in the weight room!!! And for goodness sake, in the summer, do not just leave the weightroom open with a sign in sheet. High school student-athletes are not going to do everything unsupervised. And if they don't make their times and tests in the fall, what are you to do? Kick them off a 0-10 football team? Set goals and objectives. Make attendance mandatory. Offer special awards like # choice, names on back of jerseys, lifting competitions, etc. Have like a team running and lifting olympics competition and do it before spring practice. Open it up to the public and charge a few bucks. Get the community involved and let your players have some excitement. Back to development, it's really a thing where education is a factor... true story... this past spring, at the University of Tennessee Strength & Conditioning clinic, there were 5 COSBY COACHES THERE AND NOT 1 CCHS COACH. Well let's see, Cosby lost some good seniors from 2007 and CCHS brought most players back. Cosby is now 1 game away from going from 2-8 to a district championship and CCHS did worse finishing 0-10. I guess those coaches must have learned something and actually carried what they learned out. (I hope they comment on that later in this thread.)

This whole player development is more than just how much you bench and 40 times. It's about developing athletes. Not only strength, but power, speed, explosiveness, and flexibility. I offered my services to BOTH Cosby and CCHS athletes. I allowed players to train at a staggering $10 per workout. I later had to change to $20 because I cared enough about the athletes I had left, I would actually make the drive from CHARLOTTE, NC! During that time I was training, I did not have a lot of kids to work with. Some just were too lazy, some did not care. There were coaches (not just football) from both schools that even discouraged it, if you can believe that. They were told... "that stuff can't help you." I even had a summer strength and conditioning camp for elementary school kids. I personally appeared at each and every elementary school and talked to every student in class from grades 6th to 8th and gave each and every kid a flyer. The cost of the camp was $50 for 8 sessions (two weeks of work). 13 athletes came out. I guess it was an area thing and besides you will get that deal NO-WHERE in the USA. My Newport training ended early this past spring. I was told that I needed liability insurance in order to use the school's facilities by the ahtletic director. Well I guess he figured that I did not have it. I certainly did have it and through a national organization. Next the school gave me a sheet for "facility usage charge". Well this charge was higher for each time I was there. Besides I was doing this for the kids and barely making anything. I was training them on my own time from my NC athletes! I was there training kids for almost a year before this "charge" was put into place. (I would love to see what the Newport Theather Guild? is charged for using the school's gym and I bet it's not a penny) I suspect jealous football coaches in wanting to remove me. None would ever communicate with me. A few parents rallied for me to continue training and actually got a school board meeting set up. All football coaches were present, so it was actually funny. It was stated that CCHS already has "educated and qualified exercise physiologists and strength trainers" on staff and does no longer needs my services for it's athletes.

Well what happened to those "professionals" this year with the football program?

My advice to the CCHS coaches... all of them, not just football. Pay the $65-70 bucks and go to these educational clinics and learn. If you TRUELY care about the well being of your athletes and future development, don't cheat the athletes that are wanting and aspiring to play at the next level by "doing what we used to do." Give your athletes the tools to excel and provide them the best training you can. Shouldn't all coaches "strive" to do that for all the players?

My comments from these posts are the truths that I know from players, parents, middle school coaches, student-athletes, and my own experiences dealing with athletics and football in the Newport area. I would like to say that I am NOT hurt, angry, jealous, envious, looking for revenge, or even stating "I told you so." Also, in no way am I personally bashing any individuals on here. It may seem like it, but it's not. If this program (CCHS Football) is going to get back to it's winning ways, certain steps must be put into play rather than everyone crossing fingers and hoping for more than 1 win. If I did not think CCHS could ever be a winner, then I certainly not would have ever commented on this topic and have answered an email from a complete stranger to come to this thread. I live far away in Florida now and I hope CCHS can do something in the future. As a former football player myself and alumni, I still have some pride left (although it is very small). If I can motivate anyone in the community, coaching staff, current players, new players, anyone, then I can be satisfied that my comments helped. In finishing, CCHS student-athletes are good people, all of them, I know that with the proper direction, that school can be good again. Until that time, I hope everything is done to get the very best out of the players, on the field and off! It starts from the top down (this does not include the head FB coach) and until then, the CCHS situation will not improve!

Well here we go. This is one of the things I can honestly say is one of things that directly stands out. As a whole, the players are weak, they are slow, they cannot move, and most are out of shape! I have seen this with my own eyes and I hear of it from todays players for whom I communicate with. I hope that CCHS doesn't do the annual "we start back up after Christmas break" routine this year. Take 1 week OFF and get your players back in the weight room!!! And for goodness sake, in the summer, do not just leave the weightroom open with a sign in sheet. High school student-athletes are not going to do everything unsupervised. And if they don't make their times and tests in the fall, what are you to do? Kick them off a 0-10 football team? Set goals and objectives. Make attendance mandatory. Offer special awards like # choice, names on back of jerseys, lifting competitions, etc. Have like a team running and lifting olympics competition and do it before spring practice. Open it up to the public and charge a few bucks. Get the community involved and let your players have some excitement. Back to development, it's really a thing where education is a factor... true story... this past spring, at the University of Tennessee Strength & Conditioning clinic, there were 5 COSBY COACHES THERE AND NOT 1 CCHS COACH. Well let's see, Cosby lost some good seniors from 2007 and CCHS brought most players back. Cosby is now 1 game away from going from 2-8 to a district championship and CCHS did worse finishing 0-10. I guess those coaches must have learned something and actually carried what they learned out. (I hope they comment on that later in this thread.)

This whole player development is more than just how much you bench and 40 times. It's about developing athletes. Not only strength, but power, speed, explosiveness, and flexibility. I offered my services to BOTH Cosby and CCHS athletes. I allowed players to train at a staggering $10 per workout. I later had to change to $20 because I cared enough about the athletes I had left, I would actually make the drive from CHARLOTTE, NC! During that time I was training, I did not have a lot of kids to work with. Some just were too lazy, some did not care. There were coaches (not just football) from both schools that even discouraged it, if you can believe that. They were told... "that stuff can't help you." I even had a summer strength and conditioning camp for elementary school kids. I personally appeared at each and every elementary school and talked to every student in class from grades 6th to 8th and gave each and every kid a flyer. The cost of the camp was $50 for 8 sessions (two weeks of work). 13 athletes came out. I guess it was an area thing and besides you will get that deal NO-WHERE in the USA. My Newport training ended early this past spring. I was told that I needed liability insurance in order to use the school's facilities by the ahtletic director. Well I guess he figured that I did not have it. I certainly did have it and through a national organization. Next the school gave me a sheet for "facility usage charge". Well this charge was higher for each time I was there. Besides I was doing this for the kids and barely making anything. I was training them on my own time from my NC athletes! I was there training kids for almost a year before this "charge" was put into place. (I would love to see what the Newport Theather Guild? is charged for using the school's gym and I bet it's not a penny) I suspect jealous football coaches in wanting to remove me. None would ever communicate with me. A few parents rallied for me to continue training and actually got a school board meeting set up. All football coaches were present, so it was actually funny. It was stated that CCHS already has "educated and qualified exercise physiologists and strength trainers" on staff and does no longer needs my services for it's athletes.

Well what happened to those "professionals" this year with the football program?

My advice to the CCHS coaches... all of them, not just football. Pay the $65-70 bucks and go to these educational clinics and learn. If you TRUELY care about the well being of your athletes and future development, don't cheat the athletes that are wanting and aspiring to play at the next level by "doing what we used to do." Give your athletes the tools to excel and provide them the best training you can. Shouldn't all coaches "strive" to do that for all the players?

My comments from these posts are the truths that I know from players, parents, middle school coaches, student-athletes, and my own experiences dealing with athletics and football in the Newport area. I would like to say that I am NOT hurt, angry, jealous, envious, looking for revenge, or even stating "I told you so." Also, in no way am I personally bashing any individuals on here. It may seem like it, but it's not. If this program (CCHS Football) is going to get back to it's winning ways, certain steps must be put into play rather than everyone crossing fingers and hoping for more than 1 win. If I did not think CCHS could ever be a winner, then I certainly not would have ever commented on this topic and have answered an email from a complete stranger to come to this thread. I live far away in Florida now and I hope CCHS can do something in the future. As a former football player myself and alumni, I still have some pride left (although it is very small). If I can motivate anyone in the community, coaching staff, current players, new players, anyone, then I can be satisfied that my comments helped. In finishing, CCHS student-athletes are good people, all of them, I know that with the proper direction, that school can be good again. Until that time, I hope everything is done to get the very best out of the players, on the field and off! It starts from the top down (this does not include the head FB coach) and until then, the CCHS situation will not improve!

Wow, great insight. I knew something was up when I read those Cocke County Plain Talk articles about the school board meetings, parent committee, and your position.

Hey, by the way, can you fly up from Florida to train our athletes? I can see if we can put something together for you if you do the clinic stuff. We were going to get BFS to do something like that, but we had some people get hurt from the box squatting stuff they were doing. Thanks for your insight and information. One of the Newport players' parents told me you would be a great person to speak with on this topic and he said you cared about a lot about the kids you worked with. Good luck!

Just a couple comments here , I think your right about Coaching training , Its just as important as player training and I know Cosbys coaches go to multiple clinics on everything from x's and o's , physical conditioning , to player safety and health clinincs. Cosby uses several training techniques they always have (coach shelton really knows his stuff there) several they picked up from you , and others they have learned over the years from multiple clinics , and I think it shows!

As far as the game between Cosby and CCHS , It may be closer to happening than it ever has been , but I still wouldn't hold my breath waitin on it. I personally like the head coach there now and if given the time I think he can turn things around , but I think they WILL indeed have to show more interest and have more input on their middle school team cause thats were it all starts for the future of the program.

Wpfast is correct in his views. I grew up in Cocke County and live in Maryville now. Come take an in-depth look at the Maryvillke program. You will see all the things wpfast mentioned. Do I like Maryville football? NO but I do respect their program. We are in the Heritage district and have our own problems, mostly from the standpoint of losing talent to Maryville as well as Alcoa. Both Maryville and Alcoa are tuition schools and several kids throughout Blount County pay to go to the city schools, sort of like Newport Grammar was in the 60's and 70's. I am sure there is no direct violation of TSSAA rules by either school but there is a lot of peer pressure, especially where talented players are concerned. That aside, both Maryville and Alcoa are very successful due to the mindset and dedication that wpfast described. Good luck with your program in the future.

Hey, by the way, can you fly up from Florida to train our athletes? I can see if we can put something together for you if you do the clinic stuff. We were going to get BFS to do something like that, but we had some people get hurt from the box squatting stuff they were doing. Thanks for your insight and information. One of the Newport players' parents told me you would be a great person to speak with on this topic and he said you cared about a lot about the kids you worked with. Good luck!

Well I will never say no! See what you can come up with and if anything, maybe our facility could provide you some workouts, speed protocols, and a conditioning program. Let me know if you need position specific or something like a plyometric program. We cover the whole spectrum down here in FL, even to the point of pool recovery workouts and inseason injury prevention programs that feature stretch bands and sports massage, so if you have any questions, I would be happy to help. You can email me at the same address! Thanks! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Just a couple comments here , I think your right about Coaching training , Its just as important as player training and I know Cosbys coaches go to multiple clinics on everything from x's and o's , physical conditioning , to player safety and health clinincs. Cosby uses several training techniques they always have (coach shelton really knows his stuff there) several they picked up from you , and others they have learned over the years from multiple clinics , and I think it shows!

As far as the game between Cosby and CCHS , It may be closer to happening than it ever has been , but I still wouldn't hold my breath waitin on it. I personally like the head coach there now and if given the time I think he can turn things around , but I think they WILL indeed have to show more interest and have more input on their middle school team cause thats were it all starts for the future of the program.

Well I know Cosby has 4 or 5 coaches at the one strength and conditioning clinic this past year and I know Cosby has had the players attend the clinic in the past few years because I have seen them there and they were there when I worked for the University. The thing thats important is, you guys have players ASK the coaches about going! This past season, only 3 CCHS players asked about going and I know I talked to Shelton about the CCHS players joining the Cosby group. So with both players and coaches attending, it's definately a great thing for you to pick up on what the colleges are doing and adds an extra level to the offseason development for your program. I would hope that Cocke County would send players AND coaches to this clinic this spring because they need it badly. I will go out on a limb and say this.... if both players and coaches from CCHS actually go to that UT Strength Clinic and take what they learn and apply it to thier program and be dedicated to it... I would almost guarentee that they would win at LEAST 3 games! I guess until then, they will just open up a weightroom door and post workouts on the wall. If any CCHS parents/players are reading this, send your kids to this clinic in March and if you need a brochure or any information about it, email ME and I will get the necessary information to you IF your coaches arenot providing/offering it!!!

Thanks for your comments Coach _ _ _ _ and I'm glad to see you guys doing well!

Wpfast is correct in his views. I grew up in Cocke County and live in Maryville now. Come take an in-depth look at the Maryvillke program. You will see all the things wpfast mentioned. Do I like Maryville football? NO but I do respect their program. We are in the Heritage district and have our own problems, mostly from the standpoint of losing talent to Maryville as well as Alcoa. Both Maryville and Alcoa are tuition schools and several kids throughout Blount County pay to go to the city schools, sort of like Newport Grammar was in the 60's and 70's. I am sure there is no direct violation of TSSAA rules by either school but there is a lot of peer pressure, especially where talented players are concerned. That aside, both Maryville and Alcoa are very successful due to the mindset and dedication that wpfast described. Good luck with your program in the future.

THANK YOU! How many state titles has Maryville won again? Haha- I know it's a lot. It's that part of the program (training and developing) that really helps and thats the type of training I tried to get CCHS to adopt in order to help their athletic programs. I got a lot of "that junk doesn't work" and "we don't need that stuff" comments. When some of these coaches (and you know who you are) take a stand and do everything they can for the kids to get the very best out of them, I promise you, things will be different. I think it can happen in Newport, I truely do, but until someone or something stomps the ignorance out of some of the coaches, nothing will change. As I said before, if these coaches can go to bed at night knowing that they did EVERYTHING in their power and ability to make the program better, then I guess there are no gripes. All I can say is look at the whole program - middle school to freshmen to JV to Varsity and when there are only a few games won between ALL teams, something is definately wrong. Let's hope CCHS can take a negative and turn it into a positive and do some major work in the offseason to rebuild a once great program. I hope the kids start back very soon. Preach hard work, hunger, and put some sort of attitude and intensity into the offseason.

If your looking for a motto CCHS... I would use this one and stick to it:

NO REST UNTIL RESPECT

THANK YOU! How many state titles has Maryville won again? Haha- I know it's a lot. It's that part of the program (training and developing) that really helps and thats the type of training I tried to get CCHS to adopt in order to help their athletic programs. I got a lot of "that junk doesn't work" and "we don't need that stuff" comments. When some of these coaches (and you know who you are) take a stand and do everything they can for the kids to get the very best out of them, I promise you, things will be different. I think it can happen in Newport, I truely do, but until someone or something stomps the ignorance out of some of the coaches, nothing will change. As I said before, if these coaches can go to bed at night knowing that they did EVERYTHING in their power and ability to make the program better, then I guess there are no gripes. All I can say is look at the whole program - middle school to freshmen to JV to Varsity and when there are only a few games won between ALL teams, something is definately wrong. Let's hope CCHS can take a negative and turn it into a positive and do some major work in the offseason to rebuild a once great program. I hope the kids start back very soon. Preach hard work, hunger, and put some sort of attitude and intensity into the offseason.

If your looking for a motto CCHS... I would use this one and stick to it:

NO REST UNTIL RESPECT

I've been pretty upset by the player develepment part....It was the same way with Coach jones when he was there...Summer workouts were come in at nine..workout on the wall sign the sheet leave when ur done...One coach would usually be around cuz he was the only one that cared enough apparently...I went to bout all the workouts..and I'd say honestly we'd have 15 on a good day prob 5 on a bad day in there...only a few would do all the stuff....Crawford would put accountablity and effort into the weight program but it was a bad workout..I actually didnt go up in my lifts while he was there..and i went up like 40 lbs in the winter on my own...Heard the same thing from players this summer bout coming in signing the sheet and doing whatever..same old crap...Kelley can do the job but parker is right, new assistants will have to be brought in with a new accountability system

My first year or two with jones we had accountability..had strongman competitions and everything...idk why they wont put in a good solid program...workouts usually start after xmas break too

In 05, a couple of us just went to the UT camp on our own..one of our seniors brought in stuff to the weight room to tell everybody about it and offered everybody to go just pay the fee and he'd get us up there...I think about 7 of us ended up going...its great camp and i wish our coaches would have went...we had to go on our own tho

Looking back it was easy then cuz we didnt do anything, but I feel like we was cheated and not given a fair chance to succeed. I honestly think we had the talent to go to the playoffs, but nobody showed up or cared enough. Maryville is a prime example of what a good program can be. The kids arent overly good, big, or athletic..they just got a heck of a coach who has the best full program top to bottom all around. It's amazing how those kids fly to the ball and how quick and strong they are.

Give the kids a fair shot at having a good team for once. Put in a good program from middle school up. Thanks for the post wpfast..everything you said was tru and it shows a real insight to the program that i've been trying to share on here. I'm not tryin to just put everybody in the program down, but I do feel like the kids have been getting cheated..they get embarassed on the field when it shouldnt be that way. Here's to CCHS getting the program back on track. (Even if they do go all out and starting the program back up..its gonna take several years..cuz i feel like these next few years could be the worst yet unless things change)

Good topic! not a great title! just made it a little harder to get those kids out. i have many ideas and thoughts about this issue and many others that surround our youth. i have an answer to the problem, but it will never happen. as for the clinics. u bet we are going to be there. you commented on player development. one point would be coaches development. the game has changed and is changing. i love the comment about HS programs trying to be college. take for intance a coaching clinic. when you see who is going to be there its all college coaches and most of the time their major college coaches. so i have to disect and modify anything i think is usefull. why not have clinics for high school coaches with high school coaches DUH!!!!! most the things i do i got from coaching friends, being observant, and making modifications/additions to thinngs. hint the names on some players jerseys and some having black facemack. you asked for a comment, here you go this team is the fastest, strongest, most well conditioned TEAM i have had or seen here at COSBY! why is that? NOVEMBER THRU AUGUST. here is your answer to the problem(s) this applies county wide in all aspects of sports, education, politics, economilcal development, and even church growth.

THINK ABOUT SOMEONE OTHER THAN YOURSELF, AND WHATS BETTER FOR THE DEVELOPMENT OF YOUR FUTURE AND THE KIDS THAT WILL BE LIVING IN IT.

TAKE A DRIVE TO GRAINGER COUNTY AND LOOK AT THAT SCHOOL. WHILE YOU ARE THERE SEE HOW MANY PLANTS, RAFTING COMPANIES, SUBWAYS, BANKS, GAS STATIONS, FAST FOOD PLACES, GROCERY STORES, AND BEER JOINTS (DOWNTOWN) YOU SEE. hmmmmmm...................

Good topic! not a great title! just made it a little harder to get those kids out. i have many ideas and thoughts about this issue and many others that surround our youth. i have an answer to the problem, but it will never happen. as for the clinics. u bet we are going to be there. you commented on player development. one point would be coaches development. the game has changed and is changing. i love the comment about HS programs trying to be college. take for intance a coaching clinic. when you see who is going to be there its all college coaches and most of the time their major college coaches. so i have to disect and modify anything i think is usefull. why not have clinics for high school coaches with high school coaches DUH!!!!! most the things i do i got from coaching friends, being observant, and making modifications/additions to thinngs. hint the names on some players jerseys and some having black facemack. you asked for a comment, here you go this team is the fastest, strongest, most well conditioned TEAM i have had or seen here at COSBY! why is that? NOVEMBER THRU AUGUST. here is your answer to the problem(s) this applies county wide in all aspects of sports, education, politics, economilcal development, and even church growth.

THINK ABOUT SOMEONE OTHER THAN YOURSELF, AND WHATS BETTER FOR THE DEVELOPMENT OF YOUR FUTURE AND THE KIDS THAT WILL BE LIVING IN IT.

TAKE A DRIVE TO GRAINGER COUNTY AND LOOK AT THAT SCHOOL. WHILE YOU ARE THERE SEE HOW MANY PLANTS, RAFTING COMPANIES, SUBWAYS, BANKS, GAS STATIONS, FAST FOOD PLACES, GROCERY STORES, AND BEER JOINTS (DOWNTOWN) YOU SEE. hmmmmmm...................

I was all about having a Cocke County Coaching Clinic featuring 2 college coaches speaking on football techniques, myself and another college strength coach on player development, and even a famous guest speaker. This was a grat idea and I can give you one guess on "who" said "that may be too much trouble to put on".

Another deal I had in the works was to get Nike to sponsor a east Tennessee regional SPARQ combine. With my SPARQ certification, I could train other testers so that kids in the region could be tested and timed. Instead of many athletes going to places like South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida to get tesgted, there could be something in their backyard. What those jokes on the school board failed to realize is that with some of the connections I have, some great things could have been organized and facilitated at BOTH high schools and it would have benefited not only the coaches and kids, but also the community and the school systems. Not too many positives come out of Newport as far as athletics... they are few and far between. I had goals of helping every student athlete not only become a better athlete, but also give these kids an outlet for college by getting their names out to college programs. The coaches now do not help the kids ONE OUNCE!!!

Cosby is a little different and they have had more players play college football than Cocke County in recent times. That should say something right there...