Cocke County Football - Newport, TN

foshizzle

I would like to see a state of the program article...not so much to just tear apart the program..but to shed light on some of the things that most of the community probably doesn't know about what all has went on. It would help to shed light on the program so perhaps the community would get behind a major rebuliding program. PT is more critical while Meador is basically all positive, but look at the two programs they are writing for..one deserves criticism while one deserves praise. PT probably just doesn't want to be the source of an article that could ruffle some feathers around here. I don't blame him, but the community should be more informed about problems the program has.

The community knows what the problem is it's just that 50% don't care at all and 49% don't care enough to do anything about it. That leaves that 1% which is coaches and family trying to do it all on their own. No one seems to care about seeing either program in the county be successful. Cosby has done well lately but could be so much more with a little help. Like better fascilities ,Cosby has ONE field for 7 sports teams and an elementary playground(the little ones love our sandbox running across the 50 yardline) no practice field , limited practice equipment and an adequate stadium at best. Everything they have depends on the small amount of community support they get to keep the program going.

CCHS has some of that but when no one in the community shows any interest or support, the kids don't care and don't come out to play.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey WP aj....Get off PT's back....Now I agree that the Plain talk is a rag...but PT does his best, and if you don't think he is critical enough, just ask the current coaches what they think of him and his negativity. Paul Meador is the problem..not PT.

First off, the records of both high schools have NOTHING, let me REPEAT, NOTHING to do with any of these sports writers. The Plain Talk is always hurting for sports news and it takes forever to see anything on the website listed. See and track for yoursleves if you do not believe me. All I want is for the Newport local sports writers to comment on what they see or feel that should go on. BOTH writers post and view threads on this site. BOTH are lurking and remain quiet. It is their choice, but whats a few comments? Are you scared to offer some insight?... because neither writer will do it in the paper. I have offered my 2?? on this deal and have given plenty of examples on why things are the way they are. I did so because there were some kids I had worked with in the past and they were cheated each and every year!!! I live in Florida now and I could really care less at this point. I could bring middle school kids up to Newport and beat CCHS any time and any place! The difference between the 2 states is not about talent... it's really the coaching, dedication, development, discipline, and desire that coaches, support staffs, players, boosters, and other people involved bring to the table. This is from little leagues to high schools and even the transition to college.

So if Newport, CCHS, or what have you does not care, or does not want to be involved... then why have a team?

The absence of players on here sends the message of a gag order. There has been one player from the past comment on here, why not more? Former players? Parents, where are you? If you give a rats arse about your kids' future, why not get involved? I would love for a coach to get on here and tell me about the outline of the program, practices, off-season development, and organizational involvement of the program and why it is not working. Notice how they have not stepped forward in any defense... (just like the football team). Anyways, I'm sure I am now labeled the bad guy, the basher, the villian, the Florida guy that hates us.... whatever... if I did not care about the athletes who shed sweat and tears this season, the ones who were misled on false hope about a changing program, then why bother? No one else, but like 4 or 5 people seem to be wanting to take a stand... AND 2 OF THEM ARE COSBY COACHES!!! HAHA! I mean they care enough and they are part of a program that CCHS tries to ###### on every chance they can get!

If people do not want to step forward and try and make a difference for the kids and the program, then whats the use? I can sit down here (in FL) and be completely satisfied that I gave a small group of kids the best possible speed, strength, & agility training in this industry and gave them an opportunity to train like professional athletes and make a difference in their athletic careers and hopefully that attitude/work ethic would carry over to life's challenges. In turn, I was met by jealously, envy, and ignorance. I will say this one more time, if everything is not being done, this goes from offseason clinics, player recruitment (heck buy them shirts, jackets, whatever to get them out), player development, middle school involvement, boosters, the whole nine yards.... STEP UP OR STEP ASIDE!

If any CCHS players actually read this, I ask you to challenge your coaches to make you the best possible student-athlete you can possibly be. Work hard every day, attend the University of Tennessee Strength & Conditioning Clinic (even if you have to go with Cosby!), do speed work (RUN) in the winter, and get the best possible marks in the classroom, even if it means off-season study hall after weightlifting!

In closing, this really is not worth my time anymore... I would like to see CCHS win and be the steamroller instead of being part of the pavement. It can be done, it's very simple... it really is, but until everyone works together and puts all the BS aside, it will never, and I repeat, NEVER will work. I do wish everyone involved good luck, because you will need it. Be the best you can for your kids, seriously, because this stuff does not go on at other places and this era has tarnished a once proud and strong football program. The program, former players of the past deserve better and so do the current players.

Just get it right... no excuses, no exceptions.

The community knows what the problem is it's just that 50% don't care at all and 49% don't care enough to do anything about it. That leaves that 1% which is coaches and family trying to do it all on their own. No one seems to care about seeing either program in the county be successful. Cosby has done well lately but could be so much more with a little help. Like better fascilities ,Cosby has ONE field for 7 sports teams and an elementary playground(the little ones love our sandbox running across the 50 yardline) no practice field , limited practice equipment and an adequate stadium at best. Everything they have depends on the small amount of community support they get to keep the program going.

CCHS has some of that but when no one in the community shows any interest or support, the kids don't care and don't come out to play.

Thats about par for the course...

2 words on the facility... Title IX... but again, when it comes to legality, you think anyone will care? there are weight rooms left open with no supervision and the schools gyms are used by students and anyone in the community who wants to play basketball on the weekends. I always wondered what the case was in 2003 when I gave Cosby some practice gear from another school on why a school system with 2 high schools could not help outfit a football team. And get both schools an athletic trainer for crying out loud. This day and age, why on earth would you let coaches and other unqualified staff treat injuries, tape, and make any kind of medical decisions? There will be a lawsuit one of these days...

First off, the records of both high schools have NOTHING, let me REPEAT, NOTHING to do with any of these sports writers. The Plain Talk is always hurting for sports news and it takes forever to see anything on the website listed. See and track for yoursleves if you do not believe me. All I want is for the Newport local sports writers to comment on what they see or feel that should go on. BOTH writers post and view threads on this site. BOTH are lurking and remain quiet. It is their choice, but whats a few comments? Are you scared to offer some insight?... because neither writer will do it in the paper. I have offered my 2?? on this deal and have given plenty of examples on why things are the way they are. I did so because there were some kids I had worked with in the past and they were cheated each and every year!!! I live in Florida now and I could really care less at this point. I could bring middle school kids up to Newport and beat CCHS any time and any place! The difference between the 2 states is not about talent... it's really the coaching, dedication, development, discipline, and desire that coaches, support staffs, players, boosters, and other people involved bring to the table. This is from little leagues to high schools and even the transition to college.

So if Newport, CCHS, or what have you does not care, or does not want to be involved... then why have a team?

The absence of players on here sends the message of a gag order. There has been one player from the past comment on here, why not more? Former players? Parents, where are you? If you give a rats arse about your kids' future, why not get involved? I would love for a coach to get on here and tell me about the outline of the program, practices, off-season development, and organizational involvement of the program and why it is not working. Notice how they have not stepped forward in any defense... (just like the football team). Anyways, I'm sure I am now labeled the bad guy, the basher, the villian, the Florida guy that hates us.... whatever... if I did not care about the athletes who shed sweat and tears this season, the ones who were misled on false hope about a changing program, then why bother? No one else, but like 4 or 5 people seem to be wanting to take a stand... AND 2 OF THEM ARE COSBY COACHES!!! HAHA! I mean they care enough and they are part of a program that CCHS tries to ###### on every chance they can get!

If people do not want to step forward and try and make a difference for the kids and the program, then whats the use? I can sit down here (in FL) and be completely satisfied that I gave a small group of kids the best possible speed, strength, & agility training in this industry and gave them an opportunity to train like professional athletes and make a difference in their athletic careers and hopefully that attitude/work ethic would carry over to life's challenges. In turn, I was met by jealously, envy, and ignorance. I will say this one more time, if everything is not being done, this goes from offseason clinics, player recruitment (heck buy them shirts, jackets, whatever to get them out), player development, middle school involvement, boosters, the whole nine yards.... STEP UP OR STEP ASIDE!

If any CCHS players actually read this, I ask you to challenge your coaches to make you the best possible student-athlete you can possibly be. Work hard every day, attend the University of Tennessee Strength & Conditioning Clinic (even if you have to go with Cosby!), do speed work (RUN) in the winter, and get the best possible marks in the classroom, even if it means off-season study hall after weightlifting!

In closing, this really is not worth my time anymore... I would like to see CCHS win and be the steamroller instead of being part of the pavement. It can be done, it's very simple... it really is, but until everyone works together and puts all the BS aside, it will never, and I repeat, NEVER will work. I do wish everyone involved good luck, because you will need it. Be the best you can for your kids, seriously, because this stuff does not go on at other places and this era has tarnished a once proud and strong football program. The program, former players of the past deserve better and so do the current players.

Just get it right... no excuses, no exceptions.

Not sure how many of the players have a coacht account. The football boards for cocke county have always been thin. Cosby boards have a lot of people come out it seems. The only board Cocke County people have really been involved in is the lady red basketball program it seems. They got some good parent support from players who have played their whole lives.

I just feel like the kids are getting cheated as well so I felt like I should give details as to what all has went on the past couple years and Parker's post have backed these up as he has heard from players and parents and seen for himself how things have been ran around here.

I know Cosby's coaches are around here on CoachT but never have really seen or heard any CCHS coaches. Like I said earlier we just took ourselves to the UT strength camp because nobody else was going to. If the coaches are not going to step their game up, then maybe it will be on the kids to do it themselves. I know a lot of us would go lift and find outside help for training on our own.

The parents who wanted to be active in the program the last couple of years have been met with animosity for the most part it seemed to me. They were almost always tried to be pushed away. Some of the community members may take it to extremes in their animosity towards a coach, but we do have some smart people who know athletics around here who could help steer the program back to where it should be. They've coached winning middle school teams, pee wee teams, and so on. They know sports and what it takes to be successful, they just don't have the teaching degree it takes to be a coach. Their advice could still be taken if a coach wsa willing to listen.

I see where CCHS has now added a snowboard racing team.

That should pull a few players out of the offesason program.

BTW- 3 weeks after the end of the season... CCHS is STILL not lifting weights.

(Told to me by a parent!)

Sorry, but if I was 0-10, I would have given those players a week off and the ones who were not in basketball would be lifting every day.

Looks like it's the old "We start back after Christmas break" deal.

Let's just de-train our players even further (since there was no inseason lifting program) since the summer.

If the do not start back until after the break, that will be close to 11 weeks without doing anything.

Last year they started back with 2 weeks left and then quit... how smart is that?

I see where CCHS has now added a snowboard racing team.

That should pull a few players out of the offesason program.

BTW- 3 weeks after the end of the season... CCHS is STILL not lifting weights.

(Told to me by a parent!)

Sorry, but if I was 0-10, I would have given those players a week off and the ones who were not in basketball would be lifting every day.

Looks like it's the old "We start back after Christmas break" deal.

Let's just de-train our players even further (since there was no inseason lifting program) since the summer.

If the do not start back until after the break, that will be close to 11 weeks without doing anything.

Last year they started back with 2 weeks left and then quit... how smart is that?

That's just how they're gonna keep doing it I guess. They will most likely start around December then go till Christmas break then start back around mid-January. That was the custom during the Jones era, so I'm guessing Kelley is just gonna keep the tradition alive. They'll actually do something from about February to April (just guessing). Then spring practice will roll around, take another week off then get back to morning lifts with nobody showing up in the summer. It's not gonna change unless something makes it change I'm afraid. Most likely won't lift during season either, except maybe on a Tuesday or Wednesday

That's just how they're gonna keep doing it I guess. They will most likely start around December then go till Christmas break then start back around mid-January. That was the custom during the Jones era, so I'm guessing Kelley is just gonna keep the tradition alive. They'll actually do something from about February to April (just guessing). Then spring practice will roll around, take another week off then get back to morning lifts with nobody showing up in the summer. It's not gonna change unless something makes it change I'm afraid. Most likely won't lift during season either, except maybe on a Tuesday or Wednesday

If I were a coach or parent in Newport,I'd call a big football meeting during lunch time and bring in free food to all that attend.I'd try and get the students and parents fired up about the program and then get the young men's pride boiling for football.I'd try and get as many out right now like a tough guy contest.Only the few and the proud will bring this team back to it's glory days!! It would be up to the young men to run and do pushups,setups and if they have weights they can use,USE them.That's besides what the coaches do with them at school. I know,because I help mine at home and get him to a gym.If you don't have weights at home,they can probably use the schools.I just bet that there is a proud dad or two in Newport that could help do something like what I'm saying.Put a fire under somebody down there !!

If I were a coach or parent in Newport,I'd call a big football meeting during lunch time and bring in free food to all that attend.I'd try and get the students and parents fired up about the program and then get the young men's pride boiling for football.I'd try and get as many out right now like a tough guy contest.Only the few and the proud will bring this team back to it's glory days!! It would be up to the young men to run and do pushups,setups and if they have weights they can use,USE them.That's besides what the coaches do with them at school. I know,because I help mine at home and get him to a gym.If you don't have weights at home,they can probably use the schools.I just bet that there is a proud dad or two in Newport that could help do something like what I'm saying.Put a fire under somebody down there !!

Yea they do have a dead period..I knew just wasn't thinking at the time. They won't do nothing until sometime in January most likely tho. Not sure when or if they'll do plyometrics and speed building training. Just guessing on how I've seen it done in the past. They could change it up. I'd encourage the kids to workout on their own time, but the majority of it should still come during the team workouts because it brings the team together. Bring back the strongman competitions and make for a reward system like a free t-shirt or something for coming to like 90-95 percent of the workouts.

why reward someone if they are not there 100% of the time. perhaps if the coach held the kids responsible, lifting and wins would be easier. what i am talking about is going at 700am in the summer to give those kids who work the opportunity to do so and have all the kids together. make it a FAMILY feeling in there! this is just my OPINION!

why reward someone if they are not there 100% of the time. perhaps if the coach held the kids responsible, lifting and wins would be easier. what i am talking about is going at 700am in the summer to give those kids who work the opportunity to do so and have all the kids together. make it a FAMILY feeling in there! this is just my OPINION!

Come on, get real.... CCHS can barely get 25 kids to come out at 3:30 pm in the afternoon!

I agree with the accountability factor and strict discipline. Those two things have been lacking in the program for it's entirety.

CCHS is fully capable of winning ballgames... at least going .500 every year. Until there are changes at the top and a complete sweep of the coaching staff, kids wont come out and parents plus community will not give full support.

You could hire Bill Parcells in Newport right now and kids would not come out and people would still btch.